Qantas To Axe ADL-AKL

Old May 11, 07, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Qantas To Axe ADL-AKL

Qantas will suspend its three times a week direct services between Adelaide and Auckland from July 23 this year.

The decision is in response to sluggish market demand, Qantas' South Australian regional general manager Terry Simpson said.

Qantas launched the Auckland-Adelaide service in December 2004 but it had not delivered the results to make it viable for the airline, Mr Simpson said
Old May 11, 07, 2:14 am

Thats a shame, The SA Tourism Association have spent a lot of money promoting ADL and SA on the TV here in AKL. At least Air NZ's direct services will still be available.
Old May 11, 07, 10:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Jetkid View Post
Thats a shame, The SA Tourism Association have spent a lot of money promoting ADL and SA on the TV here in AKL. At least Air NZ's direct services will still be available.
It is a shame.
There have been times when NZ have actually put on a 777 for the demand on that route, usually A320.
I have noticed lots of ads for SA as well in Wellington and the Mrs and I were thinking of taking a flight over after reading this month's Australian Way with the Clare Valley article.
Old May 11, 07, 11:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
All it shows is that qantas has done something wrong as it seems that air nz is doing great on akl-adl. Although 5hrs on a 737 wouldnt be very nice.
Old May 11, 07, 11:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
All it shows is that qantas has done something wrong as it seems that air nz is doing great on akl-adl. Although 5hrs on a 737 wouldnt be very nice.
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both. So NZ can clean up on the route while QF decides that flying via MEL or SYD is not so bad. And maybe it actually is better for QF (allowing the non-stop ADL-AKL service to be replaced by connections to CHC and WLG as well as AKL -- these might well be more attractive as CHC-SYD-ADL than as CHC-AKL-ADL). A great illustration of the problems of competing against a fortress hub, even in such a small market.
Old May 12, 07, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Interesting point; I guess a similar situation exists with PER as well.
Old May 12, 07, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both. So NZ can clean up on the route while QF decides that flying via MEL or SYD is not so bad. And maybe it actually is better for QF (allowing the non-stop ADL-AKL service to be replaced by connections to CHC and WLG as well as AKL -- these might well be more attractive as CHC-SYD-ADL than as CHC-AKL-ADL). A great illustration of the problems of competing against a fortress hub, even in such a small market.
Nice analysis! ^
Old May 12, 07, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Gold; National EE
I flew AKL-ADL in the early 90s on QF. It was a relatively pleasant 4h flight.
Old May 13, 07, 6:11 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both.
number_6, I agree with your analysis.

Additionally, NZ operate A320s on the route while QF operats JetConnect 737-300 aircraft. The AKL-ADL mission is right in the sweet spot for A320 ops, while it is at the extremity for 733 and would regularly require weight restrictions when head winds are unfavourable. It would work better for QF's 737-800 aircraft, but they really need to use JetConnect to keep the costs down. So another catch-22 for QF and its "advantage NZ" on that route.
Old May 13, 07, 6:46 am

Interesting info about the A320 on the route NM.
I pretty sure, at least initially, 737-800s were used.
Another factor in all this is the timetabling that QF put the flights on, which hardly helped things, though there were some tweaks (perhaps that is when the Jetconnect 737s were brought in).
It is interesting that internationally QF is a pretty much an outside player in Adelaide with SQ offering a daily service with good onward connections and MH also offering a decent service.
I realise it is a small market, but perhaps one has to come back to number_6's analysis as the answer, its all about the feed at the hub.
Old May 13, 07, 7:43 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Interesting point; I guess a similar situation exists with PER as well.
and CNS
Old May 13, 07, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by goback
... I pretty sure, at least initially, 737-800s were used.
Another factor in all this is the timetabling that QF put the flights on, which hardly helped things, though there were some tweaks (perhaps that is when the Jetconnect 737s were brought in). ...
I believe these went from the Qantas VH- 73H's to the Jetconnect ZK- 733/734's on 11th March.
Old May 14, 07, 1:52 am

Programs: VS, Carlson/SPG/Marriott Gold VA/IHG/LeClub Platinum OZ/HH Diamond(+) BA Silver QF NB
Longer

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I flew AKL-ADL in the early 90s on QF. It was a relatively pleasant 4h flight.
I flew that sector a lot last year. They were all Jetconnect 733s and took around 5 hours. Very cramped, and poor timing for business departing Adelaide Mondays and Saturdays.

NZ were much better with Sunday departures.

Guess now I'll have to fly to Melbourne and get on bigger plane with more SCs for the extra sector....every cloud...
Old May 17, 07, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
"Backward State"

What happened to the post from the nasty B who said SA was the backward state, die in hell!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: