Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Paid upgrades into StarClass on JQ offered for $200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrades into StarClass on JQ offered for $200

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:56 pm

Huh, I just tried that again today, and for $200 I can upgrade from JetSaver fare (which earns no QF points) to StarClass. Since this flight is before end of Mar 07, this means I'll also get the 5000 free points.

$200 points for 2869 points (SYD-DPS) and 5000 bonus points. Is it worth it? ~2.5c/pp if you ignore the cost of the original flight.

I spose the Inflight service, meals, etc would make it worth it.

Only shame is that Jetstar only credits to QFF, right? Does anyone know if I can I credit to AA? I'm flying GF later, and AA is the only OW airline that credits points from GF.

Are QF points even useful anymore once you consider the fuel taxes, etc?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:20 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I just tried to upgrade a couple of family members and it said class not available
but when I went into the date and checked there was starclass available so maybe its only the jetflex fares that are upgradeable

or maybe its only by invitation
Same here tried it for flights in May and June to/from Hawaii and Mel and wouldn't let me upgrade.

Only 2 Star Class seats blacked out to Hawaii and 5 on the return, would definately upgrade for $200 each
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by futaris

Only shame is that Jetstar only credits to QFF, right? Does anyone know if I can I credit to AA? I'm flying GF later, and AA is the only OW airline that credits points from GF.

Are QF points even useful anymore once you consider the fuel taxes, etc?
Yes, Jetstar will only credit to QF. Jetstar is not a member of OW, and thus will not credit to any other carrier.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:18 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by AndDee
Same here tried it for flights in May and June to/from Hawaii and Mel and wouldn't let me upgrade.

Only 2 Star Class seats blacked out to Hawaii and 5 on the return, would definately upgrade for $200 each
What dates are you flying? I'm doing SYD-HNL on 19th and back on 26the May in *Class.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
AN_Boy and AndDee, what accommodation options have you considered in the islands? May seems to be low(ish) season. Still, it's looking like several hundred per night at this stage.

Did either of you snare the intro-morning specials to HNL?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:18 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Hi BizziBe, I'm actually going for a friends 40th so didn't really have much choice on dates! As spg I have just booked the royal hawaiian... not the cheapest, but should get a room upgrade etc as a plat member.
My flights cost around $1600 AUD each inc return for Star Class both ways... In my eyes a bargain!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Hi BizziBe, I'm actually going for a friends 40th so didn't really have much choice on dates! As spg I have just booked the royal hawaiian...
...$1600 AUD each inc return for Star Class both ways... In my eyes a bargain!
AN_Boy, thanks for this info.
40th in Hawaii... that's style! ^
RH should be interesting, but make sure you know what you want, as there have been many discussions over at SPG re. old v new rooms.
If QF no longer operates a HNL lounge, do you have other means to enter, before your return flight? I suppose the flight is so early, you'd not bother anyway.

So the drinks are on the birthday person where and when...?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:06 pm

I'm might take this up after all, especially since to buy 15,000 points costs AU$460.

Qantas Frequent Flyers travelling on a Jetstar StarClass fare will earn equivalent points per mile and Status credits as earned on Qantas business flights.
This means a 2869 mile flight from SYD-DPS will earn:

2869 points x 1.25 = 3586 points (Business Class cabin bonus)
+ 100 Status Credits

That, plus the 5000 point bonus, REALLY makes it worthwhile, maybe even for a mileage/status run. :P
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yes, it can be very fruitful (especially for a QF WP); this segment cost about AUD900 on a promotional fare:
Code:
 Date      Description             Base   Cabin  Status   Total    Status
                                   points bonus  bonus    points   credits

00 DEC 06  JQ 029 JETSTAR 00DEC06  4,573  1,144  4,573    10,290   120
           MELBOURNE/BANGKOK
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB
AN_Boy and AndDee, what accommodation options have you considered in the islands? May seems to be low(ish) season. Still, it's looking like several hundred per night at this stage.

Did either of you snare the intro-morning specials to HNL?
Hey, I am looking at staying at the Wakiki Wave hotel which is a newly renovated hotel, a block from the beach, a few hundred per night but a nice new room

And yes I got some of the early specials 2 people return for $1558
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by AN_Boy
What dates are you flying? I'm doing SYD-HNL on 19th and back on 26the May in *Class.
Leaving Mon 28th May, returning 4th June
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AndDee

Hey, I am looking at staying at the Wakiki Wave hotel which is a newly renovated hotel, a block from the beach, a few hundred per night but a nice new room
Very costly for a non chain hotel in HNL I can assure you.

Did you check Priceline.com name your own price?

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddinghawaii
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:02 am

Well $114 to $177 per night is pretty good in my books, one of the better hotels in Hawaii as well from what I have read

I couldn't justify a $200 more per night for the Outrigger when it's quite old and run down.

I dont mind paying $500 per night for a Park Hyatt or something nice but not for an older Outrigger
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:09 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by futaris
I'm might take this up after all, especially since to buy 15,000 points costs AU$460.

This means a 2869 mile flight from SYD-DPS will earn:

2869 points x 1.25 = 3586 points

That, plus the 5000 point bonus, REALLY makes it worthwhile, maybe even for a mileage/status run. :P
Well I am from Melb....and have just uograded family of 5 to starclass for an extra $1000 (one way to Bali). Originally I only paid $2100 for the 5 tickets return as part of the launch

So for the extra $1000 I get.
5 by 3586 points plus I think the MelbSyd leg 1000 points plus the 5000

= 5 by 9586 points = 47030 points.

Now paid with Qantas Amex...so another 1000 by 2.25 = 2250.

So all up for $1000 have gained 49280 points plus 5 people in starclass with its extra benefits and room.

So points are worth at least 1 cent to me.....so that is worth at least $500.....so effectively the upgrade has only cost at most $100 each....and arguably as low as $50 or less each...So that is pretty good value I think.

The upgrade was not available on the return....but as we take off at 2355 and would not therefore use the free video drinks and food anyway... and would not gain the 5000 bonus anyway the return upgrade would have been a lot more cost for less value.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Well have just upgraded.

I had originally booked 5 people in the opening sale Melb to Bali for only $2100 flying at school Holidays...which would normally only be available at peak rates....so I was pretty happy.

I just scraped in to get the 5000 starclass bonus as I depart late March.

Return flight had no upgrades available....but as we depart at 2355 we would not benefit from the free videos and food anyway...and being in April there is no extra 5000 points.

So for an extra $1000::

5 by (2869 points x 1.25 = 3586 points ) + 5000 bonus + 1000 for Melb Syd = 5 by 9586 = 47930 points.

Now paid by Qantas Amex so another 1250 points.

So all up 49180 points.

Which at 1 cent a point is worth say $500.....and arguably is woth say $750 as I mainly redeem points on long haul economy (I normally redeem for a family of 5.....so business grade upgrades are not likely.....)

So for say $50 each have upgraded to Starclass.....so I think that is a pretty good deal

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jan 11, 2007 at 4:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.