Search

Qantas to go AVOD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:59 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Qantas to go AVOD

I can't find any further refernece to this appart from this one on another board.

If it is true, it is great news. A330's first (later this year) and 744's starting May 2005.

Can anyone confirm and perhaps post an on-line reference to the actual media announcement? Nothing yet on the QF site, although they usually take a few days to post media announcements. This one didn't make the ASX announcements either.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Given the time it seemed to take to get the current IFE, if this link is true, can we expect this to be fully installed by 2008 perhaps?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:08 pm
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Given the time it seemed to take to get the current IFE, if this link is true, can we expect this to be fully installed by 2008 perhaps?
True to QF technology upgrade announcements . And just in time for the next upgrade .
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:43 pm

Programs: QF WP
When I was playing around with the IFE on an a333 MEL-PER it struck me that the system was very much set up as if it should be AVOD (digital delivery, interactive menus etc.) So perhaps in this case it is a software rather than hardware upgrade so could happen fairly quickly.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by BAe 146
When I was playing around with the IFE on an a333 MEL-PER it struck me that the system was very much set up as if it should be AVOD (digital delivery, interactive menus etc.) So perhaps in this case it is a software rather than hardware upgrade so could happen fairly quickly.
Yes, you are right BAe 146. The A333 IFE and 744 IFE is ready for AVOD all it requires is a software upgrade.

Qantas Airways Selects Rockwell Collins Inflight Entertainment

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (March 30, 2000) - Qantas Airways has selected Rockwell Collins' state-of-the-art Total Entertainment System (TES) to provide passengers with unprecedented access to inflight programming selections. Qantas' fleet of international long haul Boeing 747-400s will be equipped beginning in April 2001.

"The Total Entertainment System selected by Qantas offers a diverse range of entertainment options including access to intranet web sites and games, " said Neal Keating, vice president and general manager of Rockwell Collins Passenger Systems. "These features will be on-demand for all classes and accessed through seatback video screens in economy class, and with larger individual screens for first and business class passengers."

Qantas has ordered the system with provisions for future installation of Audio/Video On Demand (AVOD), which streams the audio and video directly to individual seats, allowing passengers complete control of video programming, and for installation of passenger email capabilities.

Rockwell Collins TES is also flying on Air France, Airtours, American, British Airways, Delta, Japan Airlines, LanChile, TAM and Thai airlines. Rockwell Collins, with headquarters in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, designs, produces, markets and supports communication and aviation electronics for commercial, military and government customers. The business employs approximately 14,000 people worldwide.

Rockwell is a $7 billion electronic controls and communications company with global leadership positions in industrial automation, avionics and communications, and electronic commerce. The company employs approximately 40,000 people at more than 450 locations serving customers in more than 80 countries.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:19 am
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfflyer
Yes, you are right BAe 146. The A333 IFE and 744 IFE is ready for AVOD all it requires is a software upgrade.
I believe the 744's at least will need a hardware upgrade to replace the milti tape units (in the CSD's office) with the digital storage to support AVOD. But the delivery, screens and controls should all be capable.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
70 movie and 300 audio channels on QF from January!

i just had a look at http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...333?lk=promoau
and it says the following

Audio and video on demand (AVOD)

With audio and video on demand (AVOD)* you can select up to 70 movies and TV selections and 300 audio albums. Plus you have total control - start, stop, pause, fast forward and rewind programs at your leisure.

*AVOD will be progressively introduced across the A330-300 International fleet from January 2005.

It's not clear when the 747s are being done.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by da.....L
you can select up to 70 movies and TV selections and 300 audio albums. Plus you have total control - start, stop, pause, fast forward and rewind programs at your leisure.
Nice to see QF catching up to SQ after so many years ...

It has been a little embarrassing to hear the Purser give his/her big pep talk at the beginning of the flight about their "award winning entertainment system".

Anyone know if they plan to switch on AVOD whilst the aircraft is still on the ground? That's one of the things I love about SQ, the entertainment usually rolls during taxi.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by DI542
Nice to see QF catching up to SQ after so many years ...
QF have ALWAYS been conservative in this regard, preferring to let other carriers work through all the problems and bugs before they introduce it themselves. Witness this with the introduction of PTV's in WHY, flat beds in J, and now with AVOD.

Why sort through problems yourself - with the consequent PR disaster when things don't work - when you can get another airline to do it all for you?

It has been a little embarrassing to hear the Purser give his/her big pep talk at the beginning of the flight about their "award winning entertainment system".
And it IS award winning. You show me anywhere else in the world where you get the QUALITY of QF's IFE on a short sector like SYD-CBR?

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:32 am
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta
Why sort through problems yourself - with the consequent PR disaster when things don't work - when you can get another airline to do it all for you?
Especially when they can can do such a great job of PR disasters when it comes to announcing their slow schedule of catch-up "enhancements".
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:53 am

You show me anywhere else in the world where you get the QUALITY of QF's IFE on a short sector like SYD-CBR?
Thanks Dave ... actually I can live without FTE from SYD-CBR, it's the 10 hour legs when you don't actually get to start a movie until 3 hours in that I find frustrating!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:58 am
Suspended

I really enjoyed the quality of Qantas' IFE when i flew last year - roll on Kath & Kim!

Now, with AVOD, I can brooooooooooooouuuuuuuuse for movies throughout my journey!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
My wife got an information card in the mail from Qantas today (strangely I didn't get one - she's NB, I'm WP).

Front cover "Our new A330-300s to Hong Kong now have views from ever seat"

Inside cover "Introducing our A330-300 personal inflight entertainment"

Some key quotes:

"... personalise your view from 18 video and 16 audio channels on your own seat back screen"

"From January 2005, we'll be progressively instaling 'Audio and Video on Demand' in our international fleet with up to 300 audio albumbs, plus up to 70 movie and TV selections to choose from, all with the clarity of digital sound."
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:14 am

QF have ALWAYS been conservative in this regard, preferring to let other carriers work through all the problems and bugs before they introduce it themselves.
It's not that I want the last word on this .... but:

QF187 yesterday (5th) departed about 90 minutes late and then, to add insult to injury, this A330 with skybeds (1) Had the November movies still loaded in the IFE system despite having December programs, and (2) It wasn't much good anyway because it kept hanging. I lost count of the number of times they restarted because I gave up and watched a DVD on my laptop. Thank heavens they have in-seat AC now!

Still wondering if the extra 5000 points I got from the status bonus versus flying CX were worth it
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Talking

Sime, is this another target marketing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.