OT: Good hotel in Darwin?

Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

OT: Good hotel in Darwin?

I have tried to search this (and other forums) and not found an answer. Can anyone recommend a good - preferably luxurious - hotel in Darwin? My mum is doing a 6 week in-home tutoring stint in the bush and as a birthday present I was thinking of treating her to a night in a good hotel before she flies home. She otherwise has a habit of staying in youth hostels (aged 65, dicky knee and all). I have been trawling the 'net but not having been to Darwin am somewhat at a loss. The criteria are: suitable for an aged mother at the end of a not-holiday on a station and a bus ride up to Darwin; 4 or 5 star equivalent, if possible; centre of the city or easy access for someone with no car and an almost pathological objection to using taxis; doesn't necessarily need to be a brand name - a boutique hotel or frankly even an inn would be fine.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:46 pm

When I stayed in Darwin recently, I stayed in the Crowne Plaza.

It's a good hotel, but probably not exactly what you are looking for (It's more of a business person's orientated hotel) than a "relax and be pampered" type of hotel.

There isn't that many hotels in the heart of Darwin.

One tip that may assist. When looking for a hotel pretty much anywhere in Australia, Qantas Readyrooms has an excellent set of "where are all of those hotels" maps.

Visit http://www.qantas.com.au/readyrooms/...antas&city=DRW and have a look at the Maps section on the top right hand side.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:19 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
The Crowne Plaza would be my only hotel stay in Darwin.

Last edited by dannyr; Jul 15, 2005 at 11:19 pm Reason: URL Fixing
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club
The Holiday Inn Esplanade is a cut above most Holiday Inns. It used to be the best hotel in town as The Beaufort, much of that glory has faded but it still has the best pool in Darwin and a calm ambience. Great views from there too.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
You could try the site http://www.wotif.com Could be handy either to locate a hotel, or once you know which you want you may be able to get a better price on it. It is still advisable to shop around, and also inquire direct with the hotel, as I have heard in recent times that this can sometimes be cheaper than going through a site like wotif.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:03 am

I thought the crowne plaza wasnt bad!
but I did get an upstairs downstairs kinda room. so if that will not suit a dickie knee maybe call and ask them do they have normal rooms.
it was cleana nd friendly.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:02 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I would also suggest the Holiday Inn Esplanade; I stayed there and thought it was good and some work colleagues stayed there and thought the place was good.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
You could try the site http://www.wotif.com Could be handy either to locate a hotel, or once you know which you want you may be able to get a better price on it. It is still advisable to shop around, and also inquire direct with the hotel, as I have heard in recent times that this can sometimes be cheaper than going through a site like wotif.
I have sometimes tried this, the hotel desk jockey has told me that "i am not allowed to offer a rate that low, I suggest buying through wotif".. tee hee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.