Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Whoops

Last edited by QF WP; Feb 24, 2008 at 6:05 pm Reason: double entry when editing????
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Well, my count was 32 members, with 31 Gold (from the first post) and futaris from Silver able to make it. Of course, we had a member in absentia (NM) who SMS'ed me from KL and whose apology was made at the beginning of the meeting. Apology also received from IainF, who was in the process of negotiating the sale of his house.

Thanks to all for attending from far and wide - I think Dot gets the record flying in from ICN via HKG to attend) and the furthest member was from PER - oz_mark (via work in MEL). Was great to meet so many new members attending the Do for the first time and happy to share what job I did to keep WP for so long. Was fantastic to see all my FT & AFF friends from previous AGM's and other Do's. What a story from GoldFlyer about the Crew member in J who's a FT-lurker and knew about you all being on board going to BNE for an "extravagant day".

Well, I think we created 3 records yesterday:

1. Most people attending the AGM (I'll have to go back to previous AGM threads to check numbers there, but am pretty certain)
2. Most FT'ers ever paged for a flight (sounds like it was 18, because Aus_Mal was already on board)
3. Second most FT'ers in history (from what I can ascertain) to catch the same plane to a Do. I heard from somebody that the most is 23 to a Hawai'i Do in 1999. If that's the case, then I seriously think we need to beat that record next year [even ozfest VI can't beat that).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by QF WP
... 2. Most FT'ers ever paged for a flight (sounds like it was 18, because Aus_Mal was already on board). ...
Actually, both Aus_Mal and I heard the announcement as were were walking through to the air bridge, shortly after swiping out BP's. 30 Seconds difference and it would have been us two as well.

So that makes 17.

(FWIW, from the FLounge I saw one of the A380's take off while awaiting my flight to KIX last month).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by QF WP
Well, I think we created 3 records yesterday:
4. Hottest sustained temperature for a QP meeting

I also think you need to address the two meetings that occurred. The first one in the dedicated FT corner between 3 of us - as per the original agenda, and the other unauthorised meeting with about 30 of you (in the unairconditioned part of the QP).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by og
4. Hottest sustained temperature for a QP meeting

I also think you need to address the two meetings that occurred. The first one in the dedicated FT corner between 3 of us - as per the original agenda, and the other unauthorised meeting with about 30 of you (in the unairconditioned part of the QP).
Point of order. The AGM did convene in FT corner but quickly amended the location when we realised aircon not coming back on immediately after the 2 power cuts + west facing windows + afternoon sun + hottest BNE day in 4 years = recipe for heat.

The 3 late-comers had the unauthorised meeting.

Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

The "Aye's" have it.

Pop quiz - who was the youngest WP to attend dinner?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:34 pm

I speak!

<tired status="at work, had coffee, but stiiiilllll tiiiiiiiirrrrreeeeedddd.......">
<long post>

Reflections

For my first proper attendance at a FT AGM, it was an excellent day-experience. I was so glad to put more names (including our human names) to faces and see what kind of people we all are. (I still have a multitude of friends and family who cannot believe how one could be interested in flying and/or frequent flyer miles and promotions). I didn't get more than a few winks of sleep between the times 22-02-2008 0330h and 23-02-2008 2200h, so how I kept awake I have no idea (especially with all that alcohol); I do believe I'm partly paying the price now.........

For those that wondered when I disappeared...I went with futaris back to the city before most of the group left for home-bound flights or the Norman Hotel. I would have liked to stay for the latter + post-drinks or whatever occurred of sorts, but by 1800ish I have to admit I was buggered and my body was almost ready to go on strike (not unlike that which BNE baggage handlers sometimes like to put on).

I hope to write a mini-TR for the two days 22/02 and 23/02, including some from the AGM. Where and when I will post it will be very much variable (look forward to seeing other photos out of AGM day from all of you).

The Top 3 Best and Worst

Top three best things that happened on AGM day:
  • FLounge: breakfast, friends and the view - I'm more than ready for next time!
  • QF175 and the associated antics - look forward to the next time to see if we can break the record (or perhaps break someone's patience - eep! ). I didn't hear the FT group being welcomed by the CSM, but that was probably because I was "at the back" in 35K.
  • The group shot near the end of the AGM - the idea of stacking the tables on top of each other, the mini-tripod and the efforts/running-sprinting/antics involved in getting four cameras set up with timers for the group photo.

