Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

Old Jun 21, 04, 6:15 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozzie
And here I was thinking that QF WP was trying to catch a train from Kings Cross to Newark, NJ (I don't think the airtrain quite makes it to Kings Cross yet) .... but then I found there is a place in the UK called Newark. You learn something new every day
And what about Newark, Delaware (not far from Willmington)? They pop up all over the place when we are not watching.
Old Jun 26, 04, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (92.8% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Question WightLink Ferry question

New question - looks like some of Mrs QF WP's relatives will be holidaying on Isle of Wight in an 8 berth caravan, so we are contemplating going for an overnight stay on 1 Aug.

We'll be in Totnes (somewhere near Torquay, I'm lead to believe) and driving to Portsmouth to catch a WightLink Ferry (looking to take over our hire car even though it's more expensive, as opposed to leaving it parked on the mainland).

Any ideas as to how to book a ferry ticket on their web site if you don't know the car make/model/rego (we used Mrs QF WP's fathers old Rover details to get a quote)??

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 26, 04 at 8:14 pm Reason: adding question
Old Jun 26, 04, 8:26 pm
NM

Hmm, we were planning to do similarly for our trip last year. But after advice from people in FT and following discussions with my UK relatives, we decided we were better off with a couple of days/nights on the England south coast rather than going over the Isle of Wight. The ferry trip was desctibed to us as the most expensive water crossing in Europe!

We had originally booked for two nights at the Travel Inn on the Isle of Wight, but ended up cancelling and then struggled to find accommodation for seven people at short notice in summer along the south coast. We ended up with three rooms at a pub in Dorchester, which ended up being great.

As for the ferry crossing, we didn't get that far down the track with booking it. Is it cheaper to book now or the same price if you book closer to travel date? If you can wait until you have the hire car you will obviously know the details.

Otherwise see if you can book with details like "Hertz rental car - compact" or whatever type you have booked. The only reason I can see that they would want to know is for space/weight considerations.

I seem to remember that there are two ferries (at least), one from Portsmouth and one from South Hampton I think. We were planning to go over on one and back on the other, but I have no idea of the costs expect that it is expensive.
Old Jun 26, 04, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Any ideas as to how to book a ferry ticket on their web site if you don't know the car make/model/rego (we used Mrs QF WP's fathers old Rover details to get a quote)??"

Probably can't. The best suggestion I could make in this scenario would be to phone Wightlink and ask them for a quote.

Alternatively see if you can book on Red Funnel which runs from Southampton to Cowes which doesn't appear to ask for the registration number and save the problems. www.redfunnel.co.uk

Dave
Old Jun 26, 04, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (92.8% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Ah, this couple are Mrs QF WP's favourite relatives, closest to our own age and they have invited us to stay, as we miss them when we hit South London otherwise - and one is wise to Mrs QF WP's nuance's ["QF WP, I'd really like to go"....is really "QF WP we're going" ]

It is described on the web site as the most expensive ferry crossing - at GBP57.70 return for a 30 minute crossing (but that's the same cost as a night at the Travel Inn we were going to have). We wont have any other significant costs on the island as they are putting us up in the caravan as they are on their summer holidays.

We'll probably book once we've got the Hertz hire car or when we're in Devon - no difference in price unless our preferred crossing times are booked out and we have to get an earlier one. Just have to book 2 days prior, according to the website.

Three crossing points from the mainland - Lymington to Yarmouth, Portsmouth to Fishbourne (both vehicular and 30-35 minutes) and Portsmouth to Ryan (foot pax catamaran in 15 minutes).
Old Jun 26, 04, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Three crossing points from the mainland - Lymington to Yarmouth, Portsmouth to Fishbourne (both vehicular and 30-35 minutes) and Portsmouth to Ryan (foot pax catamaran in 15 minutes)."

Plus the red funnel car service Southampton to Cowes, plus iirc, a passenger cat service on the same route, plus of course, my personal favourite, the hovertravel passenger hovercraft from Portsmouth & Southsea to Ryde Esplanade

Is there a reason why you have to travel on Wightlink rather than any other?

Dave
Old Jun 27, 04, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Wink

Dave, simple really - most direct route, saving time. According to Mrs QF WP's AA Road Altas of England, when travelling from Torquay (using the A35), one can go through Lymington first (a smaller town where the pax numbers will be slightly less on the ferry and a shorter journey across to Yarmouth then to wherever they will be holidaying); rather than the extra distance up to Southampton, greater pax numbers on the ferry and a distance 3 times that of the Lymington-Yarmouth). Plus, we get to travel through Christchurch (just to confuse us )

When we leave, as we are heading up to Oxted and Croydon, we will then be again using the most direct ferry route - Fishbourne to Portmouth, and using the A27/A23/M23/A23.

Buying a return using the same carrier is generally cheaper than two singles on different carriers, unless I am mistaken or there is an anomoly.
Old Jun 27, 04, 3:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Nerd hat on - the train also changes over power sources at Farringdon, which takes a couple of minutes. Nerd hat off.
Why does it take a few minutes? All it involves is raising the pantograph and raising the third rail collecter shoe (or vice versa). EuroStar manages it it high speed (well, at least what passes for high speed in the UK), so why it should take any time at all whilst stationary is beyond me.

