Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Becoming addicted to J...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by abcedaria
I know its a conversation that is continually being rehashed. Who fits in the back, who doesnt. Well, at 6'4 I don't. I know other people of equal height say they dont really notice it. I do. I either have to have a leg up the aisle, or my knees around my ears. I feel like I should be charging by the hour when that happens. And all before the seat in front is reclined.
I'm 6"1, and I find that I can just fit comfortably, but if the pax in front wants to recline, things become uncomfortable (especially in the 73Hs).
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
I guess it doesn't take much to make you happy.

Ha ha ha. I may have been over-exaggerating just a little. But don't get me wrong, I always look forward to flying, and being in J just makes it a WHOLE lot better.

Another thing, I always try to get a 738 when in J and grab the first row. It's definitely not worth paying a premium if you're in a 734 or a 733 The 763 is good also if travelling alone and you can get the 'loner' seat on the left.

P.S. Things would have been different if I got the coriander chicken!!!! From what I've heard

QFBoy
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:25 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by QFBoy
Ha ha ha. I may have been over-exaggerating just a little. But don't get me wrong, I always look forward to flying, and being in J just makes it a WHOLE lot better.

Another thing, I always try to get a 738 when in J and grab the first row. It's definitely not worth paying a premium if you're in a 734 or a 733 The 763 is good also if travelling alone and you can get the 'loner' seat on the left.

P.S. Things would have been different if I got the coriander chicken!!!! From what I've heard

QFBoy
Y will look much more attractive when you run out of CC credit
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by willyroo
I'll take a 332 J seat anyday on a transcon.

But...

I'll take a 738 transcon over a 332 transcon any day in J. The 332 is really tight, if you're in the wrong seat you can't see the IFE screens.
Given a choice of a 333 and a 332 east coast to/from Per; I'll take the Skybeds any day
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
QF are really going to have to think about dropping that corriander chicken- I had it in Feb, on a SYD-MEL lunch flight in J- it was really horrible! But, since the other choice was salmon steaks, and I don't each fish..... Well, at least the rolls were soft for a change.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:01 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by fly747first
I guess it doesn't take much to make you happy.
Please go bAAck to AAnother board, you'll find others like you who thrive in making unecessarily unkind observations like this.

Back to the op, you've classically been hooked by the tactics employed by QF and other carriers (some better at it than others) but can't say I blame you.

I did my first RTW five years ago - all in Y. Since then I've moved progressively from tail to nose. What swung it for me? Sure, a better seat, better food / wine etc. But the deciding factor? Discovering that with certain creative routings you can travel F for around the cost of Y...
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by CdaWorld
We needn't be ashamed of our love of good service, comfort and (hopefully) fine dining in the sky.
I'm yet to have anything close to a 'fine dining' experience on QF Dom, let alone any other carrier, in any class. The gap between J and Y food quality has reduced greatly over the past few years, to the point that I pass on the main course on most domestic and Trans Tasman J trips.

Short of a work place/institution cafeteria, you would struggle to find a meal on the ground as poor as those served in flight. Fine dining it aint.

Does anyone have an actual budget figure that QF use to cost meals per PAX in various classes?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:52 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QFBoy, albeit that I am double your age, I too remember when I got hooked and I mistakenly hooked my wife as well.

I decided at 30 that I would seek to fly Business (after watching my uncle fly it regularly to business conferences) whenever I could. It took a monumental change in my life perspective (cancer) to realise that I didn't want to be the richest ashes in the wall; so I splashed out on a ( full fare) RTW F including Concorde (this was just before I had found FT). I had booked this also just before I met Mrs QF WP; so once I realised she was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, I organised a ticket BNE/AKL/CHC/SYD/BNE to correspond with the final sectors on my trip (AKL/CHC etc).

I created two J monsters in one foul swoop. Even better now is the upgraded Skybeds. I look wherever I can to use my Plat status and the points/UC's we have to upgrade longhaul flights. Because to me, that's the best use of my hard earned points....and collect brownie points ^

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 23, 2005 at 7:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
What QF WP posted. Well said mate.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:32 pm

Lets hope I dont ceate an F monster!

Originally Posted by QF WP

I created two J monsters in one foul swoop.
Those monsters are easy to create. The recently added Mrs Under the clocks had had limited Y experiences, both domestically and OS, prior to joining my clan.

A first up DONE4 followed by a return MEL-JFK in J have given her a distorted view of travel. When I book domestic Y or trips to NZ in the same class, she quips up with the "you kepp tlling me about all those points you have.... time to use them"

I have an upcoming AONE4 in August, and like QF WP, will be having my wife join me in Sth Africa for the return to Australia via LHR. Have confirmed upgrades from J to F (pre 25 May) for her JNB-LHR and LHR-MEL.

At least I have a partner who loves travel as much as I do, and one who puts up with my constant FT lurking.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by deeruck
I'm 6"1, and I find that I can just fit comfortably, but if the pax in front wants to recline, things become uncomfortable (especially in the 73Hs).
It's all in the legs! Mr goosegreen is also 6'1" but has short legs/long body so fits easily in Y. But if you're the long legs/short body type, too bad.

Originally Posted by QF WP
QFBoy, albeit that I am double your age
Just exactly how old are you, QF WP?? You certainly don't look twice anybody's age! In fact, all the lovely QF boys I met at OzFest looked young to me. Ahh...to be that age again!
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:33 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I like to keep my audience guessing ... but I look young, so I credit my mothers' gene's (well, if you saw my father, you'd understand ). Maybe that was one of the reasons Mrs QF WP married me...I looked her age @:-) (plus I upgrade her at every opportunity, take her to nice hotels, etc)...

Just checked out QFBoy's profile, so I had well and truly left high school before he was born ... as I thought.

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 24, 2005 at 12:38 am Reason: adding comments
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:25 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
If you think your J addiction needs a check or, dare I say, a cure, just fly Jetconnect's 733 J. You'll be all good then...
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
I actually being on the HBA-MEL J Class on a 738. I don't think they are convertible seats (as there was a leg rest). Overall I find the experience good but not spectacular. However I was really knackered that day (due to work) and have to fly to HKG non-stop (via MEL and SYD) as soon as I find out it only cost 300AUD to upgrade to J from HBA-MEl-SYD I just paid. I am glad I did as it made my hole experience to HKG much better.

I had the beef casserole as well. I fidn the beef to be ordinary, but the rosemary potatoes were good (however I need to watch my carb consumption!) Agreed with teh coriander Chicken. That is one of the worst meals I've ever had. even the Y Class pasta dish taste better.

I am also addicted to J Class (ever since my first time on CX J Class - back then there was no IFE). I must say I spend over 70% of my salary on airfares and all my friends and colleagues think I am strange, but really you only live once so why not enjoy it! (especially you can get cheap I Fares from HKG-SYD for just 2000AUD on CX)
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leumas
If you think your J addiction needs a check or, dare I say, a cure, just fly Jetconnect's 733 J. You'll be all good then...
Uhh, I think I'll pass on that offer. i'd like to keep my sanity.

QFBoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.