Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advice for parking baggage in HK whilst transiting SYD-HK-BKK-HK one day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P

I've booked from SYD to HKG on QF127 scheduled to arrive at HKG at 17:45.

I want to overnight in BKK before returning to HKG the next day (on CX712 at 16:05) and wanted to connect to CX703 leaving HKG for BKK at 18:40 but have been told that the 55 minutes is outside guidelines so I've booked CX709 from HKG to BKK at 22:20.

The SYD-HKG flight is e-ticket with QF and the HKG-BKK flight is a separate e-ticket with CX (the CX flight is in class K and I’m willing to pay the HK$500 rebooking fee).

I'd prefer to spend the 3:40 hours in BKK rather than HKG.

I don't need nor want to take my checked baggage to BKK with me and would prefer it to remain at HKG and I collect it the next day when I return to HKG.

Also I'd prefer not to have to go in and out immigration at HKG prior to going to BKK.

I reckon that if QF127 is on time that I’ve enough time to get to CX703 if I don’t have to transit immigration and I don’t have to collect my checked baggage.

If I have to go through immigration and collect my baggage I could perhaps take it with me to BKK or check it at HKG and still make the earlier flight but that’s iffy considering the likely queues at HKG.

What options do I have:

Could I check my bag SYD-HKG and say that I’ll pick it up a day later at HKG?

Could QF or CX give me a BP for the HKG-BKK flight in SYD?

When I get to HKG could I go to CX prior to immigration and have them give me a BP for HKG-BKK and have CX collect and hold my checked baggage?

Could I ask QF or CX at SYD to check me on the CX703 flight and have them take care of the baggage if I don’t make the connection?

TIA.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The legal choices are:
1. check luggage SYD-BKK at SYD, QF can give you BP for both legs (if they cannot you can get BP at the transit desk in HKG which is usually fast). You stay airside at HKG and do not go through immigration.
2. check luggage SYD-HKG, clear immigration and customs and leave luggage at the left-luggage service in the arrivals hall outside of customs (this charges a few dollars per piece per day). I'm usually through customs in less than 10 minutes from leaving the plane, as the baggage is always there sooner than I can walk there (but that is for F). Zero chance of making a 55 minute connection (unless you are CX Diamond, in which case you can make arrangements). I'm not sure what chance you have of changing flights on a discounted ticket (as evidenced by the change fee) within an hour of the flight (my impression is that CX will do that for tickets with no change fee but not for discounted tickets -- too much processing involved to do at the gate).
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
...I'm not sure what chance you have of changing flights on a discounted ticket ... within an hour of the flight...
No problem. I arrived last week at HKG 40 minutes before a flight to BKK (no baggage) and as long as I paid the HK$500 fee they were very happy to change.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:34 am
Original Poster

I've decided that I can do without checked baggage so my plan now is to not go thru immigration in HKG but I'll need to get my boarding pass in HKG.

Can someone please advise me the quickest way to get a CX boarding pass on arrival at HKG? I know that I can't get upstairs to the departure level without one. Is the CX booking desk accessible from the arrivals level before immigration?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.