Top three worst things that happened on AGM day:
  • Brisbane heat and humidity (the latter especially). Partially responsible for much of the beer consumed over lunch; thank goodness that there was actually fresh air flowing at the QP for the AGM (save for the less than optimal temperature inside). It's been a summer turned upside down, I tell ya!
  • An excessively early QF175 final boarding call followed by a lengthy delay anyway. It was well worth it to see the SQ A380 as well as the overly long page from Gate 36 - but a 30 minute boarding time followed by a final boarding call 5 minutes later - come on!
  • The long line at check-in counters in the D block at SYD T1 for QF flights. With so many flights that morning why they couldn't have opened the other row in D block is beyond me. Of course, now I realise that I just needed to find someone from FT that would get me into the QC check-in line. Oh well - that's still a small challenge when you've got no phone numbers.

The Thanks List

My fullest thanks go out to everyone who made this AGM possible. From my personal point-of-view:
  • QF WP et. al. for the organisational work involved.
  • QF for offering the 10,000 bonus points promotion, then Bundy Bear for convincing me to attend (thus finding a great excuse not to let the offer slip plus get an extra activity for AGM 2008 = woo hoo!).
  • thadocta for organising FLounge pairs; Febs2 for getting me in (and congratulations on the WP achievement). A big hats off to the attentive, courteous and most dignified staff at the restaurant section of the SYD T1 FLounge. Big thanks also to all the WP members - may you never fall into short supply.
  • DownUnderFlyer, Aus_Mal and littl_flier for an enjoyable time in SYD on the day before the AGM - I owe all of you at least one round at the bar next time...... (yes, you may freely hold that one against me)
  • futaris and ozmerish for providing lifts
  • Countless nameless people who kept the lunch crew well-stocked with wooded XXXX at all times

For all others that made this AGM possible and enjoyable for all despite any opposition (Mother Nature included ), a toast to your valour and efforts. ^^

The Official FT AGM 2008 Roll Call
(according to my notepad that was passed around the BNE QP)
List is sorted in alphabetical order of FT handle. First names withheld to preserve anonymity. Members who were on QF175 also have their manifest code and seat included. QF175 detail was from a manifest believed to be printed before or during time in the FLounge and may be slightly incorrect or otherwise out-of-date. Author accepts no responsibility for the inaccuracy of this list due to people not signing the roll or obtaining last minute changes in seating (including ODUs) on QF175. Omissions and errors may be directed to the author and will be gladly corrected.
* Signed on roll by proxy (shown adjacent in parentheses)

1. anat0l [AN0 - 35K (Y)]
  2. Aus_Mal [MAL - 26H (Y)]
  3. Bundy Bear [BDB - 27H (Y)]
  4. Coathanger [CTH - 28H (Y)]
  5. Dotty
  6. DownUnderFlyer [DUF - 26C (Y)]
  7. Edgysquid
  8. emmell [EML - 30C (Y)]
  9. Febs2 [FB2 - 26B (Y)]
  10. futaris
  11. GoldFlyer [GLF - 3B (J)]
  12. Itsalongwaydown
  13. JohnK*(serfty)
  14. JohnSydney2000 [JS2 - 27K (Y)]
  15. Kiwi Flyer
  16. littl_flier [LTF - 26A (Y)]
  17. medicus [MDS - 27A (Y)]
  18. MetroAir
  19. moa999 [MOA - 26K (Y)]
  20. notzac
  21. og*(serfty)
  22. ozmerish
  23. OzTraveller [OZT - 3A (J)]
  24. perthite [PER - 27C (Y)]
  25. QF WP
  26. serfty [SFY - 29C (Y)]
  27. SFSC
  28. shillard [SHD - 4J (J)]
  29. Skoogle [SKG - 12A (J)]
  30. thadocta [DOC - 27G (Y)]
  31. tuapekastar [TPK - 31C (Y)]
  32. willyroo*(anat0l)

