Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by bravoecho
QF WP,

I agree that there is some amazing deals to Europe on right now. I have just priced my October intinerary and the whole thing came to $2850!!

Here is the routing:

QF BNE-SIN
QF SIN-LHR
BA LHR-MXP
AZ MXP-CDG
BA CDG-LHR
BA LHR-IST
BA IST-LHR
QF LHR-SIN
QF SIN-BNE

I considered the WT+ upgrade, but when it is 35% of the ticket extra, that money could be better spent over there. If I could get the same deal as yourself, then it would be a no-brainer. Still very happy with the pricing nonetheless ^ .
Just back from Europe & trolling through FT'er to get my fix came across this. Wow thats cheap!

Had a couple of interesting experiences while abroad.
Managed to spend 7 hours in the 1st lounge in T4 @ LHR. Two bottles of JW Blue label followed by massage certainly did the trick on the way home!

Flew RyanAir ex Stanstead to Madrid. Certainly a experience & one I hope not to have again. But for 40 quid return you cannot whinge to much!
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Talking Go you good thing QF

Thanks to NM and Dave Noble for their sage advice regarding forgetting about using my points/SC's to upgrade BNE/SIN on Tuesday (when it already appears that we have J seats because of aircraft config of 747 rather than usual 767 and having arranged seating in Rows 27).

I was just checking my QFF account to see tht my flights BNE/SYD/MEL/BNE had posted (flown Thursday/Friday) and I saw a big loss of points. Now, my first thought was "Gee, I hope when I rang QF the other night to cancel the waitlist for BNE/SIN, it was done; I hope the U seats to SIN hadn't gone through before I rang"...

With a deal of trepidation, I opened up my booking for Tuesdays trip and breathed out again when I saw the BNE/SIN was still showing M class and the U waitlist had disappeared.

The next line, however, made my heart soar and I did a little jig around the office before I settled down to ring Mrs QF WP. Seems that QF, in their wisdom, have given us U seats SIN/LHR on QF9. ^ ^ ^ What a great use of 140K points...they are all yours, QF !!

Made it all the more worthwhile that I am at work all day today to clear the desk. Now, back to it...
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Excellent. J seats to SIN albeit with Y service plus Skybeds to London sounds like a good trip to me

Dave
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:40 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Hey QF WP, the QF gods are smiling on you for sure. That is great news. Now lets see, Arrive BNE around lunch time and "prepare" for the flight in the QP F lounge. Depart Brisbane mid afternoon and watch a few movies, read, enjoy each other's company (you pre-allocate seats together, didn't you?). Couple of hours in SIN ... time for a shower and those fantastic noodles in the F lounge. The enjoy the horozontility for 12+ hours overnight to London. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Have a great trip ^ .
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
NM, that's a pretty fair summation of the start of my day...

Have pre-allocated 27JK on QF51 and it's still showing a 744. Nice move thanks to you and Dave Noble.

In SIN F lounge, while Mrs QF WP has a shower, I have two phone calls to make:

FT'er Zermatt (hopefully he'll be in SIN still on the day)
My best friend (who lives in SIN)

Now that we have got J seats on QF9 (26 JK this time), in LHR we'll visit T4 Arrivals Lounge for another shower and cooked breakfast upstairs; before heading over to T1 and final leg on BA LHR/PRG on a Airbus 321 (back on a 734).

Will await any SMS I get from you on Sat 7 Aug...does this mean your trip could still yet change at this late hour?? We have pre-allocated 20FG on BA27 LHR/HKG, but I have somebody from FT helping me with early check-in ^, courtesy of our BA EC membership (as I will be out to dinner when seating opens up 24 hours prior). Very helpful, indeed...

Won't know about QF128 U seats until probably that Saturday....have 46 BC pre-allocated on a 744.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:33 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF WP
Now that we have got J seats on QF9 (26 JK this time), in LHR we'll visit T4 Arrivals Lounge for another shower and cooked breakfast upstairs; before heading over to T1 and final leg on BA LHR/PRG on a Airbus 321 (back on a 734).
A word of experience on BA 734's. You don't want the exit row. Those rows DON'T recline on the BA 737-400's. Note that on these aircraft, BA move the boundary between CE and WHY seatling a little like QF does, but can be back to about row 15 or beyond at times. So the seats in the forward WHY cabin are the same pitch as they use for CE, with the only diff being 2x3 vs 3x3 seating. So don't get sucked into the "may we have an exit row" question unless you want to sit bolt upright for the entire flight.
Will await any SMS I get from you on Sat 7 Aug...does this mean your trip could still yet change at this late hour?? We have pre-allocated 20FG on BA27 LHR/HKG, but I have somebody from FT helping me with early check-in ^, courtesy of our BA EC membership (as I will be out to dinner when seating opens up 24 hours prior). Very helpful, indeed...
Unlikely to change again, but you never know . I too plan a visit to the arrivals lounge between JFK-LHR_T4 and LHR_T1-HEL. I have 3hr40min connection. The only issue being that my passport is getting retty full and I need to go through UK immigration to get to the arrivals lounge. Oh well, I will just have to live with the extra stamps .
Won't know about QF128 U seats until probably that Saturday....have 46 BC pre-allocated on a 744.
Hope it works for you. That will be a better use of the SC's than BNE-SIN. Its an overnight flight with Skybeds, so will be a good U score. Enjoy the Wing before the flight, even if in row 46.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"A word of experience on BA 734's. You don't want the exit row. Those rows DON'T recline on the BA 737-400's. Note that on these aircraft, BA move the boundary between CE and WHY seatling a little like QF does, but can be back to about row 15 or beyond at times. So the seats in the forward WHY cabin are the same pitch as they use for CE, with the only diff being 2x3 vs 3x3 seating. So don't get sucked into the "may we have an exit row" question unless you want to sit bolt upright for the entire flight."

Some may not recline but the great amount of space you get really makes up for it. iirc, the 1st exit row (11) does not have reclining seats since there is an exit behind it , however the second exit row (12) does have reclining seats. Imo , row 12 is the best row of seats on the plane, followed by 11. Anything from rows 1-9 comes after that. Row 10 is, imo, the worst row since the seat in front of it can recline but row 10 seats have no recline.

On the flight that the QF WPs are taking , CE only extends back to about row 8 so the exits are nicely within the WHY cabin

Dave
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks to Dave Noble for his assistance with the LHR/PRG/LHR and LHR/HKG flights. Alas, no op up on BA27 last night, but still very pleasant in WT+.

NM, op up Gods are looking kindly on us this time - checked today to find our J waitlist had come through on QF128, so hope it's a Skybed config plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.