EBU (Nalanji) may never fly again!

Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:13 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF 777-300ER
I think there was another 747sp, might have been VH-EAB i think.
Yes, two being VH-EAA and VH-EAB. both suffered the same fate.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Originally Posted by ozmerish
Always wanted to ride on the SP but no luck. Always one of my favorites of the 747 family.
The SPs were on SYD-MNL a lot before they retired. I enjoyed them too, and have had many trips on them.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:25 pm
NM

Originally Posted by infoworks
The SPs were on SYD-MNL a lot before they retired. I enjoyed them too, and have had many trips on them.
I scored my one and only SP flight on a MEL-PER trip in November 2001, soon after the increased QF load demand following the Ansett demise.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:43 am

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Slightly OT - Other Paint Schemes

Originally Posted by NM
Looks like its a 737-800 that got the Commonwelath Games logo. May also be applied to others later, but for now its VH-VYE.
Just wondering how long paint schemes remain on an a/c. I saw the 75th Trans Pac Crossing paint on a 738 when I arrived in BNE on Thursday morning. Flew on that one a while back - so I'm still on track with all the "theme" a/c - except the 738 Yananyi Dreaming - covered
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: Malaysia Enrich, Priority Club
Yananyi dreaming, no loss. Did you go on the old Wunala or the new one?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Would have been the old one - going back a few years now.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:24 pm
NM

Originally Posted by ozmerish
Just wondering how long paint schemes remain on an a/c. I saw the 75th Trans Pac Crossing paint on a 738 when I arrived in BNE on Thursday morning. Flew on that one a while back - so I'm still on track with all the "theme" a/c - except the 738 Yananyi Dreaming - covered
It depends on the scheme that is painted. For instance, the Formula-1 scheme that was on VH-OJC disappeared after Qantas stopped being the naming sponsor for the Australian F1 race. I would expect the Commonwealth Games 737 to remain until its next scheduled painting - however long that may be???
Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:41 am

I would think that it would stay until the next Commenwealth games. Dunno how long away that it
Old Sep 24, 2005, 6:56 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Had a few beers with a mate of mine who works at Avalon yesterday. They have everything needed for the interior refit of -EBU, but his feeling is that it will only happen if there's another delay with the A380s.

The other point he noted was the RR engines used in the 743s are pretty thin on the ground nowadays, and they're a "bast@rd to work on compared to the GEs".
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:48 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by willyroo
Had a few beers with a mate of mine who works at Avalon yesterday. They have everything needed for the interior refit of -EBU, but his feeling is that it will only happen if there's another delay with the A380s.
I would imagine if this happens, then Qantas might try to get Airbus to pay for the refit as well....
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:34 pm
NM

Originally Posted by willyroo

The other point he noted was the RR engines used in the 743s are pretty thin on the ground nowadays, and they're a "bast@rd to work on compared to the GEs".
So did he give away why EBU was taken into a hanger last week? Was it to steel some other parts to keep one the other's in the air?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:47 pm

i heard it was to steal more parts of her. and also to cover her up a bit more so it doesnt rust!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:17 am
NM

Latest rumour seems to be that she may become a dive wreck at the bottom of Port Phillip Bay once all the useful parts are removed. That would be a sad ending for a classic aircraft. But the divers amongst our ranks might find it an interesting feature on the bottom of the bay (especially those with 8 :-: s).

But no confirmation as yet, just a BB rumour.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:33 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NM
Latest rumour seems to be that she may become a dive wreck at the bottom of Port Phillip Bay once all the useful parts are removed. That would be a sad ending for a classic aircraft. But the divers amongst our ranks might find it an interesting feature on the bottom of the bay (especially those with 8 :-: s).
While I have heard of ships being sunk to become dive wrecks, I am not sure that I have heard of a plane being sunk for that purpose. But I can see that it would make quite an interesting site for divers.

Has there been any cases of planes being sunk, on purpose, as dive wrecks?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NM

But no confirmation as yet, just a BB rumour.

I was just polishing my :-: s when I read this. It would be a great addition to the bottom of the bay , especially if they dont totally gut it and even more so if they stick it down somewhere like 50m to keep the riff-raff away

There have been cases of planes being scuttled to make dive sites interesting

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.