Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Fliar - only our hard working moderator of the decidedly off-topic Qantas Forum can really answer you of course. I am sure he had a reason. Maybe he was having a bad hair day. Or had a toothache. Or was bored. Or won Lotto. However it clearly is "very directly related to the forum, of a general nature" there seems little doubt. Or no-one would post, as has clearly happened in the Hilton one referenced.

You are quite new to FT, but FYI all kinds of things have for a while been "stickies" on the Qantas forum in the past. Threads about which Champagne they are now serving, dates and times for booze-ups and parties etc, etc. They come and go. Which is good. No other FT Forum does that, or anything like that. And never has. Nothing new here.

Speaking only for myself, this loose informality is one of the attractions of visiting the Qantas board ..... like Air Canada - it IS different.

Vive la difference. ^

And I have seen precious few posts over the years from those who do not enjoy that informal aspect. But as they say, you can't keep all of the people happy, all the time ...............

Glen
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:32 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ozstamps
You are quite new to FT

Compared to someone with 23,000 posts maybe yes.

BTW, I didn't say I wasn't pleased I had found this thread or didn't like its informality. Please don't put words into my mouth. I was merely questioning the reason for it becoming a sticky.

(*retreats into little corner*)

Yes, vive la difference, I'll drink to that. ^
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:19 am

Programs: QF SG, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, HH Gold
Further to the AMEX - Gold HH Card.

I also got a complimentry Gold HH card in the mail a few weeks ago. I have an AMEX Rewards Maximiser card with an annual spend of around 150K - 200K. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not?

Anyway, the card I got in the mail was also accompanied by a letter from AMEX and HH welcoming me to HH as a complimentry gold member. It didn't acknowledge my current HH (boring blue) membership and had a black printed "Member Since Jan 2005" and "Exp Date 31 Jan 2006". I rang HH about it and they said they would like to update my current membership to gold and send out a new card with my proper membership number and "Member since" date. It arrived yesterday. No black printing however, the normal embossed text.

Anyway, do you think I should worry about the Diamond card? It sounds pretty good considering my usual hotels (Sher MEL, Sher BNE) are now no longer Sheraton and not SPG. This must be the reason HH are hitting the market so hard, taking the opportunity to take a lot of SPG market share.

While I am on the subject of hotels; you want to know what ****s me?

Since 17 Nov last year I have spent 43 nights at Marriott hotels (Surfers Paradise, QLD and Phuket, Thailand). Not 1 single night/stay on my profile. Nada - Zip. I have just noticed it. They are SO hopeless....

Anyway enough beefing, preparing for a weekend of NRL action on the road..

PP
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:13 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Fliar
It makes me wonder about the process of creating these stickies.
I take suggestions from members regarding stickies, and that's the process.
Originally Posted by Fliar
Then again - if it gets more people to know about this interesting deal, then I guess it's made a useful contribution.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Originally Posted by Ozstamps
Maybe he was having a bad hair day. Or had a toothache. Or was bored. Or won Lotto. However it clearly is "very directly related to the forum, of a general nature" there seems little doubt.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:56 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
One short answer I might offer - Qantas miles can be accrued from all Hilton stays, as well as Hilton miles. ("Double Dipping").

Another short answer is outlined a few posts before yours. Seems very likely a tie-up with Qantas - probably a discounted (or free - too much to hope for?) Qantas Club membership etc may be offered to Diamond Club members based on a rather focused survey they sent out this week.
And another not-so-short answer ....

You and I (and probably others) have received complementary wine during Diamond Club stays, and I know I have made the most of the exec lounges during my Diamond Club stays. So I would humbly suggest that complementary wine, and lounge privileges makes this topic very relevant to the QF forum .
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NM - absolutely. ^

Hotels and I and bottles of Bubbly are synonymous. Here is a photo of one chilling in the snow 2 weeks back in Washington DC on our hotel balcony, after we missed our once-a-day plane in the "Blizzard"! Check out the pix of Bioluminescent Bay in Puerto Rico - it is really like you are radio-active!

Well as they say - "the proof is in the pudding" and members here clearly like the Diamond Club offer. Lis is mailing off 6 more member packs Monday. You can all buy her a drink(s) at OzFest I am sure, for her hard work.

I have 5 new ones here to be processed Monday. As we do these in twos, if anyone wants to round it up to 6, you'll be processed fast. (Maybe they all asked for it to be made a 'sticky', who knows? It was not me, I'll make that very clear.)

ozstamps at ozemail.com.au

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: some
(Maybe they all asked for it to be made a 'sticky', who knows? It was not me, I'll make that very clear.)
Let it go, man
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
I have 5 new ones here to be processed Monday. As we do these in twos, if anyone wants to round it up to 6, you'll be processed fast. (Maybe they all asked for it to be made a 'sticky', who knows? It was not me, I'll make that very clear.)
Wow! Go away for a few weeks and all this happens. ^

@:-) ozstamps, I'll send you an email.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:25 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Now to be known as Hilton Premium Club

Just received this email from Hilton Diamond Club:

Dear Mr QF WP,

As of the 14th February 2005, the Hilton Diamond Club will be known as the Hilton Premium Club.

Your membership pack, benefits and certificates are still valid for the duration of your membership.

Upon expiry of your membership, you will renew as a Hilton Premium Club.

Please be advised that the only change to the membership is the club's name.

