Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Making Changes - Travel Agent vs Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG AC *G

Here's the situation:

My employer buys me a J class return fare on QF (US - Australia). I'd like to reconfigure the ticket, i.e. pay extra and turn it into a DONE3 (and take some holidays ), is it possible for me to deal directly with the airline to do this once the ticket is booked and paid for ? I'd prefer to avoid dealing with the T/A if possible.

I think I tried to do something like this 4-5 years ago and QF referred me back to the T/A. I know that at some point, QF has control of the ticket and will make changes directly, i.e. once the trip has started they will allow you to make date or routing changes directly with them, rather than through the T/A.

Any thoughts or advice ?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Until travel commences, all changes must be made by the agent.

After departure, you will not be able to convert the ticket to an ATW ticket I believe

Also, Australia cannot be included on a DONE3; you will need a DONE4

Can you not just ask the agent to book a DONE4 up front ( book on AA to reduce the fuel fines though ). I would have thought that your company would have no problems with you purchasing a cheaper ticket for the journey

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 8, 2006 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:30 am

Yep, Qantas will refer you back to your agent. In addition, the value of some fares cannot be carried across to other airfares - so you would need to cancel and rebook. Quite messy really.

Qantas will in some cases deal with your ticket while it is under control of the agent (I have had it happen), but those changes will definately not include refunding or changing the ticket type.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:57 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Yep, Qantas will refer you back to your agent. In addition, the value of some fares cannot be carried across to other airfares - so you would need to cancel and rebook. Quite messy really.

Qantas will in some cases deal with your ticket while it is under control of the agent (I have had it happen), but those changes will definately not include refunding or changing the ticket type.
Did they do it as a favor to save you time?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Wongo
Did they do it as a favor to save you time?
Had to change the first flight and travel agent was not open that day. Qantas even let me book an illegal connection as well to get me where I had to go quicker. With all that I still managed to miss my connection
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If the original ticket is a true J fare (no corporate discount on the fare and unrestricted form of payment) then you can get an MCO for the original ticket without ever flying any of it and use the MCO to pay part of a DONE4 that you purchase. But chances are that it isn't an eligible ticket for the MCO route, most corporations prohibit this as policy (and many fares are negotiated and sometimes not the amount that is shown on the ticket, though I'm sure QF doesn't play that slightly illegal game).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.