Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF schedule change; broken connection. involuntary upgrade?

Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm scheduled for LAX-AKL-BNE this week. Last Friday, QF added a previously-unscheduled stop in HNL to QF26 (LAX-AKL) and only on the one day that I'm going to travel. Now the flight arrives later in AKL.

This breaks my connection from AKL-BNE, so they will have to reroute me. They told me to talk to my TA who will be in the office tomorrow.

There's no other schedule that would get me to BNE at the same time or earlier, except a nonstop LAX-BNE. It has no seats available.... except in J.

What are the chances I could help QF out by gracefully accepting an involuntary operational upgrade to J on the nonstop?

Last edited by alaskamatt; Jun 4, 2006 at 9:19 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The chances are , I would say, zero plus or minus zero

The likely situation is that they will book you on another routing from AKL-BNE such as QF164 to SYD and then QF524 to BNE. If there was economy available on the non stop they might well have allowed you to reroute onto that

Dave
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The likely situation is that they will book you on another routing from AKL-BNE such as QF164 to SYD and then QF524 to BNE. If there was economy available on the non stop they might well have allowed you to reroute onto that
Or they will put them on the non-stop and op-up a WP instead.

Dave
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

D'oh. We'll see.

It seems like they'd probably try to route me LAX-SYD-BNE instead, although none of those routings will get me there on or before my original arrival time. LAX-SYD also seems somewhat full.

If they let me standby for a Y seat on QF26, is there any chance for J?

Dave
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
In the current environment, there is almost zilt chances of an upgrade. In fact the op should be thankful that qantas will accomodate him/her on alternative chances and maybe get there on the same day. Im sure some of those passengers on the unfortunate QF107 which crash into the airfield fences had to take AA or had to be delayed extensively from their arrival into sydney. so the op's request may appear unreasonable.

In asia, it would be a case that the op should be thankful even for the privilege of flying. If the op really wants to sit business class as a complimentray upgrade, he/she should take United instead as they have a relatively more generous upgrade policy than qantas.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trekkie
In the current environment, there is almost zilt chances of an upgrade.
That's what it looks like...
I won't know for sure until I ask.

Originally Posted by trekkie
In fact the op should be thankful that qantas will accomodate him/her on alternative chances and maybe get there on the same day.
I wouldn't agree with that. The rescheduled arrival time in Auckland is after the departure time for my connection - they have to accomodate me on something!

Qantas's conditions of carriage say that they have to either reaccomodate me on flights I'm happy with or refund my ticket if they change the schedule after the purchase. ("9. Schedules, Late or Cancelled Flights")
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by alaskamatt
Qantas's conditions of carriage say that they have to either reaccomodate me on flights I'm happy with or refund my ticket if they change the schedule after the purchase. ("9. Schedules, Late or Cancelled Flights")
The chance of them upgrading you is zilch; they will offer you an alternative and if you refuse the alternative you can get a refund which is fine as long as you don't want to travel

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Question Same-day standby?

Slightly OT... Does Qantas have a same-day standby policy? What if due to a schedule change?

Then, what about thru checked bags? Send them to the standby flight, confirmed flight, or re-check them myself?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Slightly OT... Does Qantas have a same-day standby policy? What if due to a schedule change?

Then, what about thru checked bags? Send them to the standby flight, confirmed flight, or re-check them myself?...
Sounds rather on-topic to me. QF does allow standby, and will transfer your bags to the flight if there is enough time. You fly on the same flight as your bags. You don't have to recheck them. Schedule change might move you higher priority on the standby list (not sure, I can't tell as usually I'm first on the list).
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:57 pm

If your ticket allows changes then you can move to another flight. With the schedule change, speak to your agent and see what they can arrange for getting you rebooked to BNE

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

If your ticket allows changes then you can move to another flight. With the schedule change, speak to your agent and see what they can arrange for getting you rebooked to BNE
I'm now rebooked LAX-SYD-BNE, although I still arrive later than my original scheduled arrival.

I'm hoping now to standby for the earlier nonstop instead. I can't confirm space on it because coach is full. I'm keeping an eye out for any Y seats; too bad ExpertFlyer doesn't do alerts for non-award classes!

Matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.