Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance For Award Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Travel Insurance For Award Flights?

Hello folks,
Looking into organising the QBE Annual Frequent Traveller Insurance. I have a QF Award (U) coming up in 3 weeks BNE-SYD-LAX-DFW-AUS-DFW-LAX-BNE with a paid side trip on AA AUS-DFW-MEM-AUS (N)

I also fly SYD-BNE-SYD (N) once a month on average and expect this will continue for a while plus hopefully the odd US trip. Does anyone here have this policy? How's it been working for you? Downsides? Upsides?

TIA
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I used it a couple of times some years ago, then stopped when my Amox gold card included insurance. Only had one claim when miss serfty's case went to Zurich rather than Gatwick!

Amex have since seriously downgraded the attached insurance and I am now using an annual policy costing AU$340 with www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au.

It does not refund points per se but makes provision for a pro-rata funds reimbursment in lieu.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 19, 2005 at 3:47 am Reason: Amix+
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

Amex since changed there policy and if am now using an annual policy costing AU$340 with www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au.
Ross - does that policy :

http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com...p?product_id=4

cover anything the Anz Gold Visa card insurance does not?

Seems identical to me at first glance. And that is effectively "free" per year.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Ross - does that policy :

http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com...p?product_id=4

cover anything the Anz Gold Visa card insurance does not?

Seems identical to me at first glance. And that is effectively "free" per year.
If you have one! (I did, but canned mine a year or two ago.)

I believe you have to pay at least a $250 component of a Journies' cost using the Gold Visa for a journey to be insured.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$250 toward ANYTHING to do with an overseas trip. I just pay airline taxes with that card.

Travel WITHIN Australia does not need that spend. Nor the free car roadside cover that to me is worth the cost of the card alone.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:04 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
On that topic, has anyone looked at the insurance on the new Amex Platinum Credit Card

or are you just paying for the free flight with that $395

(FYI I have it on good authority that some ppl who had AMEX Golds under affiliate programs, have been offered Plat for $295)
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:38 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
moa999, I'm waiting for the offer, maybe I'll just ring up and ask.

Dazer, sorry I can't help you, as I've never taken an award flight before (only ever use points for upgrades). My year round travel insurance is a Corporate policy with Cover-More Insurance Services (underwritten by American Home Assurance Company) - costs me $284 and includes business and leisure travel as well as accompanying family members (Mrs QF WP). Special deal through an Association that I couldn't say no to, when comparing the costs of other annual policies.

I always carry a copy of the policy document in my QFF bag (and their emergency card in my wallet).
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by QF WP
I always carry a copy of the policy document in my QFF bag (and their emergency card in my wallet).
I also carry the phone numbers for credit card cancellation / replacement in the countries visited and the home number back here in Oz. This is essential since in the land of the free and paranoid (ie USA) the toll free numbers for AMEX won't get you to a real person and if you can get round the system, they can't get a replacement card to you in anything near the implied 24 hrs.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Thanks for the responses folks ^ I'll do a comparision between the QBE and www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au. I have TI with my Westpac Altitude Gold Mastercard and Amex and need to find the T&C's for those cards but IIRC I need to spend $500 on it to get the TI which I never spend on the domestic flights per trip.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Dazer
Thanks for the responses folks ^ I'll do a comparision between the QBE and www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au. I have TI with my Westpac Altitude Gold Mastercard and Amex and need to find the T&C's for those cards but IIRC I need to spend $500 on it to get the TI which I never spend on the domestic flights per trip.
DAZER! - Ive had annual policies with both TID and QBE and have relied on westpac gold card for it in the past - I've no experience with claiming on TID, but they are underwritten by allianz, and my close friend works for allianz TI claims dept - and it seems OKAY from what I can see, and at 200 bucks less than QBE - who are totally retarded, it's worth looking at TID
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still do not know why anyone here needs to PAY for Ins?

The ANZ Gold VISA crowd are very good.

We hit (and killed) a dingo a few weeks back driving from Broome to Fitzroy Crossing.

Europcar were to charge us $2,750 for the damage.

ANZ Ins covered it and we only paid the excess on the policy of a few $100 - not $2750. All processed quick and easy.

And for travel in Aust NO purchase of any kind on the card is needed.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Still do not know why anyone here needs to PAY for Ins?

The ANZ Gold VISA crowd are very good.

We hit (and killed) a dingo a few weeks back driving from Broome to Fitzroy Crossing.

Europcar were to charge us $2,750 for the damage.

ANZ Ins covered it and we only paid the excess on the policy of a few $100 - not $2750. All processed quick and easy.

And for travel in Aust NO purchase of any kind on the card is needed.
I agree. Secondary card holders are free too. Just closed my Citibank Plat and opened ANZ Gold for the "free" Comprehensive Travel & Medical Insurance. It also now has Auto Assist, Warranty Extention and Purchase Security. Pretty good value for money all round I think.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Hmmm looks like I better look up those T&C's on my Altitude cards when I get home from BNE tomorrow nite (QF 555 if anyone would like to hook up for a HP or two - should be at the BNE QP by 6pm)

cheers all
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please note: This type of insurance is only available with the ANZ Gold Card.

It is not available with the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Gold card.

There is more information here: ANZ Credit Cards Insurance Features

Last edited by serfty; Sep 22, 2005 at 10:40 pm Reason: +link
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydney

I agree. Secondary card holders are free too. Just closed my Citibank Plat and opened ANZ Gold for the "free" Comprehensive Travel & Medical Insurance. It also now has Auto Assist, Warranty Extension and Purchase Security. Pretty good value for money all round I think.
It was exceptional value in the past.

Since they added Auto Assist it is AMAZING value IMHO. I have used that several times already and tossed away my NRMA card which was crap value to me.

The overseas travel coverage part requires you to be mindful of this :

In order for you to receive cover under this Master Policy for your journey,
a minimum of $250 towards the cost of your pre-booked transport costs (airfares and/or cruise) and/or land content (tours, hire cars or other hired transport and accommodation) must be purchased with your “ANZ Gold” card for the journey. This payment must be debited to your account prior to your departure from Australia. We will not respond to any claim until we have received proof of this payment by you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.