Wingwalking Smoker

Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Club PS + bar, CX Riffraff, Krisflyer Balsa
Wingwalking Smoker

This may belong in Cathay's site but it was reported today in the BNE Curious Mail that a French lass, whilst travelling to BNE, thought it a good idea to take her fag and lighter and start fumbling with the cabin door to "go outside for a smoke".

Many desperate pax convinced her to resume her seat and she was subsequently convicted in BNE Court yesterday.

Thank heavens she wasn't flying on a Crash-8 because the propwash would have made it exceedingly difficult to light up and she may have been forced to smoke "a la flying fox' style.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that the issue is with the airline. Every time I travel they say that smoking is not permitted inside the aircraft; I have yet to hear an announcement saying that popping outside onto the wing for a smoke is not allowed

Dave
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:04 pm

Some of the comedians on DJ make that type of announcement. "If you smoke in the toilet, then we will find you a place on the wing to finish it off" (or equally bad attempt at humour!).
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Some of the comedians on DJ make that type of announcement. "If you smoke in the toilet, then we will find you a place on the wing to finish it off" (or equally bad attempt at humour!).
If they are saying that, then it must therefore be ok to go outside for a cigarette.

Dave
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
I'm gitane out of this plane, RIGHT NOW

Crazy incident, but at least we got this headline out of it !

This piece reports slightely different facts however -

I'm gitane out of this plane, RIGHT NOW

French woman tried to pop out for mid-flight ciggie

By Team Register

Published Monday 21st November 2005 13:41 GMT

A French woman nearly disappeared in a real cloud of smoke when she tried to open the door of an airliner so she could pop out for a mid-flight fag...

...Sellies began tampering with the door and was only prevented from enjoying her last cigarette by a sharp-eyed flight attendant perhaps she was concerned that Sellies had cracked open the duty free mid-flight.

Sellies subsequently pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court. She was hit with a AUS$1,000 good behaviour bond. If she makes another attempt to join the mile-high smoking club in the next year, shell forfeit the dosh.

Presumably the bench looked kindly on Sellies defense her brief said the hapless Madame had no memory whatsoever of the incident. Were pretty sure a couple of hundred other passengers are wishing they could erase the incident from their memories too.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they are saying that, then it must therefore be ok to go outside for a cigarette.

Dave
Will have to question a Flight attendant about that next time I'm flying.

Will other FT'ers contribute to my bail fund?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:09 am

Programs: QF WP (Platinum = OW Emerald); SPG pleb; Hyatt platinum
cf. this thread on the BA board. Pretty scary stuff.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Team Register
Sellies began tampering with the door and was only prevented from enjoying her last cigarette by a sharp-eyed flight attendant
No, she was "prevented from enjoying her last cigarette" by physics and the aircraft designers - opening a door in a pressurised aircraft is impossible (disregarding the unlikely scenario that she was in fact a superhero, which in the circumstances seems a reasonable assumption).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.