Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle

Now to get them to honor these $270 dinner bed and breakkie packages.
I have 6 of these unused and the main reason I purchased another Diamond package as i though it would be a great deal.
Do you mean the "Weekend Indulgence Package"?

That does indeed mention a night's accom, "full buffet breakfast for 2" and "Buffett dinner for two".

"Where Buffett is not available a 2 course set menu will be offered in popular price restaurants"

So tinkybelle who has told you SYD wil not accept this cert? Do you have anything in writing you might share saying it is not accepted? given the large amount of misinformation that has come from the Hilton itself I tend not to take any verbal comment as meaningful (witness the "we do not accept the Suite Cert" fiction I just had over-turned") but wait for something in writing before I accept that is policy. And then challenge THAT.

My only thought is that maybe SYD does not have a "Buffett" dinner option anywhere, and indeed oher than "Glass" where else do that serve evening meals? Looked on website and nothing seemed to be there except bars and coffee shop.

Those vouchers were marked fully transferrable, and like you I bought multiple memberships as I felt sure they certainly be useable in SYD, imagining they'd have a weekend Buffett on a par or better than Sheraton on Park, and priced at around $60-$70 a person, hence dinner and breakfast for 2 basically covered the $270, meaning the accommodation was essentially "free". I plan of using mine, and if you have anything in writing that says they are NOT useable please post it here, and from whom it was from and when.

Last edited by ozstamps; Sep 2, 2005 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:36 pm

yes you are correct I was told by Sydney that they are not acceptable as the restaurant does not have buffet. I have not tried since as i have had no reason to but certainly ahve not seen it posted here where anyone has used it in Sydney.
So maybe premium club can sort that one out too!!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
So tinkybelle (witness the "we do not accept the Suite Cert" fiction I just had over-turned") but wait for something in writing before I accept that is policy. And then challenge THAT.
Firstly the we do not accept suite certs was not fiction but fact.
I had mine finally accepted weeks ago after writing to management.
They had already sorted that one out then- so it seems you are not in the recent loop on that one!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinkybelle

yes you are correct I was told by Sydney that they are not acceptable as the restaurant does not have buffet. I have not tried since as i have had no reason to but certainly ahve not seen it posted here where anyone has used it in Sydney.

I tend to never accept anything verbally told to me as being "correct" from airlines or hotel phone staffers if I know I am better informed than the staffer. And the fact no-one on FT has not posted it has occurred does NOT mean it is not possible.

I'd like to see things in WRITING.

So as per my previous post, did anyone advise you in WRITING that a 2 course set menu was not available at "glass"? Bit hard/unfair to continually criticise them if no-one has given you a WRITTEN note that what your certificate clearly promises you is not possible.

They told me verbally that the Suite deal was not offered at SYD, and I demonstrated to them in writing that they were mistaken - and they subsequently honored it last night. For me, and for anyone else who now wants one at $110 inc tax - subject to room availability of course. Which is indeed limited as I found out talking to desk -- only 32 and 33 Floors seem possible - rooms 6 (Harbour side!) and 25 on each floor right now.

This below is what the cert says, and this is what they will honour I am sure - if you politely stand your ground -

"Where Buffett is not available a 2 course set menu will be offered in popular price restaurants"

At SYD Hilton I triple checked - there curiously is only ONE restaurant in the entire place. It is "glass" therefore that is the one they need to offer it in. Not our fault they chose not to have a mid price restaurant - in fact I am amazed they do not, as "glass" is not terribly cheap, and clearly too formal/pricey for many guests needs for casual Hotel dining. (Mains typically $30's mark but the lowest priced domestic bubbly, which is all we drink, runs about $45-$50 a bottle, and we usually order a couple of bottles.)

The Old Hilton had 3 places for meals - San Francisco Grill was top of the tree, but the America's Cup Bar offered decent food, and there was a more formal place too in between the two - "The Market Place". We checked at Marble Bar when having a drink and no sign of any food there. Only very basic Cafe Cino, the surprisingly small espresso bar at street level as you walk in doors, and a "GAB" bar upstairs serving Tapas and bar snacks etc.

We tried to book "glass" for dinner last night - did not mention any Certs or deals - just asked to see if there was space at ANY time.

NIET.

We had the friendly concierge at the Executive Lounge ask them, and she really was getting the "Nope 100% full" response, it was obvious that was the deal. for ANY time of evening. In fact she had a guest ask for her booking to move from 7pm to 9pm in same call. So cheekily asked them "does that mean we can squeeze these 2 guests in at 7pm? and also got an NIET.

We had breakfast in "glass" this morning. Even at 10.45am the place was jam-packed - amazing. It gets so full for breakfast on weekends they usually refuse admittance to non guests they told me!

Probably the most comprehensive buffet breakfast I've seen anywhere on earth, and that covers a few 100 top rated hotels by now. ^ ^

It is an expensive breakfast ($76 for 2) which makes the "Weekend Indulgence Package" at $290 looks like a decent deal, as a "glass" 2 course dinner would I am sure run $120 or so at their usual prices, so adding the 2 together is a great deal when a room etc is involved as well.

