Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Could interest some folks here - Hilton "Diamond Club" for ~ $A200 a year

Closed Thread

Old Jan 16, 05, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
OK, emails all just sent, along with my "tried and proven" tip that worked for me, that should added a 10% benefit to all memberships signed up using it. Don't we all just love loopholes on FlyerTalk.

Just as an aside, I drove past the Sydney Hilton on the weekend and is still looks like a serious war zone behind all the builder hoardings.

If that place is going to be open for business during "Quarter 1, 2005" I am the Pope.

There is a big hoarding sign that has been there for ages saying something like:

"GRAND OPENING 2004"

And the lazy sods have gone and got a piece of wood not the right size or shape, and using right font, and placed a 5 over the 4. Talk about amateur hour.

Even the head lady of Diamond Club had seen this on the weekend, and said she was embarassed so see how sloppily they were handling the opening date announcements.
Old Jan 17, 05, 11:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
The little folder for keycards at aussie Hiltons still says Sydney opening 2004.
Old Jan 17, 05, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Is this related to anything QF? Can you still get QF points for discounted stays?
Old Jan 17, 05, 5:44 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is this related to anything QF? Can you still get QF points for discounted stays?
The cheap voiucher stays (the $55 and $120 vouchers) are not supposed to qualify for airline or HHonors points. However, I am sure I have been awarded points for these on occasions. My last stay was using one $55 voucher and one $120 voucher for two rooms for a single night. I was awarded over 6000 HH points for the say. Similar on my previous Diamond Club voucher stays.

All stays, even HH award stays, earn stay and night credits towards HH status.

Even on the $55 voucher stays, be sure to let them know your HH membership number at the time of making the reservation and you should get all normal HH benefits. I have stayed on exec floor using a free sytay voucher when Diamond Club used to include them.
Old Jan 17, 05, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Can you still get QF points for discounted stays?
Hilton allows anyone to "double dip". Has done for decades. i.e. if you get HH miles you will also get airlines miles in the program you nominate on your account. (But I think you need to ensure it IS nominated thus on your account profile.) I thought everyone here knew that?

Qantas is a full airline partner in the Double Dipping deal:

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors.../airline.jhtml

Heck, if it was not, this thread would be OFF TOPIC, and that would never be allowable on the Qantas forum, we all realise that.
Old Jan 17, 05, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

of course drinks are always on topic in QF forum, so this thread qualifies

- bubbly to referrer
- AFAIK diamond club also gets discount on drink (and food) at hiltons (conditions apply)
Old Jan 17, 05, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

of course drinks are always on topic in QF forum, so this thread qualifies

- bubbly to referrer

- AFAIK diamond club also gets discount on drink (and food) at Hiltons (conditions apply)
Of course.

Yes, in fact, each package comes with several "Member For A Stay" guest cards you can give to ANYONE - fully transferrable - which (along with your Diamond Club card) offer 20% off food AND beverages charged to any Hilton room account in Aust and NZ. (Even room service.) And these also offer all kinds of other Hilton dining discount - like 2 for 1 when 2 dine together etc.

I know the similar Starwood card does this, and buffets at SYD Four Points is $70. That card offers a very affordable buffet at $35 a head, groaning with prawns,and lobster and oysters and roasts etc. I feel sure Hilton will have the same type of Buffet.

So yes DRINKING Hahn Premiums (or bubbly) will certainly earn folks QANTAS miles.
Old Jan 17, 05, 11:54 pm
NM

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I know the similar Starwood card does this, and buffets at SYD Four Points is $70. That card offers a very affordable buffet at $35 a head, groaning with prawns,and lobster and oysters and roasts etc. I feel sure Hilton will have the same type of Buffet.
The buffet at the Brisbane Hilton is similar to your description, only exchange lobster for Morton Bay Bugs - yum. And I think it is $50 a head normally, but may be more on Friday/Saturday nights. But great value for 2 people dining! Last time we ate there, Mrs NM was heavily pregnant so not able to get full value from the buffet. So she enjoyed an entre and a desert while I made a large dent in the seafood and desert buffets . They also have a wine deal where you pay a fixed amount and help yourself to a wide selection of wines. But I had already enjoyed several pre-dinner drinks at the exec lounge so decided to just have a HP and water with my buffet.

BUT, be aware that you don't earn points (HH points or QF FF points) on meals under the Diamond Club discount deal. To get the Diamond Club discount you have to pay for the meal at the restaurant, not bill it to your room. Anything billed to the room only gets the standard Diamond Club 20% discount, while 2 people dining get 50% discount under Diamond Club.
Old Jan 18, 05, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NM - Yes the $70 Starwood Buffett was for Saturday, and you are more than likely correct it is a little less on weekdays. Possibly BNE price is a tad less than Syd on either day too. (Half your luck!) Half off is a great deal on $70! And those major hotel Buffets are to die for. For Lynne's 50th birthday next month we are having a night in SYD with 10 friends.

I have booked the 5 suites (with miles!) and I need to round up 5 x Starwood Dining cards so we can get the 50% off on 5 meals. I have 3 already from friends. Anyone with one that is valid to Feb. and might be able to loan it to me late next month for the night I'd appreciate hearing from. No-one ever uses all the slots allowed for on those.

Originally Posted by NM

BUT, be aware that you don't earn points (HH points or QF FF points) on meals under the Diamond Club discount deal. To get the Diamond Club discount you have to pay for the meal at the restaurant, not bill it to your room. Anything billed to the room only gets the standard Diamond Club 20% discount, while 2 people dining get 50% discount under Diamond Club.
Yes, I read that when making the post above. I was addressing the food and beverage point of Kiwi Flyer so we could keep this thread OT.

