Infant ticket when flying on award

Old Nov 1, 2002, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Infant ticket when flying on award

Hi ,

my first post in the Qantas forum

I was thinking of transfering my SPG points but was wondering how Qantas handled infants tickets when parents are flying on a qantas or partner award ticket ? Is it like other
airlines where they let you pay 10% of the full coach fare even if the pax is on an award ticket. Has anyone done this ?

Here's an interesting tidbit of information for those kind enough to read my post. The company I work for is working with Qantas on a proposal to implement new S/W and part of the proposal is to overhaul the systems handling the FF programs. I have some documents from Qantas which have provided some interesting insight into the programs.
If this deal materializes I'll post more information. Hopefully I get to lead this !
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:09 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sunil:
... was wondering how Qantas handled infants tickets when parents are flying on a qantas or partner award ticket ? Is it like other airlines where they let you pay 10% of the full coach fare even if the pax is on an award ticket. </font>
10.2 Flight Awards - Children/Infants, Advance Booking, Blackouts

10.2.1 Children aged 2 years or over (International, Australian and New Zealand Domestic routes) will be charged the full adult Award Point level for any Flight Award as set out in the Benefits Guidebook and updated from time to time.

10.2.2 Infants under 2 years (International, Australian and New Zealand Domestic routes) and not occupying a seat, travel free (and without the need to redeem Points) as long as the accompanying adult is travelling on a Flight Award ticket. There is a limit of one infant per adult Flight Award traveller.

------------------
kpc
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:31 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kpc:
10.2.2 Infants under 2 years(International, Australian and New Zealand Domestic routes) and not occupying a seat, travel free (and without the need to redeem Points) as long as the accompanying adult is travelling on a Flight Award ticket. There is a limit of one infant per adult Flight Award traveller.</font>
Curious, because I was recently charged 20,000 points to include our 1.99 year old on an award ticket from BNE-LHR in J...

Might chase this one up!
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:57 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Many years ago (must be 9 years ago now), my wife flew J on an award ticket to AKL with our eldest son, who was our only at the time and 18 months old, and we had to pay additional points for him to travel (no assigned seat). This was explained to me at the time as being a surcharge for an infant in J. If travelling in Y there would not have been a surcharge.

But that was a long time ago, so the rules may have changed since then. There was no option to pay the surcharge in cash, just in points. Can't remember exactly how many points was charged. But the award was on a Air NZ flight, so that shows how long ago it was!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
I've redeemed AS biz class awards on QF LAX-SYD-LAX in February. Both of us adults redeemed AS FF miles, and we're taking along our 1 year-old. Looking through the old threads in this forum, it looks like people have either:
- Redeemed 10% of the award points for infant (plus taxes),
- or paid taxes only

Has anyone traveled with an infant on an award more recently? QF Reservations tells me that I should pay 10% of full fare - for a total of ~ $US900.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:47 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by smantl01
Has anyone traveled with an infant on an award more recently? QF Reservations tells me that I should pay 10% of full fare - for a total of ~ $US900.

Thoughts?
The cost of awards is different - QF doesn't charge for the infant when using QF miles, but you may find a different treatment for CO or AS awards.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by willyroo
The cost of awards is different - QF doesn't charge for the infant when using QF miles, but you may find a different treatment for CO or AS awards.
Just called AS Partner Desk...they swear that the only option I have is to pay 10% of full J. ARGH!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:06 am

bump.........
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:11 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
When using Qantas miles to book a BA ticket I did not need any additional miles for infant under 2 years. I only had to pay taxes for the child.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.