QF387/388 SIN-MEL possibly ending

Old Jan 14, 06, 3:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by QF 777-300ER
There is PLENTY of shops at HKIA to spend your money at
Not at 01:00 - they're all closed! That was my expereince on QF29 SYD-HKG-LHR a month ago. The flight was running an hour late - but still, there was a handfull of active flights at that time of night.
Old Jan 14, 06, 5:57 pm

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by QF 777-300ER
There is PLENTY of shops at HKIA to spend your money at
And not at 5 am either with only a handful of flights arriving at that hour (one AI flight, CX 138 from SYD and 1 CX flight from LAX plus QF 29) I would doubt that many shops would open.

Shops that close early is also evident at the Northwest concourse (gates 60-71) with shops being closed well before active flights depart.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are some pay lounge options at HKG, IIRC - I'm not sure off the top of my head which ones, exactly, but I'm pretty confident that they're there, if you don't want to go through the hassle and expense of getting a credit card just for the lounge access on one occasion.
It is the called the Plaza Premium Lounge and 'The Traveller's Lounge' located near gate 60 is open 24 hours a day while the 'Plaza Premium Lounge' located near gate 15 (East Hall) and near gate 40 (West Hall) is open from 6 am everyday. Their weblink is here

Last edited by RickyT; Jan 14, 06 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 14, 06, 6:14 pm

Programs: DJ Velocity, Skywards
Hi there

I have my Aunt and her husband booked on these flights LHR/MEL on 27/01 and return MEL/LHR 08/04, the return leg was switched to the new QF flight via HKG.

BA can't be doing too bad on the MEL run on 27/01 availability is showing:

F4 A3 J2 C0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 R0 V0 N0

They don't travel much, last time out here was in 2000 and are in their 60's.

With the expected full load on this flight are there any tips you could suggest to make the outbound leg "more comfortable" ?

Do BA upgrade and what is their policy?

I myself haven't flown BA since they had BOAC painted on the side

They currently have one of the pairs of seats down the back listed in their booking.

Cheers
vflyer
Old Jan 14, 06, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by vflyer
BA can't be doing too bad on the MEL run on 27/01 availability is showing:

F4 A3 J2 C0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 R0 V0 N0

That is the start of Chinese New Year and one of the busiest travel periods in many parts of Asia. Almost all flights to/from or through HKG/SIN are packed.
Old Jan 15, 06, 1:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by studio76
That is the start of Chinese New Year and one of the busiest travel periods in many parts of Asia. Almost all flights to/from or through HKG/SIN are packed.
It is also the end of the school holidays in Oz. All those families that have basked in Euro / UK winter wonderers are coming back home to thaw out.
Old Jan 15, 06, 10:35 pm

[QUOTE=Globaliser]I just ask people here what they think of the various airlines. VS is seen as an also-ran. Basically, the question is just why would you fly this crazy little almost-unknown airline called VS if you could go on CX or BA?QUOTE]

For an upper class award of course! But seriously, I have called VS HK number from their website 3 times and it has always made a clicking number and hung up on me:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...ongkongmap.jsp

Secretary just called information and turns out their website has the wrong phone number listed. Can't be good for business
Old Jan 16, 06, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vflyer
Do BA upgrade and what is their policy?
Yes, they do. The general policy is: Pay us the appropriate fare difference (money or miles, subject to availability) and we will upgrade you.
Old Jan 16, 06, 10:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Or score like my mum did a couple of years ago. She turned up to check in with BA for the QF flight LHR-BKK-MEL - she was an award Y ticket and the BA agent looked kindly on her and gave her an op up (on an award ticket?!!) and her partner, who was on a paid ticket, was also upgrades as a courtesy. They loved their flight to BKK!
Old Feb 2, 06, 12:04 am

A big THANK YOU to the OLCI tip! I just managed to fumble my way through (my QF FF# in the booking made the system decide I was a BAEC member which caused me a hiccup with OLCI) but when I got to the seat map I found 17 AB/JK all free as suggested they would be. 17K is now mine. If anyone else here is on BA18 tomorrow please don't select 17J (unless you're female and lovely ).

