Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetConnects 'On Time' performance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:52 pm

You absolutely will not see JQ entering the domestic NZ market. They still have a lot more to do in Australia and Asia.

Tray tables dont get wiped by anyone but the cabin crew inflight - they are not the cleaners responsibility. If we have missed one we apologise in advance

Thismorning I am very angry with Jetconnect so will no comment further on their OTP they absolutely F@#$@% me around yesterday and im almost embarrassed to put my name to anything they do.

Hope you all have a good day! ^
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I've said it many years ago that QF should focus on the NZ domestic market and kick Air NZ's a**e... Then like you said, QF preferred to play nicely nicely with Air NZ instead...

Now, I suspect QF may have missed their opportunity. In the past 18 months or so, Air NZ have shored up quite a bit of their domestic network, with new aircrafts, etc. If anything, JetConnect has very little going for them in the domestic market, e.g., the WLG-CHC route that was cancelled.

Perhaps more than your typical market, NZers are very price sensitive, e.g., the popularity of their 'Grab a Seat' programme. Yes, people complain about the lack of food, lack of entertainment, and lack of whatever on Air NZ domestic routes, but if you give them a cheap fare, they would still take that over a 'full service' airline.

To me, Air NZ is essentially operating as a LCC in the domestic market. It is for that reason I feel there is still room in the market for someone else to come in and operate as a proper LCC, i.e., Jetstar.

Of course, some other LCC can come in, e.g., Virgin (they've talked about it on and off for years now), or even Tiger. But that ship may be sailing too if others don't get into the market soon. Once people's expectations are lowered over time to match reality (what Air NZ are offering), they don't complain and will be quite happy to fly Air NZ loyally.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I do not see why Jetstar will enter the NZ domestic market. How much lower would the costs be? My understanding was that Jetconnect crew are paid similar or lower than Jetstar crew
Also I do not see how Jetstar would be able to fill an A320, 177 seats on the domestic runs, just too big unless they start to sell seats at a loss to fill them up. QF are often cheaper than NZ, unless "Grab a Seat" $1 fares .
If QF does pull out of domestic services and replace it wit Jetstar, I would see that they would lose the corporate deals, last job with a NZ government Ministry had QF as the preferred airline.
Oh workflyer I assume you mean the Cabin Crew clean the tray tables in between flights as I have never seen them do it inflight. The only person whom I see clean the tables etc inflight have been those in BC with the hot towels after they have used them, well at least me.
I believe that aircraft RON in WLG were to have their cabins deep cleaned, well that was before NZ outsourced that job.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Jetkid
Interesting thanks Serfty, any ideas why JTP has been out of service so long, 4 days seems like a long time?

This morning’s 0700 and 1000 AKL/WLG services were also cancelled (along with the return WLG/AKL flights).
Last night hopeful scheduling was also cancelled.

JTP was do to an AKL-AKL proving run at 7am but I have not seen any details.

It is now scheduled to go to BNE this afternoon (departing 2 hours late) and then fly to WLG.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Last night hopeful scheduling was also cancelled.

JTP was do to an AKL-AKL proving run at 7am but I have not seen any details.

It is now scheduled to go to BNE this afternoon (departing 2 hours late) and then fly to WLG.
I see it got away at 1639 to BNE, hopefully it's going to behave itself! The rest of the schedule doesn't look to bad today.

The AKL/LAX service due out at 1755 last night left this morning at 0427, what was the problem there anyone know?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may find it has gone to WLG; JNB ended up taking JTP's scheduled routing today.

JTP is now scheduled to depart WLG at 6am tomorrow.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:05 am

Made a double post - sorry!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Oh workflyer I assume you mean the Cabin Crew clean the tray tables in between flights as I have never seen them do it inflight. The only person whom I see clean the tables etc inflight have been those in BC with the hot towels after they have used them, well at least me.
I believe that aircraft RON in WLG were to have their cabins deep cleaned, well that was before NZ outsourced that job.
No, I meant inflight - if they are dirty we wipe them when we are clearing in, thats the only time they EVER get done. If you dont like that, may I encourage you to write to the cleaners union in Australia who made the decission that it was out of their job description

There was talk that the leftover 717s would eventually come and fly as Jetstar flights in New Zealand and Qantas would keep the AKL - WLG. I think they have forgetten about this.

When you say JQ cabin crew get paid the same or less than Jetconnect, you are very wrong. Jetstar CC are actually the highest pain FAs in Australia. What affects their pay scale is the lack of tax free allowances as they dont have many overnights, but their HUGE base salary covers this nicely. The CHC based Jetstar CC are infact just Jetconnect employees who wear JQ uniforms and are A320 trained. They share the same contract as all Jetconnect employees - I imagine their take home pay is rediculous with no overnights on their rosters.

