Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World Lounges in HK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:33 am
Original Poster

One World Lounges in HK

Platinum ff with Qantas flying Y with Cathay Brisbane-HK-LHR.

I know as a one world emerald, you are allowed to use any partner lounge but I've heard of people being turned away from the Cathay lounges if they are not Marco Polo members.

Anyone had experience of this? Particularly in Hong Kong.

Presumably I can use the Qantas lounge if there are any problems but I just fancied a change.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:44 am

You should have no issues accessing the Cathay lounges. As a OneWorld Emerald (Qantas Plat) you will have access to their First lounges at the Pier and Wing.

Two of the best airline lounges in the OneWorld network. The Qantas one is ok, but nothing compared to the Cathay lounges. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
You can use the Frist Class WING (or PIER) lounge in HKG. Forget the QF lounge. You don't even need a printed invitation (that CX will give you). Just turn up, flash your WP (Platinum) card and you are in. If they like the look of your face, they might even give you another boarding pass for a "better seat" (so dress neatly).

By the way, welcome to FT!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by platinumalex

I know as a one world emerald, you are allowed to use any partner lounge but I've heard of people being turned away from the Cathay lounges if they are not Marco Polo members.

Presumably I can use the Qantas lounge if there are any problems but I just fancied a change.
Highly unlikely. I have never heard of anyone being turned away from the Wing/Pier by CX, they really follow through on their OW commitments, sometimes over and above whats required (putting J tags on my bags even in Y) more so than any other OW airline,. They may suggest to you that you are flying on QF and they operate their own lounge, incase you were unaware, but you can politely say you would like to try the CX lounge.

Wing/Pier is much nicer but QF can be good during non-QF/BA times as its pretty much empty if you want to work.

Edit to add Welcome to FT
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I love the Wing/Pier - I basically route through HKG jutst for that - I will suffer a couple extra hour delay just for that.

The J and F lounges are great (you need to go to the J lounge if you ant to sit at the world's longest airport bar ) and the staff have been immpecable when I have been there - even letting a VS guest with me to the F lounge (I was travelling F on CX)

Enjoy

Dont forget the free wireless internet throughout the airport
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: Qantas
Agree with all of the above. You must try out the Cabanas and the dining in the Wing (not possible to do so simultaneously, I don't think...)
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
IMHO, dining/bar is best in the Pier and the Cabanas (i.e. bath/shower facility) best in the Wing.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by simongr
- I will suffer a couple extra hour delay just for that. ...

Not sure "suffer" is the correct term.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:37 pm

Well it's only the J lounge for the next visit - the trauma will be terrible!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Perhaps we should set up a STICKY to organise WING / PIER meetings?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:58 pm

Couldn't we use www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/ba97.asp ?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: QF WP

A lot of Cathay Lounge are operated by third parties which may explain why non Marco Polo club members have been denied access when they are on a OW airline other than Cathay. Cathay will absolutely, positively not turn you away from the Wing or the Pier in HK. I never use the Qantas/BA lounge in HK unless I am flying on a non OW airline and I don't have access to that airline's lounge. I have used the Cathay F lounges when I am flying Finnair, QANTAS or more recently JAL and never had so much as a raised eyebrow. BTW - you are in for a treat. They are great lounges. I was in the Concorde Room in London on Tuesday and compared to the Cathay F lounges in HK, it was feeble. It took me several glasses of Belle Epoque to get over my disappointment...
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your welcomes - I've been a long-time lurker but never needed to post before.

Thanks also for your knowledgeable & helpful replies.

BTW - Would anyone be able to tell me if Cathay gives me the additional baggage allowance that I normally get as a Platinum/emerald or is that something that is only offered by when flying my 'home' airline.

thanks in advance
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:07 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
BTW - Would anyone be able to tell me if Cathay gives me the additional baggage allowance that I normally get as a Platinum/emerald or is that something that is only offered by when flying my 'home' airline.
Extra baggage allowance is not a OneWorld benefit. It is a Qantas benefit for Qantas FF members when flying Qantas operated and coded flights. So no, CX will not provide any additional baggage allowance.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by NM
Extra baggage allowance is not a OneWorld benefit. It is a Qantas benefit for Qantas FF members when flying Qantas operated and coded flights. So no, CX will not provide any additional baggage allowance.

But, it is CX so they may allow excess baggage, depending on the port you check in at. They will also tag your bags F as an emerald, which is not a OW benefit (unless travelling in F)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.