The clear problem seems to be availability at "glass" I am sure, re using any kind of voucher or Cert in there. We are likely back there in a couple weeks, so I'll try booking ahead this time.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just typed up a lonnnnnnng report on our stay at SYD Hilton yesterday if anyone is interested in all the detail you will EVER need to know.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...07#post4551207

Please add your comments to the tale.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:25 am

Hi all....first post

I'd be interested in joining up as I have a few trips away coming up and would like to spend a night at the Hilton in Sydney for my girlfriends birthday....is it worth it...there seems to be a few hassles on the Sydney side of things

Cheers

Dave
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:29 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Matau, welcome to FT, we'll go gentle on you

I was tempted to try it, but think I'll be waiting until next year, when all the problems are ironed out (plus, I'm trying to get SPG Platinum and Sydney is very helpful in that regard).

As others have posted (and I fully concur), the Westin and Sheraton on the Park are still better value for $ and bigger rooms than the Hilton. The service might be good at the Hilton (where thy are trying to overcompensate for the detractions), but that's not enough for me to change.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Matau .. we have no idea of your likely use patterns and so forth.

For a ~$200 a membership I have got a lot more than my value from it now SYD has opened. And will get a lot more now it has. Everyone's thoughts will vary on this of course.

Apart from the 50% off dining for 2 your card gets you anywhere, these things are worth big bucks to most folks:

http://www.memberbenefits.com.au/ate...vel/Hilton.htm

Join the exclusive Hilton Premium Club membership today and you will receive:

1 x $66 Flat Rate Certificate Redeemable at all participating Hilton hotels in Australia & New Zealand. By using this one certificate, you would have already recouped the actual membership cost.

2 x Exclusive Rate Certificates ($125 per night) Redeemable at all participating Hilton hotels in Australia & New Zealand. Entitles you to a flat rate $125 per night in a Hilton deluxe room. Fully transferable to family, friends or colleagues within Australia.

6 x 50% Off Accommodation Certificates 50% discount on accommodation at participating Hilton hotels in Australia and New Zealand. Each Certificate allows up to 4 consecutive nights accommodation, effectively 24 nights at half price. Fully transferable to family, friends, and business associates within Australia.

2 x $99 Upgrade to a Hilton Junior Suite Certificate Available for the duration of your stay at participating Hilton hotels in Australia & New Zealand. Based on a $99 upgrade per night. (Save up to $400 per night!) Fully transferable to family, friends or colleagues within Australia.

2 x Member for a Stay Certificates Make someone's day and transfer your membership benefits where they can receive 20% off any published or promotional accommodation rates, 20% off room charge backs and exclusive dining discounts. Transfer to family, friends or colleagues within Australia. Great for gifts.

1 x AVIS Free Upgrade Simply rent a Group A through to Group D and you will receive a one-class upgrade. You will also receive a minimum of 30% off standard rack rates (applies to car groups only). Plus, receive a complimentary holiday booklet (valued at over $300) offering discounts on major tourist attractions.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, that scared Matau off it seems.

Glen
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:40 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by perthite
And suddenly there was clarity in where I might be using some of these certificates

(But just how accurate are Hilton at estimating when something will open?)

HILTON MARGARET RIVER RESORT & SPA, AUSTRALIA - Q1, 2006
Now they are saying Q1, 2007. Seems to be following a trend.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I was hoping it was going to open very early in 2006, soI could use that as a matress run as I'm over in PER in mid Jan 06 for a Conference Tues-Fri, thoughts of spending the weekend down in Margaret River (purely getting over the Conference, you understand ) then come back for a couple more nights at Parmelia Hilton.

That's enough to start turning me to really head for SPG Platinum.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Question Targeted Promotion Problem

Originally Posted by HHonors Email
Hilton HHonors® Account Number: ....

Dear Mr serfty,

Book your stays online
and earn up to 10,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points

Booking online is fast, easy, and now, it's more rewarding than ever!

Simply make your reservations on hiltonfamily.com between 9 September and 31 December 2005 and complete your stays before 31 December 2005.
It goes on to state: 1st stay gets 1000, 2nd Stay adds 1500, 3rd Stay gets another 2500 and the 4th brings it to 10000 with another 5000.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can book on line and still get my 20% HPC discount?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:35 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
It goes on to state: 1st stay gets 1000, 2nd Stay adds 1500, 3rd Stay gets another 2500 and the 4th brings it to 10000 with another 5000.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can book on line and still get my 20% HPC discount?
Why not try making to the booking on-line, then call the HPC line and ask them to apply the discount to your current booking. If they won't do it, then you can always cancel the reservation on-line at no cost.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:21 am

Hmmm, somehow serfty I don't think you'll be able to get both bites of the cherry.

I've got a couple of bookings in the system (for our USA trip just before year end) that I'm going to cancel and re-reserve under this promo. Easy points...
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NM
Why not try making to the booking on-line, then call the HPC line and ask them to apply the discount to your current booking. If they won't do it, then you can always cancel the reservation on-line at no cost.
Originally Posted by QF WP
Hmmm, somehow serfty I don't think you'll be able to get both bites of the cherry.

I've got a couple of bookings in the system (for our USA trip just before year end) that I'm going to cancel and re-reserve under this promo. Easy points...
Thanks for the advice Guys. ^

NM, that's what I am thinking of doing; I was wondering if anyone has had any success doing this.

QF WP, I've already done that for a NRT booking next month ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.