Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas to go AVOD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:17 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I note that the QF website now says that the rollout of AVOD is from February 2005. I'm assuming that this will be available in all classes, rather than CX's stingy approach of only offering it to J and F? And any bets on how long it will take them to roll it out - what would my chances of getting AVOD be on SYD-HKG flights at easter, I wonder?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mad_atta
And any bets on how long it will take them to roll it out - what would my chances of getting AVOD be on SYD-HKG flights at easter, I wonder?
Is AVOD on all the 330s? It certainly was on my 330-operated SYD-HKG in December.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:42 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Guys,

Sorry to spoil you fun, but QF is only having VOD on their A333 but anyway....

mad_atta, you are correct in assuming thay VOD would be available in ALL classes, and this will bring them a better competitive edge than CX on the HK-Aus route.

AFAIK, it shouldn't take too long to upgrade an aircraft to VOD since the hardware is there (given the QF IFE system was designed to handle AVOD in the future), it just needs some updating of the software. So it shouldn't take too long....

But then, I would not have my hopes high as I think they still have some reliability issue with the A333 as evident by the very late depature of QF 83 from MEL to HKG on the 25th (it left at 04:14 am on the 26th instead of 23:55).
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:42 am

[deleted] due to double posting

Last edited by RickyT; Jan 27, 2005 at 7:44 am Reason: Deleted due to double posting
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:43 am

[deleted] due to triple posting

Last edited by RickyT; Jan 27, 2005 at 9:18 pm Reason: Deleted due to triple posting and fix up my spelling
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by RickyT
[deleted] due to tripe posting
tripe posting? that would disqualify a large number of posters on some of the other boards ...
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yeah, can't have people being able to post tripe all the time
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
That would just be too offal
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:57 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is AVOD on all the 330s? It certainly was on my 330-operated SYD-HKG in December.
The upgraded systems will commence installation in the A330-300 from Feb 2005. In december it would have been the standard IFE system similar to that used in the 747-400's for several years now.

The new system will have 20 VOD movie channels, 50 VOD TV channels, 20 Q-Radio channels, and 10 interactive games.

Here is a brochure from Rockwell Collins about their system which is installed in the QF fleet.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Are you sure?!?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:16 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

That would just be too offal
Originally Posted by aura
tripe posting? that would disqualify a large number of posters on some of the other boards ...
Ahh...yes, I know this sudden lapse of concentration would cost me dearly

The reason for this triple posting can be attributed to the sudden 'slowness' of my cable connection, thus in a moment of frustration clicked the submit reply thrice. Also, pardon my hasty editing. (I was tired and did not notice it)

Oh... P.S Willyroo, please don't ban me for TRIPLE posting.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by NM
The upgraded systems will commence installation in the A330-300 from Feb 2005. In december it would have been the standard IFE system similar to that used in the 747-400's for several years now.

The new system will have 20 VOD movie channels, 50 VOD TV channels, 20 Q-Radio channels, and 10 interactive games.
Thanks - I'm pretty sure we didn't have as many channels as that.

But I didn't know that the 744s had any on-demand capability. It was quite fun being able to start the movie whenever I wanted, and pause it - and best of all to fast forward when I had to change seats when the **** box gave up at mine.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by RickyT
The reason for this triple posting can be attributed to the sudden 'slowness' of my cable connection, ....
Maybe not just your cable connection. FT seems to be either slow or glacial more than moderate or fast of late.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:00 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Thanks - I'm pretty sure we didn't have as many channels as that.

But I didn't know that the 744s had any on-demand capability. It was quite fun being able to start the movie whenever I wanted, and pause it - and best of all to fast forward when I had to change seats when the **** box gave up at mine.
Hmm, if you could start and pause the movie as you wanted, then it is on-demand, and that is not supposed to be installed in the A330's until later this month. Perhaps the first was a ahead of schedule? or they were testing the upgraded system.

The system installed in the A330-300's is VOD-ready and just needs a software upgrade apparently. The system on the 744's needs a hardware upgrade as well to bring it into line with the latest installed on the A333's. No 744's are VOD capable yet. They will commence upgrade in about May. Of course the F seats on 744's have had video tape players for some time, so they can be considered VOD I suppose.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
Ooooooo AVOD!

I'm a self-proclaimed AVOD addict

I'm on QF1 BKK-LHR in F in early June on a RTW...

What are the odds this route will have AVOD by then, I'm assuming this will be one of the first to get AVOD (but then you know what they say about assuming )!

In case they don't have it (which will be real rough ), does the QF seat have a High8 slot as well?

Also, QF describes some sort of unique cabin lighting system on their J and F class cabins. Is this ALA EK or is it basically just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.