QF or CX?

Old Dec 24, 05, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

QF or CX?

I have not had the opportunity to travel in the 'new' QF business class. What is it like? I have the choice between QF & CX ... which one should I take? I will be travelling LHR-HKG. I have used BA several time so know what BA is like ... but wanted to try something different! Any comments?
Old Dec 24, 05, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Humshee
I have not had the opportunity to travel in the 'new' QF business class. What is it like? I have the choice between QF & CX ... which one should I take? I will be travelling LHR-HKG. I have used BA several time so know what BA is like ... but wanted to try something different! Any comments?
If for nothing else - the Qantas Skybed is the best around. No kidding and no joke. Most posters here would agree with that (I even find it more comforatble than either the BA or QF First beds).

I have only sat in the CX biz class beds for two minutes while doing a tour of the cabin - but I found the seats much closer together than QF and on a steeper angle to the ground.

Having not 'flown' CX business I can't comment on the service - but the QF service recently form HKG-MEL was just fine (for dinner). The supper service on the way TO HKG was not good however.

With regards

L/M/E FF
Old Dec 24, 05, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If for nothing else - the Qantas Skybed is the best around. No kidding and no joke. Most posters here would agree with that (I even find it more comforatble than either the BA or QF First beds).
Personally, I prefer the fully flat *horizontal* BA bed with the facing seating to QFs skybed though I find the QF J service to beat the BA J service

to me, it is still a long way short of the BA/QF 1st beds

Dave
Old Dec 24, 05, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
L/M/E FF
I can't inderstand how you can possibly say this. Even the cabin crew comment that QF skybed isn't competitive.

Having just used it again twice this week ...it's not flat and so one slips down it rather than being able to sleep comfortably.
Old Dec 24, 05, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I think CX probably has the worst seat of the three, but the best service. I like the BA bed the best as you don't slide down it, unlike the QF bed. The BA one is completely flat, which is great for this side sleeper. The QF bed is still decent, but I'd take the BA bed any chance I can. That goes double for overnight sectors.

The average service on CX will be a notch above what QF & BA can offer from their best crews. They simply can't compete with CX here. With that said, I find sleep to be very important on LHR-HKG & vv sectors so I would probably shoot for BA. BA/QF have the best lounge in LHR, but CX has a fabulous lounge in HKG. Although if you have 1W elite status, you could use the CX lounge in HKG even if you fly BA/QF.
Old Dec 25, 05, 2:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gaia
I can't inderstand how you can possibly say this. Even the cabin crew comment that QF skybed isn't competitive.

Having just used it again twice this week ...it's not flat and so one slips down it rather than being able to sleep comfortably.
Actually, I believe that QF has the best J-class seat in the sky right now. As I said recently on another thread, if the Skybed doesn't go absolutely flat, then I'm unable to discern any difference between that and whatever angle it does assume. I wonder, however, whether you are actually extending it to its limit. At one stage I had the same impression as you but I found that for some reason I wasn't fully extending it, and either by pressing the button again or by pressing some other button (I can't picture the controls too clearly at this moment), I experienced somniferous bliss.

Your comment about not going flat enough I would actually apply to the CX seat. Although I consider CX to be the best airline in the world (mainly for their service, food quality, on-demand entertainment, and general demeanor), their seat does not compete with the Skybed (in my opinion). I'm really surprised that QF cabin crew have made the comment that you attribute to them.
Old Dec 25, 05, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antiqantas
Actually, I believe that QF has the best J-class seat in the sky right now. As I said recently on another thread, if the Skybed doesn't go absolutely flat, then I'm unable to discern any difference between that and whatever angle it does assume. I wonder, however, whether you are actually extending it to its limit. At one stage I had the same impression as you but I found that for some reason I wasn't fully extending it, and either by pressing the button again or by pressing some other button (I can't picture the controls too clearly at this moment), I experienced somniferous bliss.

