Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF to start SYD-SFO flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:34 pm

Are the ex-Oz prices quoted Us dollars or Aussie dollars?

Can anyone tell me if the Vancouver extension has the same flight number (i.e 1 one world segment if going SYD-Vancouver)?

thx
Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I think QF's SFO flights will do just fine. Just because SFO is a heavy *A hub doesn't mean fact that OW carriers can't perform well there. BA and CX send their 744s on a daily basis to SFO so I don't see any reason why QF can't perform well in the SFO market.
Exactly. BA flies to Denver and Phoenix - neither is a OW stronghold. QF will also get some connecting traffic on other airlines.

Of course I would prefer to see QF come to DFW.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ KrisFlyer, Citi Plat. . . . . Aussie living in LOTFAP. . EXPEDIA NONSHOPPER Plat/Life
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Exactly. BA flies to Denver and Phoenix - neither is a OW stronghold. QF will also get some connecting traffic on other airlines.

Of course I would prefer to see QF come to DFW.
I second a direct flight from SYD to DFW.

My ulimate route would be ATL to OOL, but thats not going to happen for the next 1000 years.

Robert
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by number_6
CX cannot use the BA lounge because it is being used by some non-OW airline (forget which one, maybe OZ). At least that was the case a couple of years ago when I looked into this. Hopefully BA will relent and allow QF to pay to use their lounge along with OZ (rather poetic justice if it is indeed OZ).
You are correct, the BA lounge is stilled used by OZ, which I cannot seem to understand why. Perhaps they have a better arrangement with BA....

The Lounge in question is indeed a BA Terrace Lounge operated by BA, only used by OZ prior to OZ departures.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:45 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Yep, I've flown into SFO about 50 times in recent years (I hate LAX) in mornings. Customs lines can take an hour to clear.

Under-manned very often. And with the recent USA nonsense of fingerprinting and photoing to folks who often do not speak English can take minutes a person to acheive .................................
Well, maybe it time to re-evaluate your preference for SFO over LAX. Since QF started using T4 for immigration and customs processing, my experience at LAX has been very good. My longest time from leaving the aircraft to exiting with my bags would be about 20 mins, and that is from a significant sample size - though not up to 50 times since the move to T4.

And of course the T4 Flagship Lounge is nice to wait out the other 100 mins of the min 2 hour connection time . Prior to the move to T4, I hated LAX arrivals on QF due to the unpredictable crowds at TBI arrivals. Since the move to T4 processing, I am very happy to use LAX for USA entry.

And yes, I do know you were talking about UA arrivals and not QF arrivals.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkc22
G is where UA (and others using G like SQ) arrivals clear customs, and A is where the "rest" (CX, BA, PR, AS, OZ, JL, NW...) do, so flying CX I arrive into usually empty customs lines, and flying F/J will ensure clearing customs in less than 5 minutes, luggage in less than 10, and out the airport door in 20. ^
Do also note that concourse A and concourse G are not connected to one another. So once you've passed through security at concourse A, you cannot enter concourse G or vice versa. And yes concourse A and G have their own Immigration, Baggage, and Custom facility respectively and they are also not connected to one another.
Originally Posted by jkc22
DO NOT use the JL Sakura Lounge.....it's a terrible lounge CX uses..... the BA Lounge is a much better choice.
I hated the Sakura lounge. I avoided it and spent more time at the terminal's historic display of aviation the last time I flew CX ex-SFO in May. Lounge is a total disgrace with poor food selections and wireless connection is always subject to slow speed or malfunction.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:20 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I hope QF release Vancouver schedules and prices soon as I am itching to go to Canada.

Hopefully Wunala Dreaming will present herself in SFO on the first flight from SYD ^
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:48 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Why fly QF to SFO?

I can understand why passengers wanting to fly to or from Sydney might take this option.

But what would possess anyone flying to or from Victoria or Queensland to fly on Qantas via Sydney when they could fly Air New Zealand via Auckland?

Firstly, Air NZ have far better connections beyond SFO on United.

Secondly, Air NZ will be operating the route 6 days per week, whereas Qantas will only do it three times weekly.

