Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC Run help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sn00p
I'm sure you can, but AA are kind of making a mockery of the whole thing....

...my J class flight from LHR-SYD nets me 480 SC at a cost of ~£2800 (not even retaining gold). Two of those trips (i mentioned above) net me 1500 SC at a cost of ~£1500. Over £1000 cheaper and I'd be a WP.

If you were to include my return flights from LHR to BOS (in Y), it'd add an additional £380 to the return - and also adding a further 50 SC into the pot.
At the end of the day, most of these discussions really probably should be moved into the MR forum. There are lots of creative things you can do, but in order to do most of them, they require time, and often lots of it. Whilst I realise this is not a MR in the American sense, most of the QF and BA flyers can take advantage of them, and who said the MR forum had to be so American centric?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
At the end of the day, most of these discussions really probably should be moved into the MR forum. There are lots of creative things you can do, but in order to do most of them, they require time, and often lots of it. Whilst I realise this is not a MR in the American sense, most of the QF and BA flyers can take advantage of them, and who said the MR forum had to be so American centric?
The only problem with putting this in the MR forum would be that not many QF Forum readers also read the MR forum, because as you say it is so American centric.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:02 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 95; PalmSource; Blazer 3.0) 16;160x160)

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Originally Posted by sn00p
I'm sure you can, but AA are kind of making a mockery of the whole thing....

...my J class flight from LHR-SYD nets me 480 SC at a cost of ~£2800 (not even retaining gold). Two of those trips (i mentioned above) net me 1500 SC at a cost of ~£1500. Over £1000 cheaper and I'd be a WP.

If you were to include my return flights from LHR to BOS (in Y), it'd add an additional £380 to the return - and also adding a further 50 SC into the pot.
(mod hat)
I understand this has some MR similarities. However we've had a discussion on miles v SCs previously, and the *general* consensus was that there was sufficient differentiation (and the fact that few QF posters visit MR) to warrant SC discussions remaining here...
(/mod hat)
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:21 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
If you want to do the BKK thing also consider a few cheapie sidetrips to SIN on CX or AY - ~120 SC's for ~$AUD400. Oh I think AY also tags to HKG also if you want to see that part of the world.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Update

Hi all

A short note about an important update - looks like AA is pricing certain YUPs (now sometimes KUPs) on a return basis only.

The fare I just looked at was the same either one-way or return. The difficulty with this is that it now makes it difficult to book 4 segment one-way YUPs as the fares are expensive.

Regards

LME FF
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:41 am

Talking

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
If you want to do the BKK thing also consider a few cheapie sidetrips to SIN on CX or AY - ~120 SC's for ~$AUD400. Oh I think AY also tags to HKG also if you want to see that part of the world.
Can you expand on this one please? Which flights etc. ex-BKK? Thanks

I'm also looking at doing a SC run towards the end of the year and it seems like the BNE-BKK route is the best option (for Oz departures anyway). At $2,200 and 360 SC's that comes to $6.11/SC, better than doing a dozen BNE-ADL's!!!

Does anyone have more cost efficient routes ex-BNE, MEL or SYD???

P.S. I'm wanting 550 SC's.

Herbie
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sounds like you can wait until Jetstar flies some of these routes. IIRC star class deals are quite good with relatively cheap domestic add-ons possible. Ie BNE-MEL-BKK or ADL-SYD-HKT.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
QFBoy, what I mean is that certain carriers have rights between asian ports such as BKK-SIN and BKK-HKG and you can often find fairly cheap business class deals for these trips all around 1000miles. CX does a few tags BKK-SIN, and AY does BKK-HKG (or did last time I looked). These can be bought from the airlines websites (select thailand...) at the Thai rate (NOTE, do not book from the other end, eg: SIN-BKK or HKG-BKK) - these will be more expensive. I found that you could get around $A400 for BKK-SIN and similar BKK-HKG (noting that flights don't fly every day of the week and thinks like that).

It never quite worked out for me time wise to take advantage of this deal, but if one wanted a quick 120-200 SC's at a reasonable price not too far from home, it might be an option.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:19 am

I found a fare on AY from BKK-SIN return in J for $472 AUD. That's $3.90/SC. So, in order to reach Gold I'm thinking of BNE-MEL-BKK on JQ for $2,200 (360SC) plus two trips to SIN. This will net me 600 SC's for approx. $3,150 which I think is pretty good.

Herbie
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QFBoy
I found a fare on AY from BKK-SIN return in J for $472 AUD. That's $3.90/SC. So, in order to reach Gold I'm thinking of BNE-MEL-BKK on JQ for $2,200 (360SC) plus two trips to SIN. This will net me 600 SC's for approx. $3,150 which I think is pretty good.

Herbie
But if your 600 SC's short do you really fly enough to warrant needing gold? I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a QP membership?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
But if your 600 SC's short do you really fly enough to warrant needing gold? I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a QP membership?
Just buying QP membership gives no points, no challenge, no travel experience.

I don't doubt why lots of people take the SCRUNning alternative to paying $ for lounge membership.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Well, I already have QP membership and I'll actually only be just less than 500 SC's off Gold. Also, I will be travelling much more with my job in the next 12-18 months so I would only need to do a couple of small trips or one big one to maintain Gold from here on. PLUS, I've been wanting to get to Gold for too long so it's about bl**dy time!!!!

Herbie
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

I don't doubt why lots of people take the SCRUNning alternative to paying $ for lounge membership.
Are QF points that valuable though? I mean after that whole ordeal you'll have enough points to take you to MEL and back. But who am I to judge I would probably be the first one to do it myself
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If you want it do it

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

I think if you fly around a lot then SC runs do not make sense. However if you only have 100 SC at the moment and enjoy flying why not? You will be flying two different airlines and in their version of J. You will also be in two different cultures, 4 if you count corporate culture. I think you should do it as I still love to fly and the entire airport experience, although that wears thin after travelling in the US and then having very ordinary service on a long haul. However that does not last too long and I then yearn to be able to go to the airpoprt, lounge then get on one of those tubes....
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:32 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
If already needing to travel, I will consider routing a trip to earn some extra benefits. But I would not pay for an extra trip just for the extra points or status. But that's my personal view and obviously different to lots of other peolpe .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.