Search

Jetstar of the Future

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver, QF Club, Hilton HHonors, SAS EuroBonus
Jetstar of the Future

Hi folks,

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on the future of Jetstar and what Qantas has planed for Jetstar and it’s self.

I personally love Qantas and rarely fly with anyone but! I would hate for them to slowly merge into Jetstar with only a few Qantas flights left on the heavy profit routes, I have flown Jetstar and cant say that I was overly impressed or unimpressed just a standard LCC

We all know that starting Jetstar was a very smart move by Qantas and has achieved the profits and stoped Virgin's expansion. But cant we just leave it at that!!!

I read a story a few weeks ago with some ideas about Jetstars future I will include a passage below:

Peter Harbison says the restructure has just begun and the future will see Qantas having three main operating areas, two of which will be overseas. The current split between Jetstar and Qantas domestic will gradually wither away, returning Australia to "the comfortable duopoly" of the past, he says.

Qantas, he says, is "making good profits in the domestic market by continuing to plunder it very effectively" through a judicious mix of traditional operations and Jetstar.

But the growth of Jetstar has left Virgin Blue with nowhere to go but into Qantas' mainstream territory, offering business class and attracting block corporate bookings. "Business class is not that important in Australia. It's the corporate market that is more important and eventually they'll have to fight Virgin Blue to retain corporate contracts."

Harbison says the rationale for three airlines will disappear and Qantas and Virgin Blue will offer similar services with probably a small Qantas cheap-flights operation serving holiday destinations.

Australia and most of Qantas' international routes will have low growth in the future. As a result Qantas will put muscle behind two overseas strategies. One is Jetstar International, which will fly between Australia and regional holiday destinations. The other is the Jetstar Asia model, which flies out of Singapore and is partly owned by Asian interests. "There'll be a Jetstar Indonesia, Jetstar China, Thailand, even Jetstar Japan," Harbison says.
Any opinions ???
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Let’s hope ....Star does not take over QF! After flying JS to Hobart last week I could not believe I had to sit looking at Dominos Pizza adds on the back of the seat and on the over head lockers. If you look at the amount of money JS Asia is losing I don’t think they will take over the Asian air space. Destinations like Hamilton Island QF stopped all service but had to restart as the wealthy traveler were chartering plans rather than flying on JS. As my mate says what is with no seat allocations “even on greyhound you get a seat number!”
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
May 15th is the day to watch.. Routes and Pricing for JQ INT' is set to be announced.. but, like with most things, this is subject to change.

I can almost guarantee two of the intitial JQ INT' destinations will be Honolulu and Bali. I wouldn't be surprised if Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Seoul were also included in the initial JQ operation. They're going to start up with six A330s.

I think you'll find JQ will take over a few QF routes but at the same time will start up many new and interesting routes such as BNE-ICN, MEL-BKK etc.

It's just a waiting game..

Destinations like Hamilton Island QF stopped all service but had to restart as the wealthy traveler were chartering plans rather than flying on JS.
But have have had to cease BNE-HTI-BNE 737 flights yet again due to poor support/demand and poor yields - USE IT OR LOSE IT [Famous quote from Sunshine Express about their BNE-Armidale-Tamworth flights]. OzJet were keen on starting flights to Hamilton Is. as was Alliance Airlines with their Fokker 100s...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to see why Jetstar is happening read today’s Fin Review article with Dixon. As long the QF unions have there heads buried in the clouds, QF will diminish and Jetstar will get bigger.

In my opinion QF will become a small airline with some big aircraft : -A380s on the SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK/LAX routes and a few other large aircraft on a connector services BNE-SYD & MEL-SYD.

