Should I have cancelled a DONE4?

Old Feb 26, 07, 1:46 pm
adr
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
Should I have cancelled a DONE4?

I recently booked a DONE4 with Qantas. It was about 4 days before departure, and wasn't an ideal schdule. I ended up flying a different airline, but forgot to cancel the DONE4. I hadn't paid for it, and they said they would hold up until the day of departure. I assumed that it would auto-cancel on the day of departure. When I checked my profile (a couple of days after the first scheduled flight on the DONE4) it was still listed under "My bookings". I also have a message on my voicemail from a Qantas staff member, that was left one-day after the first-scheduled flight.

I know that it would have been polite to cancel it when I knew that I was travelling on another airline. But I didn't. Should I be worried that Qantas will keep a record of my "behaviour" on my profile, and keep this in mind when I next book a DONE4?? Or am I just being paranoid?

(I eventually sent them a sheepish email, about 5 days after the first-scheduled flight, asking them to cancel the booking)
Old Feb 27, 07, 5:48 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by adr View Post
I recently booked a DONE4 with Qantas. It was about 4 days before departure, and wasn't an ideal schdule. I ended up flying a different airline, but forgot to cancel the DONE4. I hadn't paid for it, and they said they would hold up until the day of departure. I assumed that it would auto-cancel on the day of departure. When I checked my profile (a couple of days after the first scheduled flight on the DONE4) it was still listed under "My bookings". I also have a message on my voicemail from a Qantas staff member, that was left one-day after the first-scheduled flight.

I know that it would have been polite to cancel it when I knew that I was travelling on another airline. But I didn't. Should I be worried that Qantas will keep a record of my "behaviour" on my profile, and keep this in mind when I next book a DONE4?? Or am I just being paranoid?

(I eventually sent them a sheepish email, about 5 days after the first-scheduled flight, asking them to cancel the booking)
I'm thinking you probably should have, at the very least for the reason you stated (politeness) but I wouldn't think you're Robinson Crusoe in this regard, and can't imagine this "record" following you around.

I cancelled a LONE4 last year at 6 days notice, but I had an incentive...I had paid for it.

Last edited by tuapekastar; Feb 27, 07 at 7:09 am Reason: LONE4 had morphed into a DONE4
Old Feb 27, 07, 6:01 am

So you didn't have points auto-post from the booking?
bugger!

Would have been nice and polite to cancel before travel, but to be honest, I don't think anyone at Qantas really cares.

Maybe a person or two in Yield Management would have hopped on their calculators to work out their loss, but most others wouldn't care.

I think it would be worse to check-in, then never board than to book a ticket you didn't use.
Old Feb 27, 07, 7:36 am
adr
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
So you didn't have points auto-post from the booking?
bugger!

Just checked - damn! I think that would have over-ridden any guilt though.