Wiki Posts
Search

No more Fully Flexible?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
No more Fully Flexible?

I've tried a multitude of domestic destinations for various dates, but the Qantas website isn't showing up Fully Flexible fares anymore! What's with that? Are they leaving H and Y to be booked through travel agents or are they trying to shift people to J?

Edited to add:
Interestingly, there are now multiple fare levels in Flexi Saver, which I thought was just K, so maybe they've moved H or Y in there?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
I've tried a multitude of domestic destinations for various dates, but the Qantas website isn't showing up Fully Flexible fares anymore! What's with that? Are they leaving H and Y to be booked through travel agents or are they trying to shift people to J?

Edited to add:
Interestingly, there are now multiple fare levels in Flexi Saver, which I thought was just K, so maybe they've moved H or Y in there?
Interesting!

Availability still exists in Fully Flexible via other online sites, and nothing appears to be changed on the QF site about the fare classes etc.

I'd put this down to *yet another* set of website issues.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
sheesh - doesnt QF ever test changes to their website before releasing it to the public?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat (LTG)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
sheesh - doesnt QF ever test changes to their website before releasing it to the public?
Performance is slower than normal too...

But that could just be me...
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by swissbignose
Performance is slower than normal too...

But that could just be me...
It's been a bit slow (in my opinion) over the last couple of days.

But I put that down to their current sale and the good marketing (25% off!!!)
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Maybe Qantas are to do away with Y class fares altogether; really they are an anachronism. I have NOT flown on one in the last four years. (That's out of of over 250 segments)
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Maybe Qantas are to do away with Y class fares altogether; really they are an anachronism. I have NOT flown on one in the last four years. (That's out of of over 250 segments)
I have to get special approval to use Y, so I haven't had a flight in Y in ages.

QF probably busted the Fully Flexible column when they stuck the sale column in

Last edited by perthite; Jul 2, 2005 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
H&Y are the preferred booking classes for domestic travel in my company (for those of use below senior manager grades). They are expensive, and I'm sure K would suffice if people put some thought into their plans. However, the flexibility available in Y is used very frequently, including the refund option.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Not if you ever have to fly on the 1730 from CBR-MEL! I've used that flight about half a dozen times in the last six to eight months, and the only seats ever available are H or Y (and for most of them I've had to use the Platinum guaranteed seat to book). There are also flights on other routes (eg MEL/SYD) that K fares are either not available or snapped up quickly.

Also on Qantas link flights there is very little difference between K & H fares - (eg TMW-SYD an extra $10) which is not much to pay for full refundability.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:55 pm
Lis

Agree, I've also flown Y - but that's only when I've missed my flight booked in K, MEL-SYD. I am one of those people who like seeing if I can manage to get on a flight if I check in 16 minutes prior to departure.

Interestingly, if I call QF while I am thundering down the Tullamarine Highway, attempting to move my K-class fare, they will always charge me to upgrade to an available seat - which by that time is usually Y.

On several occasions now I have left my flight as is and missed check-in (arriving 14 minutes prior to departure). I have avoid the change-of-class charge about 50% of the time but it definitely depends on the mood of ticketing staff and my level of charm (normally quite lacking by then anyway.)
Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:50 am

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Originally Posted by Lis
Agree, I've also flown Y - but that's only when I've missed my flight booked in K, MEL-SYD. I am one of those people who like seeing if I can manage to get on a flight if I check in 16 minutes prior to departure.
Semi OT I know but...

As another devotee of the try for K class 16 minutes before I've always wanted to know what happens if you do actually miss the flight and couldn't change it for whatever reason (let's pretend flat mobile phone battery whilst in the cab). Can you just rock up after the flight and upgrade to Y and be okay or does that only work if you rock up after check in closes but before the flight departs?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:20 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
You can, so long as the flight hasn't closed. Once it has, under a K class fare, say "bye bye" to the money - unless you can get special dispensation.

See Fare Card
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by bers
Semi OT I know but...

As another devotee of the try for K class 16 minutes before I've always wanted to know what happens if you do actually miss the flight and couldn't change it for whatever reason (let's pretend flat mobile phone battery whilst in the cab). Can you just rock up after the flight and upgrade to Y and be okay or does that only work if you rock up after check in closes but before the flight departs?
i can tell you if you call the contact centre the proceedure is if you are on a k class it can be changed to another k class as long as the flt is still open. if it has closed the ticket needs to be suspended by the consultant, and if y class or h class or b class is all thats left you need to go to the class available to sell or keep moving thru the availabilty until a k class comes up which if its a friday night will probably be saturday morning cause most of the k class, and h clas and b class if not the y class along with it have been bought out. as far as trying the checkin staff on the day, i have been told they dont know the main fare rules, if its refundable or not so you might be able to get away with it there, but it might be cheaper to upgrade it and use what you have got with your k class to go toward a y class rather than let your k class forfiet and have to pay for a y class outright.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:14 am

I think perthite is correct here.

Mysteriously overnight (co-inciding with the end of the Red-e-deal sale) Fully Flexible has returned.

Current columns are:

Red e-Deal
Super Saver
Flexi Saver
Fully Flexible
Business
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I think perthite is correct here.

Mysteriously overnight (co-inciding with the end of the Red-e-deal sale) Fully Flexible has returned.

Current columns are:

Red e-Deal
Super Saver
Flexi Saver
Fully Flexible
Business
Agreed; it's probably for one of three reasons or a bit of each:
  • QF feel the average punter can only properly scan up to 5 columns of fares, and/or
  • Having 6 columns would take up too much screen "real estate" causing clutter etc., and/or
  • Their "You beaut" software built at Mucho cost can only cope with the five columns.
I had not seen the "Sale" column before; I guess it is new and the "You beaut" version will not show more than 5 groups; with Y class as the first to be eliminated. So from an IT perspective it would be more the first two rather than the last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.