Thirdly, no Economy passenger in their right mind would prefer Qantas' cramped and outdated Economy Class to Air NZ's 34 inch Economy Class with intercative PTVs.

Fourthly, Air NZ's Business Premier class with genuine lie flat beds massively outclasses not just the embarrassing Business Class Skybin but also the Qantas First Class product.

Fifthly, Air NZ's loyalty scheme allows Confirmed long-haul Upgrades at the time of payment.

And I haven't even mentioned the 40" seating pitch in Air NZ's Premium Economy class.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by DCF

Firstly, Air NZ have far better connections beyond SFO on United.
If you are going to go from somwhere other than SYD to somewhere other than LAX and you want to go on QF, you will more likely choose BNE/MEL-LAX-???, why would you choose NZ on this basis to go BNE/MEL-AKL-SFO-???.

The QF connections are better in LAX as are the NZ connections in SFO. The QF SFO flights are more about the market between Australia and SFO rather than Australia and other parts of the US apart from SFO, as that is why QF hub in LAX to feed AA.

Your routing may be adventagous for those that either want to avoid LAX or those in PER/CNS that can access NZ to AKL.

QFs future focus will be on developing point to point international traffic to conteract the problem of the geography of Australia being on the way to nowhere. QFs new fleet acquisition will reflect that fact.

As for your other points, they may be valid, but then you would have to fly NZ.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
Thirdly, no Economy passenger in their right mind would prefer Qantas' cramped and outdated Economy Class to Air NZ's 34 inch Economy Class with intercative PTVs.

And I haven't even mentioned the 40" seating pitch in Air NZ's Premium Economy class.
Except for one small matter - NZ are going to serve SFO with 777's which will only have 32" kneespace. The Premium Y is admittedly 39", but that advantage is killed by the insistence to keep the standard 3x3x3 width-wise config, which is the same as that found in normal steerage. (I personally found the extra kneespace didn't necessarily counteract the disadvantage of still being squished like a sardine in the middle seat of 3 on AN's upper deck Y+ configuration.)
QF's AVOD installation is on the way so that comparison is moot now as well.
I'm impartial (even ambivalent) to both carriers as I now prefer another one, but I can't see much difference cabin wise in Y between QF's 744's and what NZ will be offering on the 777's. Certainly not enough to make me want to take a longer travelling time option via AKL if I was in BNE or MEL.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Al B
NZ are going to serve SFO with 777's which will only have 32" kneespace. The Premium Y is admittedly 39", but that advantage is killed by the insistence to keep the standard 3x3x3 width-wise config, which is the same as that found in normal steerage.
Yikes! One to avoid.

The Premium Economy sections look pretty small on both aircraft, too (numerically).
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DCF
.........Fifthly, Air NZ's loyalty scheme allows Confirmed long-haul Upgrades at the time of payment.....
NZ also has the worst way of trying to attract business. I previously mentioned their attitude of making phone calls at sunrise to the home number listed in the FF profile to check whether you live there (when trying to get a status match through the *A offer in Europe). Sorry, NZ, all the WHY+ seat space in the world won't get me onto your aircraft (read: black banned). I'll give the money to UA instead.

Last edited by og; Aug 16, 2005 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:48 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I would not use SFO as a transit point for destinations beyond if flying QF/AA. However, I have several times transited LAX for a connection to SFO or SJC when attending meetings etc in the bay area - usually Santa Clara or San Jose. I would very happy to fly BNE-SYD-SFO when my final destination is in Northern California.

But most of my trips had DFW as my first stopover, so LAX is best connection for there if flying QF/AA.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ozstamps
OW has pretty poor feeder traffic out of SFO (it is a major UA hub OTOH) and it is hardly Disneyland for the families, so I'd doubt you'll see it. UA struggles at half 747 loads many days.

SFO is the route I always book on UA as upgrades are easier due to lighter load.
Does that mean award availabilty from SFO to SYD is much better on United these days ?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I for one is happy to see QF flying transpacific nonstop to another U.S. mainland destination other than LAX. It's great to see that they are no longer putting all their eggs into one basket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.