Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
New fabric - what a disappoitment

Have just flown in OJD on a D ticket and saw the new fabrics. My observations:

1. I thought I had boarded a tired old United Airlines 767 with their grey seats when I entered OJD with a sea of grey Biz seats infront of me.

2. The grey actually emphasises the close pitch of the domestic Biz class whereas the old blue fabrics hide the seat pitch and really do give a better feeling of space.

3. The grey is already showing wear and it really emphasies when the fabric has not fitted "just right".

Sorry QF, this is a huge blunder. It looks cheap and nasty. Please stop this new fabric madness or at least bring back navy blue in new fabrics.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
OGD
(OJD is a 747-400)

I agree that it doesn't look the best.. When combined with the whites and greys of the cabin it does indeed look bland/tired.

Did you notice improved seat cushioning?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:39 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
og, sorry to see that my fears were realized; it is indeed bland and boring as QF NB states. Flying whY now will be like stuck in a cabin of dreariness worse than any Aeroflot plane. Thank heavens the crew still speak english.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was indeed OGD (sorry QF NB). How I wish it was OJD on the CHC run.

As for bland and boring SU, I have had the pleasure of a ride on an IL62 and lived to tell the tale. It was so long ago that I cannot remember anything of it except for a lot of white over Siberia.

And GoldFlyer, as for the prospect of a sea of grey in whY on OGD, I didn't look past row 2, so am in no position to comment - except that it seemed very bright down there - you know that ghastly place where seat row numbers are usually greater than your age. Perhaps it was indeed called "Siberia class".
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:50 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
A challenge to my own humor Ohh Gee, and one such that I take in great stead. A worthy opponent you are in the friendliest of terms.

Seat 2A, is as old as I have got and in reality, only in cyberspace. Whilst I'm sure 74b is as pleasant as it can be in whY, I preposition that with the argument that if you have to walk that far to your seat, you might as well save your money and walk in any case.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but this thread is now four pages long, and I haven't been able to spot it with a quick scan.

According to the QF press release, the new ShyBed seating on the A380 will have a "fully adjustable in-arm video monitor".

This is a substantial change from the current ShyBed, where (apart from bulkhead/exit row seats) the video monitor is on the back of the seat in front of you. This is a signifigant improvement, as it makes the ShyBed IFE far more user friendly.

Dave
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There's another spiel in the magazine. Seems like more controls are electric - monitors, tray table, privacy screens. More things to malfunction?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:00 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by thadocta
According to the QF press release, the new ShyBed seating on the A380 will have a "fully adjustable in-arm video monitor".

This is a substantial change from the current ShyBed, where (apart from bulkhead/exit row seats) the video monitor is on the back of the seat in front of you. This is a signifigant improvement, as it makes the ShyBed IFE far more user friendly.
Correct. I assume this is due to the horizontal nature of beds needing more distance between your seat and the seat in front, which would result in the viewing distance being too far for many people.

I too prefer the flexible adjustment of the proposed video screen mechanics.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:36 am

I wonder...

I was sitting in the BNE QP this morning and looking at the new domestic business class seats on display, and noticed that they looked a lot like the new PE seat for long haul. A LOT.
I grabbed the Qantas Mag which has pix of both and I reckon the only difference is the colour. (and maybe the pitch....)
The kicker for me was the power points... same spot.. and the foot rests..same set up...

Hope Marc Newsom is getting his fee paid soon......
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IainF
I was sitting in the BNE QP this morning and looking at the new domestic business class seats on display, and noticed that they looked a lot like the new PE seat for long haul. A LOT.
I grabbed the Qantas Mag which has pix of both and I reckon the only difference is the colour. (and maybe the pitch....)
The kicker for me was the power points... same spot.. and the foot rests..same set up...

Hope Marc Newsom is getting his fee paid soon......
Do you mean these?

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/QFnew/DSC_5320.jpg
http://www.samchuiphotos.com/QFnew/DSC_5432.jpg

They look pretty different to me...and I don't think Domestic has new seats. They are just recovering them.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Question

Originally Posted by sxc
Do you mean these?

They look pretty different to me...and I don't think Domestic has new seats. They are just recovering them.
Hmmm....Does that mean Jetstar, I can spell, Starclass is really PE?
QF use domestic J seats for their Premium Economy seats is totally unheard of!
I forgot to see if the new PE seats have PTV in the seat backs, can anyone enlighten me on this question?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Do you mean these?

Correct - they are just the old blue seats with new grey covers. Same old seat controls (working or not). As I commented above, they now make the QF Domestic Biz cabin look like a sad and sorry old UA cabin and the light grey colour emphasises the tight seat pitch. The old blue seats didn't make this quite as obvious.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes the grey is pretty DULL from the pics.

Maybe they are doing this so they can then offload the 767's to UA in a few years time when United works out they should have ordered 787's many years ago.

Or they are using leftover frabic that UA didn't use...

Back to reality, the blue is a much nicer colour than the grey
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:10 pm

Haven't posted on here for ages so hello to you all again...be interested to try the new PE seat at some point. Ive been flying VS PE for the past year now all over the world and their new seat is very very comfortable...

I notice the QF one has better pitch but it is the extra width (21.5 ) in the new leather VS one that makes it so easy to fly in...

More comfortable times ahead on QF flights from London
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Hmmm....Does that mean Jetstar, I can spell, Starclass is really PE?
QF use domestic J seats for their Premium Economy seats is totally unheard of!
I forgot to see if the new PE seats have PTV in the seat backs, can anyone enlighten me on this question?
I think they have in arm PTVs based on the video that just became available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.