FF program enhancements*

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:38 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Isn't QF FF already at the top end for redemption rates
In many cases they are way beyond the top end, especially for premium cabin redemptions. So expect further erosion of points value as this enhancement is implemented.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Leumas
I agree with simongr, that told us nothing. (Not criticising moa999, thanks for the posting it though.)

I eagerly await for the news on what they plan to take away. As we know, they will never give on one hand and not take away from another.

I suspect the take away will be even worse than last time (and we thought it was bad then). The last round was mostly caused by the introduction of the Skybed. Now, we're looking at the A380, Premium Economy, Skybed 2, improved First, brand new lounges, and even AVOD...! Imagine the possibilities...!
However - although there is a lot of good expensive stuff coming - this is different to the Skybed in that this is not an upgrade to an existing product but a diversification of the product - QF should see improved profitability and less strain on the fleet (more flexibility to deal with issues) as the new product comes on board - so there doenst need to be an increase in redemption rates (and I am not sure people could stomach pay 1,000,000 points for a F return to LHR for two )

I am just relieved that I switched to AA but still earn enough on my amex to "pay" for 4 F upgrades a year - more than enough
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by simongr
I am just relieved that I switched to AA but still earn enough on my amex to "pay" for 4 F upgrades a year - more than enough
It seems that the AA program is more generous, is there a link which shows a comparison? (Did a search but nothing came up)

I move to the US later in the year, currently less than 400 SC from Platinum by 31 December, should I start earning in AA instead?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:07 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
It seems that the AA program is more generous, is there a link which shows a comparison? (Did a search but nothing came up)

I move to the US later in the year, currently less than 400 SC from Platinum by 31 December, should I start earning in AA instead?
Unless you have some kind of affinity for the Flagship Lounges at LAX and ORD, you should continue earning w/AA and enjoy the benefits of QF Gold, namely AAdmirals Club (and in select cities BA Terraces lounge) access + free drinkies.

QF Plat + AA Plat = go for it.

QF Gold + AA Plat = good too.

QF Gold + AA Gold = ok, but not too many upgrAAdes...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdmaus
I think the burn rate for QF is obscene, especially if you only earn by flying.

However on the good side - you get 1.5 miles per A$ on the Qantas Amex.

In the UK I only get up to 1.5 miles per Ł - so BA miles are about 2.4 times harder to come by (and should be worth 2.4 times more)!

I'm still sitting on my BA companion voucher - and 147K miles... initially I was aiming for LHR-SFO in Club - but 100K points came and went - now I nearly have enough for FIRST... but somehow 200K doesn't seem so far off and that's enough for LHR-SYD in Club - I think I could cope with that (+ free companion)
Get a BD credit card and earn 2 miles per pound which gets closer to bridging the gap.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:21 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Well as someone that had several hundred thousand QF miles expire under the old rules as there was no availability and now sitting on over half a million and cannot get a redemption from LHR to SYD in October (according to the QF computer) in any class, then it does not matter if they charge a million miles for a redemption on the A380 on the Kangaroo Route.

When are QF going to realise that I cannot book a redemption flight 300+ days in advance? Still, as it is an Australian frequent shopper programme and not a 1W frequent flyer programme for redemption, then what do you expect?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:31 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Well as someone that had several hundred thousand QF miles expire under the old rules as there was no availability and now sitting on over half a million and cannot get a redemption from LHR to SYD in October (according to the QF computer) in any class, then it does not matter if they charge a million miles for a redemption on the A380 on the Kangaroo Route.

When are QF going to realise that I cannot book a redemption flight 300+ days in advance? Still, as it is an Australian frequent shopper programme and not a 1W frequent flyer programme for redemption, then what do you expect?
Try calling the Platinum desk. They are usually very good at looking at alternate routings and even opening up seats for plats.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:21 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Try calling the Platinum desk. They are usually very good at looking at alternate routings and even opening up seats for plats.
yes they have been known to request (and obtain) a seat from revenue management for plats on occaison. i know someone that this was done for. worth a try i guess. spotwelder you're getting used to those seats down the back of the bus now aren't you?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I don't know that we have "sucker" written all over us.. but closer to "captive audience" - given that DJ, while they do have velocity, it really can't compete in this area (IMHO) and the foreign airline loyalty programs would only capture a small percentage of customers, and anyone who is high enough yield to QF for them to care about (read J and F buying passengers) would be locked into QFF anyway.

Of course we know anytime the word "enhancement" is used it's BAD for the customer!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 3:54 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
yes they have been known to request (and obtain) a seat from revenue management for plats on occaison. i know someone that this was done for. worth a try i guess. spotwelder you're getting used to those seats down the back of the bus now aren't you?
yep, back of the bus for me most of the year. I think it has been one AA YUP F sector, three I class sectors on BA and four sectors cuckoo clock airways. That gives a hit rate of 6%. As my osteopath would say, you are spending more on getting your back fixed from all this long haul Y flying than you are on airfares.

Mind you, I have just applied for a job in New Zealand and hope to get an interview so that I can get the four sectors for renewal in that way as NZ domestic run up and down the country. It might be a better way than overnight to SYD, a couple of CBRs and back to the UK in the afternoon as the cheapest way to do it for London based. Apparently asking the powers that be to arrange for a big crash in Australia so that I can get four sectors in might be unethical.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Why not? I am thsi week planning a RTW AAward booking in July next year. Frankly with my travel schedule, wife's work commitments and locking the rest of teh overases family, if I didnt book 330 days+ in advance I wouldnt be able to confirm the vacation. My UK family have already complained that I couldnt commit to a tarvel date early enough for them!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Apparently asking the powers that be to arrange for a big crash in Australia so that I can get four sectors in might be unethical.
aircraft crashes - you're probably right. though we do seem to be doing a good job at train and ferry crashes on our own already

Last edited by justin_krusty; Aug 19, 2007 at 10:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
They've been great in my experience - organised some seats in J to Rome & back for the MIL a couple of years ago, along with some more recent domestic J awards. Top marks.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:41 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Any Seat Award

I hope this hasn't been posted already. If yes, please delete. It came with a QF E-Mail today.

"From mid 2008 exciting new benefits are planned, including increased seat availability for when you want to fly with our new Any Seat Awards. We're also planning to expand our extensive family of partners and our reward range, so you'll be able to earn and redeem points in a variety of new ways."
Old Aug 20, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I hope this hasn't been posted already. If yes, please delete. It came with a QF E-Mail today.

"From mid 2008 exciting new benefits are planned, including increased seat availability for when you want to fly with our new Any Seat Awards. We're also planning to expand our extensive family of partners and our reward range, so you'll be able to earn and redeem points in a variety of new ways."
It was an a newsletter for "The Business Traveler" from Qantas.

The interesting part read:
Originally Posted by More for Frequent Flyers
From mid 2008 exciting new benefits are planned...
A pertinent section of the Terms & Conditions reads:
3.2 Qantas will use best efforts to advise Members of material changes to these Terms and Conditions and, where such changes will limit Benefits:
(a) where the Benefit is provided by Qantas, to give Members at least 6 months' notice;
(b) where the Benefit is provided by a third party, where possible give Members at least 30 days' notice.
So expect an announcement six months earlier; I guess any time from November.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 20, 2007 at 7:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.