Qantas To Axe ADL-AKL

Old May 11, 07, 1:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Posts: 1,425
Qantas To Axe ADL-AKL

Qantas will suspend its three times a week direct services between Adelaide and Auckland from July 23 this year.

The decision is in response to sluggish market demand, Qantas' South Australian regional general manager Terry Simpson said.

Qantas launched the Auckland-Adelaide service in December 2004 but it had not delivered the results to make it viable for the airline, Mr Simpson said
QF NB is offline  
Old May 11, 07, 2:14 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 205
Thats a shame, The SA Tourism Association have spent a lot of money promoting ADL and SA on the TV here in AKL. At least Air NZ's direct services will still be available.
Jetkid is offline  
Old May 11, 07, 10:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,669
Originally Posted by Jetkid View Post
Thats a shame, The SA Tourism Association have spent a lot of money promoting ADL and SA on the TV here in AKL. At least Air NZ's direct services will still be available.
It is a shame.
There have been times when NZ have actually put on a 777 for the demand on that route, usually A320.
I have noticed lots of ads for SA as well in Wellington and the Mrs and I were thinking of taking a flight over after reading this month's Australian Way with the Clare Valley article.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old May 11, 07, 11:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,993
All it shows is that qantas has done something wrong as it seems that air nz is doing great on akl-adl. Although 5hrs on a 737 wouldnt be very nice.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old May 11, 07, 11:16 pm
  #5  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,542
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
All it shows is that qantas has done something wrong as it seems that air nz is doing great on akl-adl. Although 5hrs on a 737 wouldnt be very nice.
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both. So NZ can clean up on the route while QF decides that flying via MEL or SYD is not so bad. And maybe it actually is better for QF (allowing the non-stop ADL-AKL service to be replaced by connections to CHC and WLG as well as AKL -- these might well be more attractive as CHC-SYD-ADL than as CHC-AKL-ADL). A great illustration of the problems of competing against a fortress hub, even in such a small market.
number_6 is offline  
Old May 12, 07, 6:48 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,564
Interesting point; I guess a similar situation exists with PER as well.
serfty is offline  
Old May 12, 07, 7:59 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 14,107
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both. So NZ can clean up on the route while QF decides that flying via MEL or SYD is not so bad. And maybe it actually is better for QF (allowing the non-stop ADL-AKL service to be replaced by connections to CHC and WLG as well as AKL -- these might well be more attractive as CHC-SYD-ADL than as CHC-AKL-ADL). A great illustration of the problems of competing against a fortress hub, even in such a small market.
Nice analysis! ^
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old May 12, 07, 10:36 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,284
I flew AKL-ADL in the early 90s on QF. It was a relatively pleasant 4h flight.
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old May 13, 07, 6:11 am
  #9  
NM
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Actually it shows the importance of feed at a hub. AKL is a miserable hub for QF, pretty good hub for NZ. ADL is miserable hub for both.
number_6, I agree with your analysis.

Additionally, NZ operate A320s on the route while QF operats JetConnect 737-300 aircraft. The AKL-ADL mission is right in the sweet spot for A320 ops, while it is at the extremity for 733 and would regularly require weight restrictions when head winds are unfavourable. It would work better for QF's 737-800 aircraft, but they really need to use JetConnect to keep the costs down. So another catch-22 for QF and its "advantage NZ" on that route.
NM is offline  
Old May 13, 07, 6:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 779
Interesting info about the A320 on the route NM.
I pretty sure, at least initially, 737-800s were used.
Another factor in all this is the timetabling that QF put the flights on, which hardly helped things, though there were some tweaks (perhaps that is when the Jetconnect 737s were brought in).
It is interesting that internationally QF is a pretty much an outside player in Adelaide with SQ offering a daily service with good onward connections and MH also offering a decent service.
I realise it is a small market, but perhaps one has to come back to number_6's analysis as the answer, its all about the feed at the hub.
goback is offline  
Old May 13, 07, 7:43 pm
  #11  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,101
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Interesting point; I guess a similar situation exists with PER as well.
and CNS
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old May 13, 07, 8:16 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,564
Originally Posted by goback
... I pretty sure, at least initially, 737-800s were used.
Another factor in all this is the timetabling that QF put the flights on, which hardly helped things, though there were some tweaks (perhaps that is when the Jetconnect 737s were brought in). ...
I believe these went from the Qantas VH- 73H's to the Jetconnect ZK- 733/734's on 11th March.
serfty is offline  
Old May 14, 07, 1:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maidenhead, UK or Adelaide Australia
Programs: VS, Carlson/SPG/Marriott Gold VA/IHG/LeClub Platinum OZ/HH Diamond(+) BA Silver QF NB
Posts: 3,309
Longer

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I flew AKL-ADL in the early 90s on QF. It was a relatively pleasant 4h flight.
I flew that sector a lot last year. They were all Jetconnect 733s and took around 5 hours. Very cramped, and poor timing for business departing Adelaide Mondays and Saturdays.

NZ were much better with Sunday departures.

Guess now I'll have to fly to Melbourne and get on bigger plane with more SCs for the extra sector....every cloud...
adl73x is offline  
Old May 17, 07, 11:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Programs: QF Platinum
Posts: 32
"Backward State"

What happened to the post from the nasty B who said SA was the backward state, die in hell!
yuppieshrink is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: