Search

Long term planning - Anzac Day 2006

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:31 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Long term planning - Anzac Day 2006

Just starting to lay down the ground work here for a trip, using points mostly, to Anzac Cove for Anzac Day, 2006, and seeking some guidance.

My thoughts are to book BA WT+ SYD-LHR-SYD, getting me into LHR around 20APR or thereabouts. I would intend on doing this as soon as seats opened up. Return flight would be around 02MAY, although may have to be booked immediately and change the dates when my actual dates start to open up.

Now, thoughts on LHR-IST would be appreciated.

Should I make this part of the original award flights? Or perhaps a new award a bit closer to the date? Or just a cheap webfare?

Asking this far in advance as I am normally quite meticulous about these sorts of things, and I like to plan them down to the last detail. Also, it doesn't hurt to get an annual leave application in 24 months ahead.

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:07 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Are you planning on stopping over in the UK ? If not, I'd just put the LHR - IST on the same award - it won't cost anything extra unless you stopover in the UK.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:32 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozzie
Are you planning on stopping over in the UK ? If not, I'd just put the LHR - IST on the same award - it won't cost anything extra unless you stopover in the UK.
Yep, will be stopping over in the UK - have rellies in Liverpool and Stamford, and normally use Liverpool as a base.

My thoughts currently are to use a BA WT+ award to LHR at 137,500 points (under the old scheme) and then either pay for or use points for LHR-IST under a seperate booking (under the new scheme).

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:43 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
If you have the points, go all the way on the one award ticket. The points are only going to be devalued after May 25th.

I suggest you verify that if you book a return now and change the date later, that they will not re-calculate the points requirement using the post-May 25 rules. I expect you will be ok, but its worth checking.

My only other consideration would be if I needed the SC's to retain WP status. If so, then I would consider paying for some or all of the fare and making it a SC-run. WT+ is a good cabin for a SC-run. And if paying, I would consider booking with a stopover in SIN or BKK to ensure I got the SC's for the intermediate legs.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I would not recommend booking last minute hoping for special fare. Was there a few years ago and even a couple of weeks after Anzac Day Turkey was still overrun with kiwis and aussies. My guess is flights to/from convenient connection points such as LHR would be pretty full for a period before and after.

PS isnt the annual leave application 12 months ahead (or did you apply last year)?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:11 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
PS isnt the annual leave application 12 months ahead (or did you apply last year)?
Memo to self - when posting after being at the local pub for five hours, ALWAYS proof-read.

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:02 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by NM
My only other consideration would be if I needed the SC's to retain WP status.
I didn't realise he'd already made it WP status NM, still though he was a humble SG...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF WP
I didn't realise he'd already made it WP status NM, still though he was a humble SG...
My comment was in the first person, not putting myself in thadocta's shoes. It would be a consideration for me .
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:44 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by thadocta
Now, thoughts on LHR-IST would be appreciated.
Dave,

My understanding is that Aitalia, Air France, Swiss, and Tyrolean Airways are the only airlines that fly this route. Tyrolean do a codeshare with Austrian Airways.

No-one does a direct flight, and it comes down to where you feel like visiting en-route. Ticket prices this far out are about the same. MXP, FCO, CDG, ZRH, or VIE are the options for stopover.

Personally, I'd be on a Tyrolean flight collecting some *A points and then transfer them back. Tyrolean would give you the chance to fly a nice little bird [Dash 8, Fokker 70, or Canadair Jet]. The food on Airlinemeals.net looks semi-alright too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.