Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Maximum check-in time for SYD-SIN in F

Old Jan 7, 07, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

I've tried the search function, but unfortunately haven't found an answer.

We would love to be able to check-in our bags five hours before our flight - is this possible in SYD? (If it is relevant, we are both Oneworld Emeralds)

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 7, 07, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
The F check in people have opened check in for me 8 hours before my J flight to London; but I had no bags to check. Checking in bags may make it a bit difficult ...

It's a bit hard to give more of an answer/opinion without more information. Where are you coming from, what time is your flight and why do you wish to check that early?

I can assure you Qantas F lounge in SYD T1 is nothing to rave about.
Old Jan 7, 07, 11:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
SYD is one of the airports that has limited space for baggage storage and limits early check in of baggage. I think it is 4 hours before flight time officially. I don't remember whether this is enforced by the computer (i.e. agent cannot print baggage tags earlier).
Old Jan 7, 07, 11:32 am

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
I've had to check in very early in SYD before, though in J. It wasn't possible. I had to use the luggage store for about 7 hours, before checking in.

Serfty- sometimes people have arrive really early, and don't want to lug their bags all over town, but not wait at the airport. I had taken a train from my grandparents house to the city to meet family for lunch, and friends for dinner, before a late flight to NRT. Not having checked out of a hotel, I couldn't leave my bags there, and having taken the train, not a rental car, there was no trunk to leave them in!

OP- you can ask, as you are in F, but they will probably direct you to the luggage store. The cost was reasonable- about $10 for a couple of bags for 5 or 6 hours IIRC.
Old Jan 7, 07, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The limit a few months ago was 3 hours , though may indeed have increased to 4 hours. The computer indeed will not allow the check in of bags before it opens

Fortunately, as mentioned, there is baggage storage facillities available at Sydney Airport; in the international terminal it is on the arrivals level , between between the exit from customs (Exit A/B) and the entrance to the train station

Dave
Old Jan 7, 07, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

So with bags to check in it seems your options are limited. If you have to arrive at the airport that early, then Baggage Storage seems your best bet. It currently costs AUD8 per piece for up to 6 hours.

In the case I mentioned above, I had flown up from Melbourne that morning arriving in SYD at 10am for a 6pm flight. The agent made a 'phone call and had the flight "opened" to enable check in; immediately my BP was printed the flight was diligently "closed".
Old Jan 8, 07, 6:38 am

In a couple of days I'm arriving in SYD at 0830 to connect to QF73 (in J) leaving 1535? (unfortunately I had to take the early flight down for meetings all morning). Will my bags be checked through okay in this situation?
Old Jan 8, 07, 8:17 am
Suspended

I heard someone once posted here mentioning about a special counter in T3 (Domestic Terminal) that u can sneak through early checkin baggages?
Old Jan 8, 07, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Gday mrsa, welcome to FT.

What flight are you coming to Sydney on? If it's a QF domestic flight, your bags should be checked through onto QF73; you should not see them until SFO.
Old Jan 8, 07, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by serfty View Post

What flight are you coming to Sydney on? If it's a QF domestic flight, your bags should be checked through onto QF73; you should not see them until SFO.
Thanks Serfty. I am coming down on QF505 (0600-0830). Although the trip is all on the one eticket, I wasn't sure whether being that early (ie 8.5 hours before QF73) they would be able to give me my BP or check my bags through from BNE.

Last edited by mrsa; Jan 8, 07 at 8:46 pm
Old Jan 8, 07, 7:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by serfty View Post

I agree. To add a domestic - domestic perspective, back in 2005 i did a PER > SYD > BNE run where i got into SYD early in the morning, and wasnt flying out till that afternoon. Although it was all on the same booking, the agent in PER refused to check it through, citing the limited storage. I also had to use the storage facility, which ironically was quite small, and wasnt manned when i dropped off or collected.
Old Jan 9, 07, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
The result...

Originally Posted by brightstar100 View Post
I've tried the search function, but unfortunately haven't found an answer.

We would love to be able to check-in our bags five hours before our flight - is this possible in SYD? (If it is relevant, we are both Oneworld Emeralds)

Thanks for your help.

They let us check in seven hours before our flight, but it was clear that they were only allowing us to do this because we were in F. Our luggage was placed on an ordinary airport trolley and taken upstairs by one of the check-in desk staff themselves. The staff were charming.

I have never flown Qantas F until this month (this trip: SYD-SIN, and before that YVR-SYD), but am a regular on BA F. I can't tell you how much more customer focused the Qantas staff are. In my opinion, it puts the BA staff to shame, who are rarely proactive and don't often go the extra mile.
Old Jan 9, 07, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post
I heard someone once posted here mentioning about a special counter in T3 (Domestic Terminal) that u can sneak through early checkin baggages?
So do I. IIRC, it was an "international check-in" desk at T3 which would accept baggage for that day's flights. If it's gone, it would be good to know.
Old Jan 9, 07, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
So do I. IIRC, it was an "international check-in" desk at T3 which would accept baggage for that day's flights. If it's gone, it would be good to know.
There is a desk in domestic for passengers with International Connections rather than an International Check-In ; i.e. for those connecting to an international flight after a domestic service. I have seen people at SYD Domestic with a SYD International departure being sent away to check in at T1.

Dave