And that DOES attract a 20% discount when charged to anyone's room (even with a guest card) and yes that DOES also earn Qantas points if it earns Hilton points.

Agree the 50%, for 2 and 25% off for 4 dining, etc needs to be settled with a credit card even if you are a guest. Yes you get the stated discount, no you can't get 50% off by charging to your room, as you point out.

However depends on the number. 4 persons or more on this basis is only 20% off food bill, and I can't see on that basis why you wouldn't charge it to room and get 20% if you were a guest. (And all the miles!)

But as always I might be wrong.
Old Jan 18, 05, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Further on the Double Dipping for airline (including Qantas) points, many folks do NOT go into their Hilton "Preffered Partner" setting and elect to add your favourite airline(s). OTHERWISE you are likely to get as default a few more Hilton points, that I for one need like a hole in the head. (3rd option below)

Option TWO gives you 500 airline miles PER stay (plus HH points) that I mentally count as about $A15 "free" (US 2˘ a mile) and on a $69 stay etc that is a real saving.

And better still you can chop and change all day. I have 4 airline accounts in there. If I need a few miles to keep a NW, CO or AA account active, I divert these via 2 minutes on web making that the nominated account.

--------------------------------

Please choose your Double Dip® Earnings Style from these three options:

HHonors Points and Variable Miles: 10 HHonors Base points + 1 airline mile per eligible U.S. dollar spent*

HHonors Points and Fixed Miles: 10 HHonors Base points per eligible U.S. dollar spent + 500 miles per stay (100 miles per stay at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites® and Scandic hotels)

HHonors Points and HHonors Points: 10 HHonors Base points + 5 bonus points per eligible U.S. dollar spent

Please check here if you would like a confirmation e-mail.

*Available with participating airline partners only. Please note if you have currently selected HHonors Points and Fixed Miles inside your HHonors Account Profile as your Earnings Style and your current Preferred Airline Partner participates in the HHonors Points and Variable Miles option, your Earnings Style will be defaulted to HHonors Points and Variable Miles beginning July 1, 2004 unless you select a different option.

If your Preferred Airline Partner does not participate in the HHonors Points and Variable Miles Earnings Style, your Earnings Style will remain as HHonors Points and Fixed Miles.

If you currently have the HHonors Points and HHonors Points Earnings Style selected inside your HHonors Account Profile and you do not select an alternative Earnings Style, your Earnings Style will remain as HHonors Points and HHonors Points.
Old Jan 18, 05, 1:30 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Iam really surprised that th Hilton is still NOT opened (Given it is only a Refurbishment). During this time of refurb, the World Tower (75 levels) and the Lattitude (EY Building) = 56 Level have being completed.

Something is definitely wrong with Leighton!

Anyway I am looking forward to a new place to buffet dine as I am starting to get sick of the Sheraton and Westin for Buffets (Even the Intercont is starting to get bored) Also note that the Shangri La Buffet is the worst value in town so please avoid it at all cost!

Still remember my high school days where the school formal was held at the Hilton.
Old Jan 18, 05, 4:01 am
NM

I don't earn any QF points for my Hilton stays. I have enough QF points from other sources (the novel method of flying, as well as credit cards). Well, I suppose I do earn some from paying on the CC .

I did really well out a recent stay near ORD. Booked a Tripple Points promotion rate for a 3 night stay. With the tripple points deal, plus Diamond 50% base point bonus, plus my double-dip selection for 50% base points, I actually earned, and I was on a targeted tripple points email promotion as well.

So for my US$586 spend, I earned over 35,000 HH points , plus the 780 Diners Club points that will convert to 780 QF points when I need them . I thought that was a pretty good deal. On that two-week trip I earned almost 90K HH points (and 60K QF points).
Old Jan 18, 05, 4:28 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I had totally ignored this thread until I received in the post today a letter from HH with a shiny new gold card with my name on it (not requested but AMEX thought I should have one anyway). Something about stay 4 nights by end March 05 and get 20,000 bonus points. Not sure if this is my scene yet. But then again my life changed after 2 events: (1) I turned left upon entering a 744, and (2) getting a seat on BA1 and BA2 and not having to pay for it.
Old Jan 18, 05, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

og - yes it is like drugs - give folks a free sample and they are often hooked for life.

Now with a Gold card, even a freebie that HH hand out quite a bit, you get a pretty much instant upgrade no matter what your rate, and usually access to club floor to boot even on cheap rates. Some of those have been as nice to me as Qantas Clubs.

I stayed in Seattle in Nov and Dec several times. All booked via Priceline as I knew I'd get Doubletree. Gold card works even on that - great room upgrades, and they allowed me a 5pm check-out one evening. On a $30 or whatever room.

I was in one in Nairobi Hilton last year, that was like a private club and the few guests would booze and eat on on until midnight.

And as NM points out above, the points you can get via one stay are pretty amazing via the double and triple miles deals.

Right now in Aust/NZ, being affiliated with Hilton is smarter than Starwood, as they are losing (or have already lost, with main MEL proprerty) several Hotels.

This card came from Amex or from Hilton? And what was expiry on it out of interest - have not heard of that mailing.
Old Jan 18, 05, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Sheraton Auckland also gone - now Langham. Interesting that NZ quick to add Langham as hotel partner.

If the Amex offer was anything like the various ones via airline status, will expire Sept (although last year many folk got this extended to the more usual April following year).

Search this Thread