Search

Upgrade Frankfurt - Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, star alliance
Smile Upgrade Frankfurt - Sydney

Hi there,

Just wanted to throw it out there for the best way to get an upgrade from economy?

Check in early?
Check in late?
Ask?
Pay?

Let me know.

Cheers.
BB
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Pay $$$$, or more likely €€€€.

Dave
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Of the 4 choices, the only one with certainty is the last one. Otherwise, use QF points and request an upgrade (ie join the lottery queue).

You might be better off putting your energy into securing the best possiible Y seat. This could include paying for an exit row seat.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bassbarry

Check in early?
Check in late?
Ask?
Pay?
PAY. With QF points or cash. Even with points, it's uncertain whether you'll succeed or not.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
FRA-SYD on QF had super specials especially when traveling with two people. So maybe buying up to this fare is a good idea?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...s-pricing.html

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
If the OP has status SG/WP then QF has been subbing in 4-class planes on QF5/6 and this has resulted in PE and also J (only WP offered) seats being offered to high status Y passengers and I have allocated and also my Mum and Dad on our current trip both ways so it's certainly happening still.^
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
wow, the yield FRA-SYD must be horrid if QF is subbing 4-class plane and still using J seats for Y. Sounds like they only sell 20% of J seats, still. Quite a contrast to LHR. Pays to go via FRA now.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by number_6
wow, the yield FRA-SYD must be horrid if QF is subbing 4-class plane and still using J seats for Y. Sounds like they only sell 20% of J seats, still. Quite a contrast to LHR. Pays to go via FRA now.
Dunno about mid-week, but on Thu/Fri nights (ex-SIN) you can't buy a J seat even if you want to. Even ex-Syd it seems pretty full most days.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I've been relatively successful for op-ups on this route, as have a couple of WP colleagues who were nearing close to 100% success for most of 2009.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by number_6
I was on QF 5 a few days ago to SIN, it was a 4 class aircraft sold as 2 class. Pay Y, sit in J seat. Win ^

In terms of op-ups... difficult to say with QF.
In contrast.. I checked in to a CX flight 7 hours early yesterday and got an op up...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by ajnz
I've been relatively successful for op-ups on this route, as have a couple of WP colleagues who were nearing close to 100% success for most of 2009.
What days of the week were they flying? I usually leave on a Thu/Fri night for QF6 ex-SIN, and it's always almost full in J:

EF is showing:
11/6: J0 C0 D0 I0 Y8 B5 H1 K0 M0 L0 VC S0 NC QC OC XC E0

18/6: J1 C0 DC IC Y9 B8 H5 K5 M4 L0 VC S0 NC QC OC XC E0

25/6: J4 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B3 H0 K0 M0 L0 VC S0 NC QC OC XC E0
(looks like 4 class a/c - might just buy a Y seat if flying this week :-)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
What days of the week were they flying? I usually leave on a Thu/Fri night for QF6 ex-SIN, and it's always almost full in J
It varies across the whole week, but I guess typically midweek for northbound and weekend for southbound. When I flew QF5 (SIN-FRA) last I was op-upped to business (after having a points upgrade declined), I think that was on a Thursday. They were offering $350 vouchers+hotel+taxi+etc to people who VDB'd.

I've been op-up'd SIN-SYD a couple of times on QF6 as a Gold on Thu & Fri nights.

It seems QF5/6 are often used by QF for group bookings in Y, leading to the op-up situation. I've often noted that J seats will decline in availability but they will continue selling Y, resulting in op-ups.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
FRA-SYD on QF had super specials especially when traveling with two people. So maybe buying up to this fare is a good idea?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...s-pricing.html
Just booked this fare, it's fantastic, and it's worth checking out the multiple destinations within Australia as it's very flexible.

Originally Posted by austgap
If the OP has status SG/WP then QF has been subbing in 4-class planes on QF5/6 and this has resulted in PE and also J (only WP offered) seats being offered to high status Y passengers and I have allocated and also my Mum and Dad on our current trip both ways so it's certainly happening still.^
Originally Posted by d00t
I was on QF 5 a few days ago to SIN, it was a 4 class aircraft sold as 2 class. Pay Y, sit in J seat. Win ^

In terms of op-ups... difficult to say with QF.
In contrast.. I checked in to a CX flight 7 hours early yesterday and got an op up...
Oh, questions, questions, questions...!

Travelling on QF6 on a Friday and returning on QF5 on a Saturday night (arriving Sunday morning) - is there any pattern to these plane substitutions? Do Qantas make these changes far in advance (giving me some time to move to the First seats)? I presume those with status are more likely to be in the First seats (am Oneworld Emerald, which probably gets me not very much)?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
Just booked this fare, it's fantastic, and it's worth checking out the multiple destinations within Australia as it's very flexible.
Travelling on QF6 on a Friday and returning on QF5 on a Saturday night (arriving Sunday morning) - is there any pattern to these plane substitutions? Do Qantas make these changes far in advance (giving me some time to move to the First seats)? I presume those with status are more likely to be in the First seats (am Oneworld Emerald, which probably gets me not very much)?
As an emerald (your profile does not indicate this) you should have access to a wide range of seats.

If Qantas are planning to use a 4 class, get a seat map (E/F, KVS or online seat selection) look for 14 seats in Zone A (nose) with only A/K in row 1 rather than 18 with 1A/B/J/K.

Planning is the word as Qantas may sub a 2 class back.

What I do is try to book seat that map on both versions 4E/F, 1/2/3/4-A/K etc. Just in case there is a sub back.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by serfty
As an emerald..
Oops, only Sapphire! It's a 2 class plane at the moment, but we are two months out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.