Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 status points needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:11 am
Original Poster

50 status points needed

Suggestions to earn 50 status points the cheapest way possible out of Perth?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:20 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by shyguy
Suggestions to earn 50 status points the cheapest way possible out of Perth?
2 red-e-deals to adelaide?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:39 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Perth -> Adelaide -> Melbourne -> Perth might be cheaper.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:49 pm

Do you have any specific dates for your travel?
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Just need the 50 points prior to 31 Oct 04.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:56 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Finding the cheapest routing

I suddenly became inspired to write a program that will search for the cheapest domestic mileage run given an origin and a desired number of status credits. Hopefully I'll have a working version tomorrow evening (Aug 18), then I'll post an answer to your question.

This program could be useful to many people around here...
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:27 pm

The Black Art of combining Travel with Software

StevePER,
sounds like a great idea. I would be more than happy to be a "Beta" pilot.
The only thing I would like to see in the programme is the double sc's with every free upgrade button.
Cheers
Iain
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by IainF
StevePER,
sounds like a great idea. I would be more than happy to be a "Beta" pilot.
The only thing I would like to see in the programme is the double sc's with every free upgrade button.
It's still very early days, but I'll probably end up making it web-based. Thankfully the Qantas red-e-deals pages are quite easy to parse. So far the hardest part has been working out the status credits for each red-e-deal - I'll probably ask for some help with that later. Once the basics are done, I can add your double SCs button (!), and other features that might be useful.

Steve
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Sounds like it'll be a fantastic piece of software, a real timesaver for when those last SC's need to be scraped together. Look forward to seeing a beta version in action! (and with the new qualification year about to start for me it's always good to start filling up the balance nice and early ).
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:15 am

And the winner is...

From every red-e-deal listed on the Qantas website, my software tells me the cheapest 50 status credits from Perth is PER-ADL-MEL-PER, costing $486. In comparison, the cheapest 50 from Sydney is SYD-MEL-ADL-BNE-SYD, costing $399.

Steve
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:03 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Looks pretty promising there so far! A question about the software, can it take into account multiple segment flights? For PER-ADL-MEL for instance it's cheaper to book it when it's booked as one ticket (so a search for PER-MEL will also return PER-ADL-MEL as a result) instead manually selecting both legs as two separate bookings (saves $10 or so in this instance).
Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
Looks pretty promising there so far! A question about the software, can it take into account multiple segment flights? For PER-ADL-MEL for instance it's cheaper to book it when it's booked as one ticket
It would be a simple matter to make the software support multi-segment flights. The problem is finding a way to pull the information off the Qantas site. All the red-e-deals are nicely listed, but I don't know of any way to find multi-segment prices without doing an actual search (or K/J class prices for that matter). Any thoughts?

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.