Thanks again for the tip! Pity I won't have an easy way to OLCI for the return to try for the same trick!
Old Feb 21, 06, 7:56 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
bookings on BA into MEL after the route has finished

I know this is really old, but I finally got around to fixing my booking with BA. The deal, not that they rang me to tell me, is that all flights are simply rebooked into SYD and if you ask, they will give you a domestic flight on QF into MEL.

I tried to move the booking around a couple of times and BA were starting to interpret it is rerouting which I thought was a bit much as the sector is finishing up.

Still, they were pretty sympathetic and made the changes I was after.

David

Originally Posted by davidMEL
This is really interesting for me. I have recently moved to London and haven't checked this site for a while (my fault I know).

Anyway, I flew here on a MEL-LHR ticket on BA and the return date was for June 06. I just checked my "Future Bookings" section on the QF site and it shows me now flying into SYD. I have made numerous changes to this ticket but I am fairly sure nothing was ever discussed about a return into SYD.

The ticket was a discounted J class ticket. Unfortunately, BA does not operate a 24 hour phone centre so i cannot call to confirm what has happened. as it turns, out I don't really mind flying into SYD instead, but BA should be telling people about this (perhaps they intend to closer to the date).

I would have thought they'd move me onto the QF service into MEL but perhaps the fact that QF is charging much higher prices for J seats between Australia and the UK than BA is, BA will save money by just moving us to SYD (with a possible QF flight onto MEL). I will call them tomorrow and see what is going on.

For general comment. I am saddened by there being no BA into MEL. However, it has also annoyed me that there is no F service with QF to HKG from MEL so this will be something. Having said that, is it right to say that the number of seats out of melbourne each week from BA/QF has declined as a result of this (i.e. the same number of jumbos but one less service to HKG.)? Also the later time out of MEL (for the MEL-HKG-LHR service) will suit many as the afternoon departures always really meant the day was lost although i never really minded arriving very early into Heathrow. Six of one and and half a dozen of the other i suppose.

I'd be interested to know of other experiences with pre-booked tickets on BA services that will become defunct. Maybe I should insist on a partial refund as the relative refund might be worth it. Doubt I'll succeed, but who knows.

Cheers, David
Old Feb 21, 06, 5:13 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Or score like my mum did a couple of years ago. She turned up to check in with BA for the QF flight LHR-BKK-MEL - she was an award Y ticket and the BA agent looked kindly on her and gave her an op up (on an award ticket?!!) and her partner, who was on a paid ticket, was also upgrades as a courtesy. They loved their flight to BKK!
The same thing happened to me in January when I was flying MEL-SIN in WT+ on an award ticket. I got the boarding pass from Qantas in Canberra and when I was boarding in MEL the reader wouldn't accept it and I was told to go over to the gate counter. My FT experience told me that this meant an upgrade and, sure enough, the CSA said "you've been reassigned from 18K to 13A". A little voice inside went "Yesssss!!", as I knew fully well that 13A was a Club World seat.

I got back from the Europe and US trip on Sunday night. Will post some more about it in the next few days, but in summary:

AA sucks big time.
BA is great.
The TSA people are not as officious as I expected and some even have a wicked sense of humour.
The Crowne Plaza Chicago Silversmith has the best staff of any hotel I have ever stayed in.
Doing 160 km/h on an autobahn will not kill you, despite what the Victorian Govt says.

(edited to add)
BTW, I passed my exam this time and I am now the proud holder of a Tiroler Schilehrer Verband Anwaerter certificate. Therefore I am qualified to say "bend ze knees" in two languages.
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:20 am

Just a comment that my boarding pass was rejected at the gate reader in MEL... as soon as it beeped and was rejected I thought "woohoo! upgrade!!!" ... alas... not to be... it was some stuff up because I had used OLCI. Damnit!!! Actually quite a few were rejected as I was waiting around the podium for them to decide that I wasn't worthy enough to upgrade to J *sniff*