FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Wingwalking Smoker (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/495492-wingwalking-smoker.html)

Groundfeeder Nov 21, 2005 4:47 pm

Wingwalking Smoker

This may belong in Cathay's site but it was reported today in the BNE Curious Mail that a French lass, whilst travelling to BNE, thought it a good idea to take her fag and lighter and start fumbling with the cabin door to "go outside for a smoke".

Many desperate pax convinced her to resume her seat and she was subsequently convicted in BNE Court yesterday.

Thank heavens she wasn't flying on a Crash-8 because the propwash would have made it exceedingly difficult to light up and she may have been forced to smoke "a la flying fox' style.

Dave Noble Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm

I think that the issue is with the airline. Every time I travel they say that smoking is not permitted inside the aircraft; I have yet to hear an announcement saying that popping outside onto the wing for a smoke is not allowed :)

Dave

Aus_Mal Nov 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Some of the comedians on DJ make that type of announcement. "If you smoke in the toilet, then we will find you a place on the wing to finish it off" (or equally bad attempt at humour!).

Dave Noble Nov 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Some of the comedians on DJ make that type of announcement. "If you smoke in the toilet, then we will find you a place on the wing to finish it off" (or equally bad attempt at humour!).

If they are saying that, then it must therefore be ok to go outside for a cigarette.

Dave

Aisle Seat H Nov 21, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm gitane out of this plane, RIGHT NOW

Crazy incident, but at least we got this headline out of it ! :rolleyes:

This piece reports slightely different facts however -

I'm gitane out of this plane, RIGHT NOW

French woman tried to pop out for mid-flight ciggie

By Team Register

Published Monday 21st November 2005 13:41 GMT

A French woman nearly disappeared in a real cloud of smoke when she tried to open the door of an airliner so she could pop out for a mid-flight fag...

...Sellies began “tampering” with the door and was only prevented from enjoying her last cigarette by a sharp-eyed flight attendant – perhaps she was concerned that Sellies had cracked open the duty free mid-flight.

Sellies subsequently pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court. She was hit with a AUS$1,000 good behaviour bond. If she makes another attempt to join the mile-high smoking club in the next year, she’ll forfeit the dosh.

Presumably the bench looked kindly on Sellies’ defense – her brief said the hapless Madame had no memory whatsoever of the incident. We’re pretty sure a couple of hundred other passengers are wishing they could erase the incident from their memories too.®

Aus_Mal Nov 21, 2005 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they are saying that, then it must therefore be ok to go outside for a cigarette.

Dave

Will have to question a Flight attendant about that next time I'm flying.

Will other FT'ers contribute to my bail fund? :D :D

RichardUKAus Nov 22, 2005 4:09 am

cf. this thread on the BA board. Pretty scary stuff.

Alan in CBR Nov 22, 2005 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Team Register
Sellies began “tampering” with the door and was only prevented from enjoying her last cigarette by a sharp-eyed flight attendant

No, she was "prevented from enjoying her last cigarette" by physics and the aircraft designers - opening a door in a pressurised aircraft is impossible (disregarding the unlikely scenario that she was in fact a superhero, which in the circumstances seems a reasonable assumption).