If you have any concerns, please contact our Administration departments on Freecall:

1800 251 600
(select option 1)

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your ongoing support.

Kind regards,

Robin Watters
Area Director of Sales & Marketing
Hilton Australiasia
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:27 pm
NM

Now Called Hilton Premium Club

Now we all have to change the way we refer to the program.

From 14th Feb 2005 (today) the Hilton Diamond Club will be known as the Holton Premium Club. I guess there was too much confusion between Diamond Club and Hilton Honors Diamond status.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A couple of updates. A shipping hassle ex Diamond Club has plagued the 6 x FT'ers that Lis was to mail packs to direct I understand. All in hand now and thanks for patience of those folks - a snafu totally outside Lis control.

The folks up to and including Itsalongwaydown will be pretty pleased to hear that Membership rates increased as of 9am today I was advised - in the late afternoon! They wanted to charge the new rate to the current batch, but I protested we'd had no advance notice or warning, so they sort of backed off.

Those memberships will all be processed it seems at old cost, will advise when I check tomorrow. did not sound like much - about $15 a person I think, but it is all money.

Seems like a name change of the program is in the winds to 'broaden its appeal' - unquote. My hunch is that HH have complained about "Diamond Club" name being confusing to foreign staff as looking HH Diamond Members.

I spoke today with a guy whose title is Programme Manager, Sydney Hilton Diamond Club, and asked if all voucher packs will for SURE include the Sydney Hilton and he said: "OF COURSE - it is the flagship hotel in the entire program". I also put in writing to Admin Manger the same question, and reminded her of her written assurance to me on that.

It seems that the new deal will increase the $A55 a night offer by $10-$15 .... but not sure on the exact figure. Anyone with $55 printed on a voucher will have that honored I was advised. Again a plus for those who have already joined. I insisted that this current batch all get "old-skool vouchers" and he agreed and said they'd assemble them by hand as ongoing packs are all reprinted with "new deal", and new prices etc

More on that when I hear from them. Several folks have emailed me in recent weeks mulling over whether to join. If I hear from them in the next 18 hours I'll try and sneak them under the wire as "old skool" whom I'd forgotten to add to today's list. No promises whatsoever of course, but worth a try.

ozstamps at ozemail.com.au
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ha!

I was typing my long post and taking a phone call before I saw both NM and QF WP's posts.

Yep, confirms what Manager told me. And as I posted, agree with NM's reasoning as to the real reason they needed to re-badge. I asked the Manager guy direct on that, and he was evasive.

Asked him about the likely forthcoming Qantas tie-up and he would not comment.

He did tell me there was a bunch of Avis coupons in the the new packs like free one class upgrade etc (whoppeee!) and more leisure related stuff. I suspect anyone of use with Entertainment Books would match those offers tenfold.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:48 pm
NM

did not sound like much - about $15 a person I think, but it is all money.

It seems that the new deal will increase the $A55 a night offer by $10-$15
That is exactly what I illuded to in a previous post. This actually results in an increase of $25-$30 per membership in total. And if this is just to cover the additional cost of the Sydney Hilton, then that is not very helpful to people like me who are most unlikely to be using my vouchers or membership benefits at the Sydney Hilton! Looks like I will be subsidising the masses who want to fight for the voucher rates at Sydney .
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow.

That was fast!

10 minutes ago I clicked on their website and it was still called Hilton Diamond club.

Refreshed it just now and hey presto - it is now the Hilton Premium Club.

Annual rate has gone up $7 a person and yes the free room night is up $11, from $A55 to $A66. I gather their "twofer" membership discount is not so great in new plan.

http://www.memberbenefits.com.au/ate...vel/Hilton.htm

As you can see on website, Platinum colour Member card is still VERY classy looking, and assuming the familiar Hilton logo is also on the reverse as a bonus, will still be regarded with quite some awe and wonderment by USA and overseas check-in staff I can bet.

Website does clearly infer the discounts are valid at SYD Hilton when open, and does mention the rental car upgrade I posted about earlier, and the health club he told me is now a week pass (worth $149?!) not a daily as in 'old skool' packs. Also has in new pack spa treatment 'discounts' worth $150. (Probably a "twofer"?)

The $A120 a night anywhere coupon is now $A125. However using that for 2 nights at SYD will save you easily $200 a night is my guess off otherwise best rate. Or twice the pack cost savings on their own. Adding the guaranteed $A99 upgrade is also doable for special occasions etc.

No mention of the "Weekend Indulgence" vouchers in new kits. (Room, buffet dinner and breakfast for TWO at $A270) Seeing full evening buffet at Hilton will surely run at ~$A70 a head like Sheraton On Park, (maybe more) that was a very decent deal too for 2 persons. Full breakfasts run typically ~$A35 pp at top Hiltons.

All rates include GST taxes etc.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:05 pm
NM

The $A120 a night anywhere coupon is now $A125. However using that for 2 nights at SYD will save you easily $200 a night is my guess off otherwise best rate. Or twice the pack cost savings on their own. Adding the guaranteed $A99 upgrade is also doable for special occasions etc.
And outside Sydney, the $125 voucher is sometimes going to be more expensive than the 20% off best available rate! I just paid $124 per room per night in BNE using 20% discount, and PER is often less than that!

So for me, the opening of the opulent Sydney Hilton is just driving up the cost of the membership for non-Sydney stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.