Looking into AGM 2009

As many have mentioned and of which I had no idea, QF175 (as well as most/all international flights with domestic legs) is being phased out. This has me brainstorming the following scenarios if we want to repeat the FLounge experience next year for the AGM:
  1. Consider adding a short-leg international trip ex-SYD for FLounge experience. An example may be SYD-AKL or SYD-CHC (I've got no experience here but I'm guessing they would be the cheapest international trips) which may be flown on QF or JQ (the latter for the budget minded - even cheaper when going on JetSaver Light. The thought of redeeming points for an international leg for this purpose comes to mind....). This proposes three other sub-scenarios within:
    1. Have the AGM at somewhere else besides BNE, i.e. at the international stop. Of course, the stop would need to have a QC (and, by most people here, a decent QC - preferably with working airconditioning/heating/dehumidification/climate control/air cycling/etc., some food and alcohol).
    2. Have the AGM at BNE as usual, but this means having to fly from the international stop to BNE.
    3. Have the AGM at SYD, before flying out to the international stop.
  2. Scrap the FLounge experience

I also propose the following for next year (not because a meeting needs more bureaucracy):
  • Roll (just like this year)
  • Name tags (even just name and handle on an Avery sticky label - but getting badge holders is a piece of cake)
  • A really weird idea: have a circle of all of us and have a session where we start with

First_Name: "Hi. My name is First_Name Surname_Initial."
    Everyone else: "Hi First_Name"
    First_Name: ...

The continuation would need to be decided, but basically it is a parody of a support group like AA, NRA or the like. Good for a chuckle! And may make for some very interesting minutes.

(Note: this post or its author does not condone nor vilify alcoholics or people who support the responsible use of guns)

</long post>
</tired>

Last edited by anat0l; Feb 25, 2008 at 4:06 am Reason: updated roll
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
ATF: Alcohol Tobacco Firearms - should be a convenience sotre, not a GovCo Department.

+1 on the AKL or CHC idea - makes sense to me. Viable for a day trip if necessary, and provides for interesting extra-curriculum activities for those inclined to stay over. Or we could go to Queenstown and dine on Furburgers.

(That's cleaner than you might think - it's a real burger joint.)
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:24 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by anat0l
  1. anat0l [AN0 - 35K (Y)]
  2. Aus_Mal [MAL - 26H (Y)]
  3. Bundy Bear [BDB - 27H (Y)]
  4. Coathanger [CTH - 28H (Y)]
  5. Dotty
  6. DownUnderFlyer [DUF - 26C (Y)]
  7. Edgysquid
  8. emmell [EML - 30C (Y)]
  9. Febs2 [FB2 - 26B (Y)]
  10. futaris
  11. GoldFlyer [GLF - 3B (J)]
  12. Itsalongwaydown
  13. JohnK*(serfty)
  14. JohnSydney2000 [JS2 - 27K (Y)]
  15. Kiwi Flyer
  16. littl_flier [LTF - 26A (Y)]
  17. medicus [MDS - 27A (Y)]
  18. MetroAir
  19. moa999 [MOA - 26K (Y)]
  20. notzac
  21. og*(serfty)
  22. ozmerish
  23. OzTraveller [OZT - 3A (J)]
  24. perthite [PER - 27C (Y)]
  25. QF WP
  26. serfty [SFY - 29C (Y)]
  27. SFSC
  28. shillard [SHD - 4J (J)]
  29. Skoogle [SKG - 12A (J)]
  30. thadocta [DOC - 27G (Y)]
  31. tuapekastar [TPK - 31C (Y)]
At least I was there in spirit eh?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
BZZZZT - wrong - the aforementioned 3 latecomers actually were present in the designated FT corner at the designated starting time (15:00) ^. We had our nice chilled beer in a nice chilled air con then migrated over to the sweat-box that you lot decided to meet in . I must admit that when I checked the computer in the QP, I couldn't understand why someone had posted that 30 of you were collapsing in the FT corner having a meeting.......
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

So maybe we moved locales early?

Perhaps the aircon issue was a plot by QF to make us thirsty?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF WP + PG
littl_flier [LTF - 26A (Y)]
Hmm, unless I've had a sex change and gained about 50 years of age, I ended up in 26D for half the flight before a lovely FA moved me to 12B for "operational" reasons.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by shillard
+1 on the AKL or CHC idea - makes sense to me. Viable for a day trip if necessary, and provides for interesting extra-curriculum activities for those inclined to stay over.
+1 here also - can Mother arrange charter flights? ;-)
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by notzac
+1 here also - can Mother arrange charter flights? ;-)
I presume not in person ... perhaps a charter could be arranged as a memorial to her spirit.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by serfty
I presume not in person ... perhaps a charter could be arranged as a memorial to her spirit.
she did entertain many on her lay flat beds, fiddling with knobs, having the right buttons pressed and being turned on

I guess that means MEL-AKL, but is it on top or down below?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.