Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas vs. Jetstar codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Qantas vs. Jetstar codeshares

I am sure this has been discussed to death, but the new search has me all over "blinking 12:00" when it comes to finding things.

Anyway, I am working some final travel arrangements to get my family from HNL to BNE and the very nice lady in reservations told me I could leave a day earlier to "get off the codeshare with Jetstar and onto QANTAS."

I asked about the difference and she said there was none, but some people prefered to have the Qantas name on the plane.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Looking at your profile you seem to credit to both AA and BA. It should be noted that you can only credit QF metal flights to both AA and BA (unless of course it's a QF codeshare on OW metal). JQ (Jetstar) flights both metal and codeshare cannot be credited to anything but QF.

Be aware that JQ (A332) operate Tues, Thurs & Fri the sectors in both directions and QF (B763) operate Wed, Fri & Sun services.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Expanding on Traveloguy's point, JQ is not part of OW and therefore normal OW benefits are not guaranteed (they may well be offered but JQ is under no obligation to do so).
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Ah, well, wasn't really too concerned about that aspect, though I probably should be. I rack up 200K miles/year on AA, so one or two flights that don't count don't bother me much.

I was more concerned about the amenities on the flight - wife who don't travel plus three kids over 10.5 hours.....
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
I was more concerned about the amenities on the flight - wife who don't travel plus three kids over 10.5 hours.....
I think even AA provides more amenities than DeathStar (ie JQ). At least they (JQ) have not found a way for separately charging for the cabin air supply - but it might happen.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
I think even AA provides more amenities than DeathStar (ie JQ). At least they (JQ) have not found a way for separately charging for the cabin air supply - but it might happen.
Actually if you travel with a QF flight number codeshared on a Jetstar International flight then food, drink and ameneties are complimentary.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 11, 2006 at 4:27 pm Reason: tautology
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:53 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
and I must say... QF is much better based on my experience on
QF and JQ within Oz
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Although we won't know for sure until the JQ INT flights actually start, I'd hazard to say that if you're flying in Y that the JQ flight from HNL-SYD on the A330-200 will be about on par with flying on QF on the 767-300. It appears that JQ will maintain the same seatpitch that's currently in place on the A330's that are flying domestically for QF, just changing the seat coverings over from cloth to leather (which may be a little less comfortable). Both have mainscreen entertainment only (though JQ offers handheld players as well at extra cost).
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

The reservation lady told me that both Qantas and Jetstar have seatback video on that route but that "jetstar has a few fewer channels."
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:48 pm

The reservation lady told me that both Qantas and Jetstar have seatback video on that route but that "jetstar has a few fewer channels."
The reservation lady was unfortunately mistaken in that case. QF has had the 747-300's flying to HNL, and these *do* have the seatback video. But the 767-300's definitely only have in seat video in Business Class, the rest of the cabin has to deal with mainscreen viewing. As far as I'm aware there's absolutely no plans for JQ to install in-seat videos either, going with the handheld devices for AU$10 rental to go along with the mainscreen offerings. Even Star Class will just have the handheld devices given out, no in-seat video will be installed.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Actually if you travel with a QF flight number codeshared on a Jetstar International flight then food, drink and ameneties are complimentary.
Here it is: Will customers on Jetstar operated Frequent Flyer redemption flights need to purchase meals?
Frequent Flyer redemption bookings are made on a Qantas codeshare fight number. All Qantas codeshare passengers in economy class will be offered complimentary "feed me" pack (meals and a beverage), blanket and headset for audio and in cabin movie.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not unusual for this sort of misinformation to eminate from reservation agents. The truth is that in both Starclass and Economy, 'Mainscreen' entertainment will be available on drop down screens.

More here: What is Jetstar's economy class product?
  • Audio and inflight entertainment displayed on drop down screens with reusable headsets (a small charge will apply for the headsets).
Without hiring a Personal Video viewier, Jetstar has 1 channel. IMO, the best advice given was referred to in your oringinal post here; this was to 'leave a day earlier to "get off the codeshare with Jetstar and onto QANTAS."'.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Huh, so, reservation agent is wrong - color (colour?) me surprised.

The $10AUD rental - is it something that will keep the kids happy for 7+ hours? Because that is d*mn cheap at the price!

It does sound like there will be real food/drink even on the JetStar flight codeshare thingie since I'm booking it as Qantas.

FYI, I check booking the same flight through JetStar and it was $75/person cheaper so given FF points, food, and drink it's actually cheaper to get the Qantas flight. Huh.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:09 pm

The $10AUD rental - is it something that will keep the kids happy for 7+ hours? Because that is d*mn cheap at the price!
You can find all the details about the hand held player at http://www.jetstar.com/index.php?opt...=35&Itemid=113 - as you can see, there's a selection of movies, TV shows and music available. Probably enough there to keep the kids entertained for a good chunk of the flight (and agreed, not too bad value wise either when taking a flight the length of HNL-SYD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.