Probably more significant than adding it to the general news clippings thread:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...661830666.html
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The Qantas Sale Act has been repealed?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Slow news day or alternatively someone's hoping to sell their QF shares at a higher price.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Slow news day or alternatively someone's hoping to sell their QF shares at a higher price.
And what a good time to sell. the highest they have been in 4 years..
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
From what I am hearing there maybe some validity to the rumours. Whether the private equity funds like what they see and decide to proceed is another thing.

Regarding the 49% and 25% rules, there are ways around these limitations (refer to the sell down of 50% of PBL).
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bravoecho
Regarding the 49% and 25% rules, there are ways around these limitations (refer to the sell down of 50% of PBL).
Changes to media laws were very well publicised by the government. Aside from Geoff Dixon jumping up and down about sending jobs overseas if the cap isn't lifted when it suits him. I have not heard to Government mention that they are considering reviewing the laws.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bensyd
Changes to media laws were very well publicised by the government. Aside from Geoff Dixon jumping up and down about sending jobs overseas if the cap isn't lifted when it suits him. I have not heard to Government mention that they are considering reviewing the laws.
bensyd,

what I was referring to was the structure of the PBL sell down by way of issuing a convertible note.

This can still be achieved with anyone interested in Qantas, but they would have to be pretty certain that ownership laws will change in the future otherwise they will not be able to exercise it.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
bensyd,

what I was referring to was the structure of the PBL sell down by way of issuing a convertible note.

This can still be achieved with anyone interested in Qantas, but they would have to be pretty certain that ownership laws will change in the future otherwise they will not be able to exercise it.
After the recent debarcles with Telstra, I cannot see the Federal government repealing the Qantas Sale Act.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bensyd,

Yes, precisley my point. That without a change in law no foreign person could own more than 49% of QF, and then there is the legal question as to whether QF would be allowed to even issue a convertible note which upon conversion would be in breach of the law.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
More media on this issue:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...871445127.html
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Official Announcement for QAN

Here is the ASX announcement released by QF.
ASX Announcements - QAN
I do not know if this will be successful as there is a specific law regarding QF ownership.
Also if this goes through I do not think QF will be as good as it is now as private equity will cut costs and impose many charges....
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope MBL do not get QF. MBL will own the largest airport and airline, and judging by the way they run SYD we will all be paying for their greed.

Where is Alan Jones when you need him.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I hope MBL do not get QF. MBL will own the largest airport and airline, and judging by the way they run SYD we will all be paying for their greed.

I hope he's not on his private jet
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...871459493.html

Oh dear - the Minister is confidently predicting that the red rat will not leave the tail of Qantas aircraft.

Is he not aware of JetStar?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold

And if they have their way they will have only their taxis at SYD. I actually saw my first Lime Taxi at the airport last week at T3 arrivals, would be no good for me if that came into my bay as I am sure they don't take CabCharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.