Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Old Jul 23, 07, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
VH-OEJ

Has the new look economy class fabric (red) as well as the new seat fabrics in J and F. New carpets and curtains are also featured.
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:21 pm

See the new product at the Qantas Heritage Collection, Sydney domestic terminal (T3) from 7 August .
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:23 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF Attendant View Post
Premium Econ.: 42 inch seat pitch, 19.5 inch width, 9 inch recline. Integrated footrest Water bottle holder and dedicated literature pocket. 10.6 inch in arm Widescreen TV, Noise cancelling headsets, dedicated self service bar, DEDICATED HOSTS AND SOMMELIER TRAINED CREW, contemporary menus, sheet backed blankets and large cotton pillows.
Any news of cabin layout for Y+? We knows its on the upper deck behind J, and guessing from the relative seat widths I assume its going to be 2x3x2, which would be an enhancement over BA's 2x4x2 on 747 and 777. But assume QF will be 2x4x2 on 747 as well.
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:26 pm

Premium Economy will be located on the main deck of B747 aircraft with 32 seats in a two-four-two configuration. On the A380, the cabin will be located on the upper deck with 32 seats in a two-three-two configuration.
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:28 pm
NM

Originally Posted by eoinnz View Post
Premium Economy will be located on the main deck of B747 aircraft with 32 seats in a two-four-two configuration. On the A380, the cabin will be located on the upper deck with 32 seats in a two-three-two configuration.
Thanks for confirming my estimates .
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:31 pm

Thanks NB.

I hope the new design looks better than our old one (I remember when they changed it over...it aged within 6 months!!)

Im gonna miss the lizard curtains

Cheers
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I have updated post #1 to include bigger and better photos.

Photos were taken by the one and only Sam Chui.

You can also see the new fabrics for VH-OEJ in F/J/Y as well as the new fabrics for domestic J and Y (featured on VH-OGD).

There is also a photo showing the full livery of VH-OGD.

Old Jul 24, 07, 12:18 am

Great looking F and J products on the A380, as well as nice looking Y+ seating.

Not too bad flying fully flat J to SYD....or even maybe in F.

to QF. Can't wait to fly them again.
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:27 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Overall, I am pretty impressed with the new products However, there are some areas that I think QF can improve on.

Firstly, having seen the full new livery, my initial thought was "Geez, that 'Spirit of Australia' title does look a little out of place". It would have been better if they it is left where they were, but overall, I quite like the new font type and logo.

Secondly, the new domestic Y and J fabrics does look very good, however, it seems strange that QF choose not to update those awful 80's style ovedrhead bins.

Originally Posted by QF Attendant
...Shell type seats (what does this mean?? Like CX seats?)
It appears the seatback is hard, but when the pax in front of you reclines, it will still encorach into space of the pax directly behind. Whereas on CX, the seatback is fixed so that the seat would simply slide forward when reclined.

It is also a shame for QF not to change the seat pitch in Y to 32"
Old Jul 24, 07, 1:22 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Some comments from JG1 on FF on the new economy seats - seems to know a bit about them and the recline mechanism

---

Seat pitch still the same...the need to cram them in is as important as ever.

The seat though has this clever articulated recline, which means you do not encrouch into the space of the passenger that sits behind you as much., whilst still acheiving the same angle of recline.

Tricky to explain, but ingenius!

---

I assume you mean as the back reclines the seat move forwards which would mean you lose leg room unless the person in front does the same ??
You do lose a little leg room, but again the back is of the seat is moulded to maximise the use of all the avaialble space. Unless you relax with your knees locked together, you'll lose leg space.

If you relax and "lounge" yourself, then even the tallest people should be comfortable.

---

The technological boundaries were really pushed when desgning this seat however, to maximise the space. The seats for example are mounted on a single beam as opposed to the normal 2. Acheiving the necesary strength to pass the 16G tests was no small task. And all this so the passenger has more space for their legs underneath the seat.
Old Jul 24, 07, 1:52 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Flash presentation now on QF website on the A380:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380

And premium economy:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...lClasses/index

Business lounges to open in May 2008:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/qantasClub/qcNews

Last edited by ozzie; Jul 24, 07 at 2:08 am
Old Jul 24, 07, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Economy Plus

So Economy Plus going to be a a UA-style "Economy Plus", or BA-style "World Traveler Plus" ?

ie, only paid for, or free with status?
Old Jul 24, 07, 3:07 am

Programs: QFF WP (95.6% LTG), AA
From the webpage: http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/qantasClub/qcNews

When you next visit the Qantas Club in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, you'll notice new work areas throughout the lounge, an enhanced food and beverage offering, and even a barista service.
Has anyone seen any changes yet? If so, what are they like?

Cheers,

Josh
Old Jul 24, 07, 3:51 am
NM

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
So Economy Plus going to be a a UA-style "Economy Plus", or BA-style "World Traveler Plus" ?

ie, only paid for, or free with status?
I don't expect it to be like either UA or BA. It will be a paid fare type, not a free option for status members.

It will be different from BA in that BA WT+ receive the same food/beverage service as WT, while QF's Y+ press announcements have mode it clear that food/wine will be different to Y.

Search this Thread