JTP's test flights today kept getting put back and back and I believe when I left work an hour ago it was still in the hangar. Yes JNB went to BNE, I came off it just prior from ZQN. Would love to got ot BNE all Y. . . what a luxury having 4 crew dedicated to Y would be..
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:06 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by workflyer
No, I meant inflight - if they are dirty we wipe them when we are clearing in, thats the only time they EVER get done. If you dont like that, may I encourage you to write to the cleaners union in Australia who made the decission that it was out of their job description

There was talk that the leftover 717s would eventually come and fly as Jetstar flights in New Zealand and Qantas would keep the AKL - WLG. I think they have forgetten about this.

When you say JQ cabin crew get paid the same or less than Jetconnect, you are very wrong. Jetstar CC are actually the highest pain FAs in Australia. What affects their pay scale is the lack of tax free allowances as they dont have many overnights, but their HUGE base salary covers this nicely. The CHC based Jetstar CC are infact just Jetconnect employees who wear JQ uniforms and are A320 trained. They share the same contract as all Jetconnect employees - I imagine their take home pay is rediculous with no overnights on their rosters.

JTP's test flights today kept getting put back and back and I believe when I left work an hour ago it was still in the hangar. Yes JNB went to BNE, I came off it just prior from ZQN. Would love to got ot BNE all Y. . . what a luxury having 4 crew dedicated to Y would be..
Thanks for replying workflyer I enjoy your posts and get some good information from them.
I was mistaken about the Jetstar CC I see that NZ Jetstar are paid the same or less than the Jetconnect CC, they are the same without the allowances. It was just my misinterpretation of what I was told by a Jetconnect CSM
For the tray tables I have never seen a QF FA do it. In business I tend to beat them to it with the "used" hot towel. While in WHY they get hit with a refresher towel that miraculously appears.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Thanks for replying workflyer I enjoy your posts and get some good information from them.
I was mistaken about the Jetstar CC I see that NZ Jetstar are paid the same or less than the Jetconnect CC, they are the same without the allowances. It was just my misinterpretation of what I was told by a Jetconnect CSM
For the tray tables I have never seen a QF FA do it. In business I tend to beat them to it with the "used" hot towel. While in WHY they get hit with a refresher towel that miraculously appears.
I understand, Jetconnect crew often forget there is a much larger Qantas Group operation outside of NZ. Ive overheard one crew member arguing with a passenger over the fact that between certain hours on Australian domestic flights (he just said domestic, not australian) there is a complimentary bar - The FAs response? - "Never, ive worked here for 3 years and havent had that".. I was forced to step in and explain that yes IBAR does exist on Australian domestic services but the nature of the short sectors in NZ has our service redesigned. (yeh ok that covers it )

It wouldnt hurt the trainers to give the crew some more insight into the other service Qantas offers outside of Jetconnect and such.

In regards to the tray tables - firstly thank you for wiping your own ^. W only wipe them if they are filthy, We dont wipe every single one as we come through. Unhygenic? Well next time you see a Flight Attendant with a bad pimple breakout its probably not because they have been eating too much KFC but more likely they have a full roster and spending too many hours in that environment
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:01 pm

They share the same contract as all Jetconnect employees - I imagine their take home pay is rediculous with no overnights on their rosters.
I think you mean that Jetstar share the same contract as all Jetconnect short haul employees.

Jetconnect has a short haul, long haul and Jetstar division. Short haul taking care of domestic and most 737 trans tasman services, long haul on long haul flights where QF wants us and Jetstar operating the trans tasman services.

At long haul there are 2 different contracts you can be on - either an individual contract or a collective agreement.

Last edited by eoinnz; Jul 17, 2007 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by eoinnz
I think you mean that Jetstar share the same contract as all Jetconnect short haul employees.

Jetconnect has a short haul, long haul and Jetstar division. Short haul taking care of domestic and most 737 trans tasman services, long haul on long haul flights where QF wants us and Jetstar operating the trans tasman services.

At long haul there are 2 different contracts you can be on - either an individual contract or a collective agreement.
Sorry, yes of course that is what I meant, and of course at SH there is the option of individual and collective agreements but I am yet to find a person on the individual agreement that does not share the same contract as everyone else, just with a different header.

Thanks for finding that and clearing it up eoinnz.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:20 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
It wouldnt hurt the trainers to give the crew some more insight into the other service Qantas offers outside of Jetconnect and such.
Maybe standard training procedures for all QF group employees should include regular use of FlyerTalk as a reference resource .
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... JTP's test flights today kept getting put back and back and I believe when I left work an hour ago it was still in the hangar. Yes JNB went to BNE, I came off it just prior from ZQN. Would love to got ot BNE all Y. . . what a luxury having 4 crew dedicated to Y would be..
Not so nice for those booked in J

As for JTP, no 6am flight today - it's currently scheduled to depart AKL this afternoon.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
... As for JTP, no 6am flight today - it's currently scheduled to depart AKL this afternoon.
And depart it did! 3 minutes late at 14:38!

Cheers ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.