Upgrading eligable family members???

Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Upgrading eligable family members???

My Aunt flew LAX-BNE-LAX on QF over the last 2 weeks. Several days ago I called the QF (US) call center and requested an upgrade to Business for the return (from discount economy) which they said would cost 72,000 miles and that they could not confirm (she would be able to confirm on check-in) - well her flight left a few hours ago and I am told that when she checked in the agent told her that she wasn't able to upgrade with someone elses miles so she was in Economy.

Is this correct - as usual the rules make no specific mention either way - I would have thought that if it was a rule they would have told me when I called. Just wanting to know if I should write to QF asking that they train the call center people to tell people the correct rules or if I should ask them to train the check-in staff.

My Aunt is in the air so there is no way to fix things for her but I am disappointed that I couldn't upgrade her (especially when you consider the amount of miles they wanted to charge).

Thanks for the help.

A
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
... I am told that when she checked in the agent told her that she wasn't able to upgrade with someone elses miles so she was in Economy.

Is this correct - ...
The Agent was NOT correct!

I would not mind betting your aunt was being "fobbed off"!

Please consider the following from the "... Program - Terms & Conditions" (I have underlined relevant parts):
Originally Posted by Definitions
'Award' means any Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airline, Airline Partner or Non-airline Partner product or service which has been nominated by Qantas or the relevant partner as eligible to be obtained by a Member redeeming Points through Qantas Frequent Flyer, including an Award Certificate, an Award Flight, or a Flight Upgrade; ...
'Eligible Family Member' of a member means any person the Member can demonstrate, to the reasonable satisfaction of Qantas, as being related to that Member in any of the ways described below:
  • Uncle/Aunt
Originally Posted by 12. Redeeming Points for Awards
12.1 ...
12.3 Members may assign Awards that they obtain through Qantas Frequent Flyer to their Eligible Family Member. ...

Last edited by serfty; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:30 pm
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
My Aunt is in the air so there is no way to fix things for her but I am disappointed that I couldn't upgrade her (especially when you consider the amount of miles they wanted to charge).
The number of miles is irrelevent imo. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Agent's comments; from what I can tell, upgrades are actually processed in advance of check in and at check in the system just finalises it. If the upgrade was going to come through , it would have been waiting for her at the airport; the Agent was just spouting rubbish

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Thanks for the help. I'll send QF a letter suggesting they do something about the check in agents on the front desk saying the wrong thing. The amount of miles wasn't the issue - more that i had promised to try and upgrade her and instead of saying it wasn't successful they said that I did the wrong thing...

A
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I can reconfirm what is said above. I just upgraded a family member last week with no problems.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:42 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
ANDREWCX, the use of one members FFP's or UC's for a J upgrade for a travelling pax (in your case, your Aunt) is based on the "honour' (or 'self assessment") system (like the Tax Office) - QF does not check prior that the person meets the T&C rules. Also see here for additional information.

Aunts and Nephews can have different surnames, so I agree, the CSA was spouting rubbish about "the surname issue". The J seat (if available) should have been pre-allocated by Yield Management within 24 hours prior to the flight. One only finds out now at check-in whether one has been successful - the higher the status, the more liklihood of success (assuming there are upgradeable seats available). Assuming you are a Bronze member from your profile (QF Club membership is irelevant to the upgrade situation); then she would have been behind any Chairmans Lounge, Plats, Golds and Silvers who had also asked for upgrades. Within the Bronze members who had asked, you would have been ranked by the time you rang and requested it (first in, first in queue).

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 27, 2005 at 2:48 am Reason: adding comments

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.