Anyone had status renewed early?

Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:44 am
mgm
Original Poster

Anyone had status renewed early?

I've been offline for a couple of weeks and just checked my QF summary page. It shows that my platinum status now expires in 2006 even though so far this membership year I only have 900 SC's. Anyone else noticed this?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I had my gold status renewed a few weeks ago and received my new card for expiry Feb 2006. The status reassessment was meant to have occurred in Feb 2005. However, I have already reached 1190 SC's so the gold renewal was a formality, unlike your situation where they have renewed even though you haven't reached the required level.

I would be on Platinum level by now, however since Qantas anounced its FFP changes, I have redirected all my points and travel to Cathay. I was wondering whether they would bump me up to Platinum regardless at 1190 SCs, but since they have already renewed my membership to Gold, they probably will not.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:38 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
mgm ... Qantas don't tend to like people losing their platinum status - I've had them renew my status early even though it didn't look like I was necessarily going to requalify... HOWEVER, they did send me a letter asking me to explain what type of travel I expect over the next 12 months and whether I'd likely requalify then (which I did). But for them to do it without notice is a little strange.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I had my SG status renewed about 2 months early with only 300 SC's. I've switched to UA, so it doesn't really mean much to me anymore.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:27 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
As sime pointed out, QF are very kind to Platinum's and give us a little leeway on the points qualification sometimes. I have been comped early twice in a row now, however given that I earned 2,365 SC's in the year I qualified Plat, when the comped me early I thought it was justifiable (in the end, I reached 1,200; comfortably over the re-qual mark of 1,100).

This year, they have comped me early again, however I might fall just short of the re-qual requirement. Stilll, taking an average of the 3 years I've been WP, the average is comfortably above the re-qual mark.

Considering the changes they made to the program (and the losses to Plat members), perhaps they are being generous by giving something back to lessen the pain. As a shareholder, I still think it is imperative to keep the premium spenders continuing to spend up big on my airline, so I'm a happy soul.

They also re-qual'ed Mrs QF WP early (about 50 SC's) for Silver, after she made good use of their double SC's - another sweetner for the lower status amongst QFF's to qualify for higher status. But like most, when she has AA Plat, why waste it??
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I checked my records and QF requalified me early (about mid-year!) with about 900 SCs but travel booked for an additional 3000 SCs (of course I don't credit that to QF!). They could clearly see the reservations (subsequently flown and credited to AA); now I'll probably never credit any more travel to QFF but still have a dozen UCs to burn -- be very upset if they convert those to miles at 5000 miles/UC!!!! Presumably they would use the actual burn ratio if such a conversion ever occured (don't really see why they would want to do the conversion, as they can just let them age out).
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This year I was sent a new SG card in May, 5 Months early. (My review month is October.) At the time I had approx 400 SC's with bookings for another 120 or so. Coming into spring I had a few further flights & in the end 700 SC's 'expiring' on 31st October; so I easily requalified.

Last year, I only reached 580 SC's by 31st October, but retained SG. I was sent a new card in early September when I had about 500. ^
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:03 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I just took a look at my account now, and my SG membership has been renewed now until the end of August 2006 - not too bad seeing as I'm only at 310 SC's so far! I've got a few more flights in the system already and would have been doing enough to crack 600 SC's anyway, but certainly happy to see it there now, means there'll definitely be no need to head off on an end of year SC chase!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
I just took a look at my account now, and my SG membership has been renewed now until the end of August 2006 - not too bad seeing as I'm only at 310 SC's so far! I've got a few more flights in the system already and would have been doing enough to crack 600 SC's anyway, but certainly happy to see it there now, means there'll definitely be no need to head off on an end of year SC chase!
I have passed the 600 SC threshold 11 days ago.

Currently, my summary show this:
Code:
Current Status:                                                       Gold 
Status reassessment will occur:                                31 Oct 2005 
Status credits earned from 01 Nov 2004:                                650 
Additional Status credits required by 31 Oct 2005 to attain Platinum:  750
So I guess my reassment will occur soon.

But definitly not early this year.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
.... but still have a dozen UCs to burn -- be very upset if they convert those to miles at 5000 miles/UC!!!! Presumably they would use the actual burn ratio if such a conversion ever occured
UC's:- If you don't use them you loose them. They expire 2 years after you earnt them. No conversion to miles if not used.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:22 am

I have a friend who recently made silver and has 680 credits with 20 to go and an expire for 30th june.
do u think he may get gold without doing the 2 flights or should I tell him he has to do the 2 flights. hes a bit busy so wont really want to do the flights.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:39 am

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
do u think he may get gold without doing the 2 flights or should I tell him he has to do the 2 flights .
Maybe it's just me but I've never really got any "free lunches" from QF. They renewed me to Plat 3 months early but I'd already done 2500 SCs.

If he wants to be sure of Gold, I'd say do the flights.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:13 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I have a friend who recently made silver and has 680 credits with 20 to go and an expire for 30th june.
do u think he may get gold without doing the 2 flights or should I tell him he has to do the 2 flights. hes a bit busy so wont really want to do the flights.
If he is busy he can always send a friend on the two flights under his name. I've done this before when I was too hungover to fly. It was just a day trip to MEL and return.

As posted above, I don't see QF as giving out too many free lunches so I would book. In fact I find all the above posts really summarize QF's inconsistant approach to renewals. I have friends that are 100 to 50 points off requalifying and then been downgraded, yet here there are people getting comped with 100's of sc shy of the published target and as they say, no real future bookings to warrant trhe status. I'm not angry about it just puzzled as to how they work it out because I can't

Last edited by GoldFlyer; Jun 22, 2005 at 3:19 am Reason: because I can
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
I'm sitting at DFW C6 for my flight to FLL. Hope they credit my F flight soonest. They/I have 2 days there, hope I'll be gold when flying so lounge access at LAX.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:33 am

I've not personally had any status renewed early, as I'm far too lowly. However my father has had his gold status comped for two years ( he has met half way between silver and gold both years). This year he was sent an email from QF to check on his progress, and I must admit from what I understand they bent over backwards to try and get him to reach qualifying again. They checked several times how much he would fly in the current period, but also how much he would fly in the following year. He basically told them no such chance, and they backed off. But they did repeatedly try and help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.