Dave
Old Jun 28, 04, 2:55 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Why not go on the ferry as foot passengers only and get your relatives to pick you up on the other side ?
Old Jun 28, 04, 6:19 am
Original Poster

ozzie, we're waiting on the rele's to get back to us by email (we don't know exactly where they are holidaying and whetherthey have their car over there). Methinks that if they have gone over by foot (and have used the bus service to get around), then we'd need to do the same thing...if that's the case, then we'd need to drive to Souhhampton using the A31/M27/M271 motorway (and miss some of the lovely countyside east of Bournemouth on the A35/A337) and mean dropping off the car in Southhampton and picking up another one in Portsmouth.

Funny, I've just been having the same discussion with Dave Noble via ICQ.

Will keep you posted...
Old Jun 28, 04, 6:50 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by QF WP
ozzie, we're waiting on the rele's to get back to us by email (we don't know exactly where they are holidaying and whetherthey have their car over there). Methinks that if they have gone over by foot (and have used the bus service to get around), then we'd need to do the same thing...if that's the case, then we'd need to drive to Souhhampton using the A31/M27/M271 motorway (and miss some of the lovely countyside east of Bournemouth on the A35/A337) and mean dropping off the car in Southhampton and picking up another one in Portsmouth.

Funny, I've just been having the same discussion with Dave Noble via ICQ.

Will keep you posted...
the public transport system on IOW is nothing short of archaic - I'd recommend a car while you are there if you want to see any of the sites. It's also not as small as you might think - you certainly can't walk from one side to the other (!!) (but then some people here in the UK think you can walk from one side of New Zealand to the other in less than an hours). If you just want to see your relatives though and they can collect you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jul 13, 04, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Talking Don't you just love NM

Originally Posted by NM
Just be aware that QF51/52 is generally slated to be a 747-300. However, some ops are getting a 747-400. If you get a 3-class -400 sold as 2-class QF51/52, then you want a seat in rows 23-27. That will be a business class seat sold as economy.
Would like to thank NM for his excellent suggestion in his post above (from MarkUK's topic), indeed he alerted me that our flight next week on QF51 appears (currently) to be a 3 class (sold as 2) aircraft.

So I made sure that I changed our seat assignment (one has to love being a WP at these times, a simple phone call to Platinum Desk and they asked Seating to release seats in Row 27), so our re-positioned seats fall into J if the aircraft type slated to take the service actually happens.

Now as I already have 2 U seats waitlisted, it would be nice to save the points/credits and be given a J seat with WHY service; however it would be even better to have F seat with J service!! Now, I just have to wait to see if some points/UC's disappear from my account and my booking changes (like I'm checking twice a day at the moment, but of course it's more likely to happen about 3 days from flight when it comes to the attention of Yield Management).

Then there's also hoping QF9 U seats clear too..that would be the icing on the cake.
Old Jul 13, 04, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozzie
the public transport system on IOW is nothing short of archaic - I'd recommend a car while you are there if you want to see any of the sites. It's also not as small as you might think - you certainly can't walk from one side to the other (!!) (but then some people here in the UK think you can walk from one side of New Zealand to the other in less than an hours). If you just want to see your relatives though and they can collect you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Looks like a sensible suggestion from ozzie (wouldn't expect anything else from him either), so we have kept the car (albeit 30GBP more expensive for the crossing, it'll give us the freedom to circumnavigate our way around the island without relying on Mrs QF WP's Aunt & Uncle)

Still waiting on the rele's to email us back about where they are staying on IoW, but going over from Lymington to Yarmouth looks more likely (so we can see some more of the coastal scenery, even if it is slower - we'll have probably missed all the ocean scenery coming up the A35). Leaving IoW from Fishbourne (arriving at Portmouth) is still the go at present...

Last edited by QF WP; Jul 13, 04 at 5:38 am Reason: slight change to answer
Old Jul 13, 04, 7:57 am
NM

Originally Posted by QF WP
Now as I already have 2 U seats waitlisted, it would be nice to save the points/credits and be given a J seat with WHY service; however it would be even better to have F seat with J service!!
Personally, I would save the UC's (very valuable to me) for an overnight flight where the F seat will be more beneficial. QF51 is a day-time flight so I would be looking more the legroom of the J Dreamtime and to watch a movie or two.

Then again, you may value the J wines more than the WHYnes you'll get without spending the US's.
Old Jul 13, 04, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

NM, as I would expect this to be my last long-haul overseas trip for a while (read a year or two), I wouldn't want to lose them or waste them....even a BNE/PER in J (the best I can hope for) isn't worth a BNE/SIN in F (couple of hours longer to drink and relax). As I said, if I'm going to go out, I'll go out in style.

I also found out from my TA about my fare bases. The outbound flights (BNE/SIN/LHR/PRG) are on a QF fare MHSS1Y. The inbound flights (PRG/LGA...LHR/HKG/SYD/BNE) are on a BA fare MKSS1Y.

Dave Noble, this means that as they are linked, I can't upgrade my BA PRG/LGW from Y to D/J, as I would have to change all of them. That I am not willing to do at this stage...enough money spent already.

I rang AA in USA last night, Mrs QF WP is on a Plat Challenge this time....so friendly and helpful!! Won't deal with AA SYD any more.

Search this Thread