Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin challenges Qantas on US route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6

Obviously all twins need ETOPS rating of 180 or 207 for trans-pacific use, but hasn't UA operated 777s on SFO-SYD already (or is it only ex-LAX?). I haven't checked the charts but would think the ETOPS routing out of SFO and LAX is pretty much identical.
IIRC UA 777's do not have the certified range for OZ.

UA did run 777 to AKL IIRC til they stopped the service a couple years back.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6

As for 744s stacked up in the AZ desert, is this really true?

There is a hot market for 744s that are still flyable right now (both for freighter conversion and for pax use), with several airlines having stated that they simply cannot find any used ones "in good condition and at a good price".
You bet. Victorville (VCV) is the place to go looking.

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...tored-b747.htm

As I posted 4 x UA livery 747/400 (long sold by lease holders) have been getting a desert suntan there for years now.

airliners.net has photos of all the 747s gathering dust there if anyone is interested.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
fwiw, Boeing has recently booked 16 unidentified 787 orders. Maybe related, maybe not. Seems some airlines are wanting order positions without tipping their hand.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:31 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozstamps
You bet. Victorville (VCV) is the place to go looking.

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...tored-b747.htm

As I posted 4 x UA livery 747/400 (long sold by lease holders) have been getting a desert suntan there for years now.

airliners.net has photos of all the 747s gathering dust there if anyone is interested.
The problem with any stored 744s is that they are due for D checks before they can be used again, which is an expensive and time consuming exercise. Still cheaper and faster than a new purchase of course.

I expect part of the reason DJ is not currently operating the route is the logistics of sourcing the correct aircraft type and crews etc.

Of course one option is for Virgin Blue to operate VS aircraft under a wet lease agreement using the Pacific Blue brand. As has been noted previously, Virgin Blue is unable to use the "Virgin" name for operations outside Australia and hence the use of Pacific Blue for their regional international flights. But I expect the Pacific Blue name could be used by Virgin Blue to operate current VS aircraft such as the A340-600 they fly LHR-HKG-SYD, in VS colours using a DJ flight number with VS codeshares.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NM
But I expect the Pacific Blue name could be used by Virgin Blue to operate current VS aircraft such as the A340-600 they fly LHR-HKG-SYD, in VS colours using a DJ flight number with VS codeshares.
Are you stating that DJ operates the 346 flight from LHR to SYD (via HKG)?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by NM
But I expect the Pacific Blue name could be used by Virgin Blue to operate current VS aircraft such as the A340-600 they fly LHR-HKG-SYD, in VS colours using a DJ flight number with VS codeshares.
I think there could also be barriers here as DJ would then need to get LHR slots....or can VS use their discretion as to whom they transfer their slots to?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:15 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Are you stating that DJ operates the 346 flight from LHR to SYD (via HKG)?
No, no. VS (Virgin Altantic) operates the LHR->HKG->SYD flights with no codesharing with DJ or other airlines.

I think what NM was suggesting that Pacific Blue (or whatever the new entity is called) can use VS's aircraft and operate OZ-US with its own designator (or DJ) with VS 'sharing' the flight.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by RickyT
No, no. VS (Virgin Altantic) operates the LHR->HKG->SYD flights with no codesharing with DJ or other airlines.

I think what NM was suggesting that Pacific Blue (or whatever the new entity is called) can use VS's aircraft and operate OZ-US with its own designator (or DJ) with VS 'sharing' the flight.
I doubt that VS would be allowed to place their code on the flight. Codeshares are normally subject to the same traffic restrictions as normal flights, and since VS do not have traffic rights AU-US, they do not have the ability to codeshare on these flights.

Now a "wet lease" is another matter entirely, there is nothing to stop VS from wet leasing (or even damp leasing) an aircraft to DJ to enable DJ to commence services.

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thadocta
I doubt that VS would be allowed to place their code on the flight. Codeshares are normally subject to the same traffic restrictions as normal flights, and since VS do not have traffic rights AU-US, they do not have the ability to codeshare on these flights.
Are you sure about that? Remember both AA and BA codeshare on intra-Oz flights yet neither have applied for nor been granted intra-Australian traffic rights. UA also codeshares on DJ flights, howver I do remember when they were granted temporary intra-Australian traffic rights during the AN crisis.

Last edited by Traveloguy; Sep 25, 2006 at 1:28 pm
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Are you sure about that? Remember both AA and BA codeshare on intra-Oz flights yet neither have applied for nor been granted intra-Australian traffic rights. UA also codeshares on DJ flights, howver I do remember when they were granted temporary intra-Australian traffic rights during the AN crisis.
The AA and BA codes can not be purchased on their own, only as part of an itinerary involving an AA or BA code out of Australia.

Quite a while back (when QF and NZ were codesharing last time around) QF operated SYD-LAX-SFO, and the NZ (might have still been TE then) code was placed on the SYD-LAX flight, but could not be placed on the LAX-SFO sector as NZ did not (at that stage) have traffic rights to SFO.

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thadocta
Now a "wet lease" is another matter entirely, there is nothing to stop VS from wet leasing (or even damp leasing) an aircraft to DJ to enable DJ to commence services.
So no restriction in Oz like the one in the US to the effect that a US airline may only offer services on N- registered aircraft? Are there any other regulatory hoops, like the UK ones that require the airline to show that there is no other viable EU source of the capacity?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:05 pm

IF new service is announced in a couple of months, what's your guess on how quickly flights would begin?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:05 pm

IF new service is announced in a couple of months, what's your guess on when bookings and actual service would begin?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I'm guessing Virgin Blue will create a new entity purely for American and Asian operations. I've heard the name "Planet Blue" has been thrown around, although not entirely sure this would be used. Nevertheless, the name is very catchy.

I doubt they'd use the Pacific Blue brand, as it would likely cause confusion, especially having a full service operation to the United States/Asia and a LCC (well NWC) operation trans-Tasman and into the Pacific Islands. I can see a new entity being created here as I'm sure they'd like to differentiate their product.

The leasing solution sounds plausible and would allow for Virgin Blue to commence operations sooner. A damp lease would be good, as the lessee in this case, Virgin Blue, would use their own Cabin Crew and would lease aircraft (A346/744) from the lessor, Virgin Atlantic (although, I'm not 100% sure on how operations like this function and their restrictions, so don't flame or bite me).

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a mid-2007 commencement of services, although this could likely be delayed by a number of reasons.

IIRC, Virgin Blue's (Pilots) EBA results should be out soon (may already be out), so I'd imagine that may give some clues as to the nature/technical aspect of this new operation.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Be nice to have a large Embraer order and US operations announced at the same time!

Cheers
(grr to database errors )
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:24 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by RickyT

Indeed. VS to operate LHR-HKG-SYD as they do now, and DJ to operate SYD-SFO, and Virgin America or VS to operate SFO-LHR. Virgin America has setup their USA office in SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.