The 3 reasons for this are
QF unions
QF unions
QF unions

Crew of US legacy airlines are taking pay & conditions cuts. Unless QF unions do the same, they end on the street with there Anssett comrade’s. They have had generous & easy time for many years:- now is the time for realism
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Can anyone explain why there is no seating allocated?? It cant signifcantly increase costs can it by printing a seat number on a boarding pass?? maybe they can increase turnaround times because everyone rushes to get on the plane ???
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you want to see why Jetstar is happening read today’s Fin Review article with Dixon. As long the QF unions have there heads buried in the clouds, QF will diminish and Jetstar will get bigger.
Are you saying that once the unions are busted, QF will grow again and DeathStar (the one star airline) will shrink? I don't think so!
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:07 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Quickest way to Board a plane is as follows.

1. Setup a herd area - beyond ticket check, security etc. Passengers must clear 15 min before departure. Reserve front seats for wheelchair passengers etc.
2. In herd area have color coded or numbered seating - passengers back of the plane closest to the gate etc.
3. Board plane in sequence - no priority for families, status fliers etc.

-------

Even if QF pilots were paid the same as Virgin, QF would still run JetStar so they can provide a no-food, smaller seat, no expceptions lcc to undercut virgin
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by bensyd
Can anyone explain why there is no seating allocated?? It cant signifcantly increase costs can it by printing a seat number on a boarding pass?? maybe they can increase turnaround times because everyone rushes to get on the plane ???
You can load up a lot quicker because you don't have people slowly mincing down the aisles looking for their assigned seat, and then arguing with somebody who is sitting in the wrong seat and getting them to change, and so on and so forth.

As an aside, I wonder how they locate which SLF is missing when they are one or two short? Anyone flown with JQ who can advise as to the actual boarding procedure?

Dave
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
It also means that everyone turns up to the gate on time. People queue to get on the planes as they want to make sure they "get a good seat". A key business practice for LCCs is to reduce turnaround time. In Europe Easyjet and Ryanair have reduced this on some routes to 15 minutes (at gate, passengers off, passengers on, leave gate). Not going to happen is some idiot is spending an extra 30 minutes in duty free.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
ahh...that makes abit of sense then...i guess its only a matter of time until they have cattle dogs herding us on then
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I'm probably alone here, but I'm actually looking forward to jetstar international!

We'll finally have a Premium Economy to more routes from Australia! this can only be good as well as the ability to still earn SC's and points on those Premium Y tickets!

Bring it on. (As long as I dont have to fly in JQ regualr Y!)

Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bensyd
ahh...that makes abit of sense then...i guess its only a matter of time until they have cattle dogs herding us on then
Easy achieved. It's called a freight door on the main deck. Load SLF into a cage on a pallet, open the door, shove in the pallet, tie it down, close the door and you're off. By closing the door behind them, there's no need for seatbelts as the SLF are contained.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 4:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
And don't forget the perception value. People think they are getting a better deal if they are no offered extra frills. This is often used in the retail inductry where some supermarkets make the place look like a wharehouse to have the perception of lowering their operating costs and hence the customer gets a better deal.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by NM
And don't forget the perception value. People think they are getting a better deal if they are no offered extra frills. This is often used in the retail inductry where some supermarkets make the place look like a wharehouse to have the perception of lowering their operating costs and hence the customer gets a better deal.
Agreed. As the travel guru in the office, I often have to curl into the feotal position and rock myself to sleep after hearing just how low the "great deals" staff have got on Vermin and Deathstar.

Unfortunatly QF are becoming the David Jones of the Australian airline industry. People aren't even looking at their pricing because they assume they will be more expensive.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: QF Plat one; VA plat
I disagree that free seating means the plane gets away on time. I've still come across the flight that has a checked bag and missing pax (usually in the bar!) Lately on QF nearly all my flights have been closed and ready to roll 5 minutes early. I think that since they put in place a bag cut-off of 30 minutes people are actually getting there on time... no more of this 'I can arrive 20 minutes before the flight' attitude.

Surely, once they have 1 single type - A320 - it would not be too expensive to implement an allocation process. Or even the machines that let you do it yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.