Your comment about not going flat enough I would actually apply to the CX seat. Although I consider CX to be the best airline in the world (mainly for their service, food quality, on-demand entertainment, and general demeanor), their seat does not compete with the Skybed (in my opinion). I'm really surprised that QF cabin crew have made the comment that you attribute to them.
I agree with your comments completely. In fact I think Skybed is better than QF First. Also for anyone over 6ft, whilst the BA cabin configs are great, the bed is just too short. Also QF service beats BA hands down although as posters above comment, CX usually will win any day. Having said that, I have done enough flights in CX J to say that when they have a bad day, it is very bad!
Old Dec 25, 05, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
I think from my limited traveling on J but in my opinion:
QF J is better when the cabin is full for some reason.... I had a bad day with QF once on a 50% full J on a day flight from SYD-HKD. Maybe it was an lets say... unusal event which I don't know how to explain....
CX J just don't want to get on any full J with them. I think their service is not the best when J is full. Errr, never had any flight on CX which they had not many people in J.
Old Dec 25, 05, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The simple remedy, I found, is to make sure that the footplate is brought up towards your head. Yes, I know I'm then almost "standing" on it to avoid slipping down, but at the angle at which the surface is reclined, the pressure on my feet was minimal.

You don't get this with beds that are both flat and truly horizontal, like BA's. But there are other disadvantages. At the end of the day, there's nothing like trying them both out and seeing which one works better for you.

Personally, I would be hard-pressed to say which I preferred, of the two. I've never been in CX J, nor am I likely to get the chance to try it in the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 25, 05, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I can't inderstand how you can possibly say this.
Re the QF skybed being better than the BA/QF First - I guess maybe because I'm tall (6'3) I find the skybed much better. The thing I dislike about QF/BA first are the tiny little rounded plastic bits by your feet that as a tall person squish my legs into an uncomfortable position when trying to sleep. Now I partly resolve this because I generally sleep 'the wrong way 'round' in the seats with my head down the other end - but this is mainly because when the QF/BA seat is fully flat, your head is below your feet (reverse of the 'downward angle' biz class problem).

I do like the LX and CX First seats - no rounded bits to squich my feet together. But then I also like the TG flat bed seats.

I avoided biz class for several years after trying the old VS 'beds' which must have been the most uncomfortable seats in the air. Trying QF the other day for the first time I was very very impressed by the Skybed and got 5 hours solid sleep - a record for me!

With regards

L/M/E FF
Old Dec 25, 05, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
I'm going to agree with most here... QF Skybed is quite nice. ^
Old Dec 25, 05, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the_nomad
I'm going to agree with most here... QF Skybed is quite nice. ^
I suggested to a FA recently that they could make the Skybed even better by embedding a dynamic representation of the night sky in the dome that sits atop your head when in the supine position.
Old Dec 26, 05, 11:39 am

Programs: Qantas
I am a bit mystified by this "slipping down" phenomenon. I had read about it before trying out the CX and QF seats, but after the event I can't figure out how that is possible. Does it take a particularly body shape or mass? In any event, I've tried Club World as well, and the QF seat gets my vote. It is more spacious (or seems to be), more comfortable and less fiddly than BA.
Old Dec 26, 05, 4:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
True about the excellent foot room in the QF Shybeds. They also beat the BA J beds for length (unless you can score one of the few that have access (read 64K) at the end. Forget CX - they are terrible - the service has to be extra good to make up for the crappy J beds. As for slipping down the Shybeds, yes it does happen, but not if your hip is in the right place (where there is a bit of a depression and it holds you in place). The velcro helps too...
Old Dec 27, 05, 3:05 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
It really depends on your size. Under 6 ft and 'normal' weight then BA wins hands down in being flat. (I am a shortarse and lost 6 KG's last year - mainly by not eating the food on board.)

The CX seat is just too much of a pain , even in the Z position you will still find yourself slipping down if you are as side sleeper. HOWEVER CX gives me an upgrade roughly 1 out of 3. AND their service is a notch above.

If you are over 6 ft, go for the Skybed.

Last edited by AshleyF; Dec 28, 05 at 3:18 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: