Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer or AAdvantage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer or AAdvantage?

I live in NZ. I'm new to airpoints schemes. I'm doing some internal flights around US in Nov on American Airlines Class L tickets. Qantas being a member of oneworld, I thought I'd join Qantas Frequent Flyer but cannot find any advantage over American Airlines AAdvantage.

Frequent Flyer costs $50 to join
Only get 50% milage on Class L tickets

AAdvantage is free to join
I get 100% mileage on Class L tickets

As far as I'm aware I can still earn and redeem AAdvantage points for Qantas flights from NZ. Am I missing something?

Thanks

-KENT
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:06 am

If you look carefully at the partner mileage charts you recieve less points on AA when travelling in some discounted economy classes with QF. That's something you'll need to weigh up.

Also AA have the Gold and Platinum Challenges [See the Stickey]
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:24 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
kentsmith, welcome to the world or getting to status quickly (thus the reason a couple of us call it the AA Lack of Challenge). It's not very difficult to get elite stAAtus with lounge access and business class check-in facilities.

It certainly beats having the "bum on seat" fixed attitude of QF. So if you have no status now with QF, then just go for the AAdvantage membership.

I'm doing some internal flights around US in Nov on American Airlines Class L tickets
What about the flights getting to & from USA?? Certainly, as you have already observed, AA L class flights through the Gold or Platinum Challenge are very handy. But you'd be certain of getting Platinum with the long haul flights added to your tally.

No, you're not missing anything. You've found a beautiful program.

Last edited by QF WP; Jul 8, 2005 at 5:26 am Reason: correcting URL
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AA codeshares operated by Qantas give 100% AA mileage. If you are able to book those, the benefit of such + 100% AA mileage on AA L fares in the US probably outweighs the reduced mileage accumulation for QF marketed and operated discount economy flights within Australia.

If you obtain AA Platinum status, then it's business class check in + QP access when flying within Australia too, as QF WP points out.

Search on the word 'Challenge' in the AA forum for more details.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:47 am
Original Poster

What about the flights getting to & from USA??
No, going United so looking at a similar issue with AirNZ Airpoints and United MileagePlus (i.e Star Alliance), but that ones a bit of a no-brainer as AirNZ give no points on economy flights and United do.

-KENT
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kentsmith
AirNZ give no points on economy flights and United do.
That is not true. There are some fares which do not earn on NZ Airpoints, just as there are some fares which do not earn on UA Mileage Plus. However there are plenty of other economy fares which do earn on both Airpoints and Mileage Plus.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is not true. There are some fares which do not earn on NZ Airpoints, just as there are some fares which do not earn on UA Mileage Plus. However there are plenty of other economy fares which do earn on both Airpoints and Mileage Plus.
You're right, I really meant to say economy Class 'S' which is what I'm on for those flights. It is true some economy fares do attract airpoints. Sorry for confusion.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by Spiff
If you obtain AA Platinum status, then it's business class check in + QP access when flying within Australia too, as QF WP points out.
Not mentioning 100% mileage bonus for being Plat and a possibility (alas capacity controlled) to upgrade to First on domestic US flights using upgrade certificates (you earn 4 certs every 10,000 mlies - this starts from Gold level).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.