Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

QF WP's off to LHR - conundrum and questions

Old Jun 10, 04, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (92.8% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Cool All these replies

Wow, I didn't expect such a lot of discussion about my trip, but certainly some posts need responses.

ozzie, that makes perfect sense to try and get 110% rather than 25%, I will try and see what I can do. Never having "upgraded" from WHY to WT+ before (only ever paid for W or T class tickets), how do I go about it?? Is it done before ticketing, or done at the airport?? QF does not codeshare on this flight (or so I was told by Premium Desk CSA who I spoke to).

Budgetary constraints laid down by Mrs QF WP (and agreed by me) were the reason, as we have some expensive "out of pocket" medical expenses between October and December and we are concerned about those. Might be able to slip this under the guard though...if I have a very successful June at work (looking quite likely too!!).

Prague was chosen by Mrs QF WP as "her" side-trip because she loves it and wants to show me around; mine was Hong Kong because I want to catch up with DrD, MrsDrD and DrDJunior (and see clients/friends over there, to make it nicely tax deductible).

Swanhunter, I think we should be able to arrange that - I'm allowed one afternoon of FT don't you think ?? I met Dave Noble on my last trip and missed Globaliser, so once we have "organised" our itinerary this weekend, I'll come back with the pertinent date, time and place. Presumably will be somewhere like a pub in Central London.

Believe me all, Tallinn sounds great after reading NM's RTW trip report and discussing it briefly with him subsequently. alas, it didn't fit in with plans...there's always next time (2015 from the looks of it).

ajinlondon, believe me I have taken the BA WT+ SYD/SIN, MEL/SIN and SYD/BKK (BA now have my business on those routes over the inferior QF WHY seat, particularly at these prices). As mentioned above, budgetary constraints are the biggest thing at present and we aren't flying the return routes (definitely coming back via HKG). Strange that you can find seats, because the Premium Desk CSA couldn't.... - will check with my TA.
Old Jun 11, 04, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Never having "upgraded" from WHY to WT+ before (only ever paid for W or T class tickets), how do I go about it?? Is it done before ticketing, or done at the airport?? QF does not codeshare on this flight (or so I was told by Premium Desk CSA who I spoke to)."

There are a few fare types ( such as the OW RTW tickets) which allow a purchase to upgrade from 3rd World Traveller to WT+ (T) in advance for a fee. Normally it is a full fare recalculation though. You can purchase WT+ upgrades on the plane as long as there are seats available for 200 per sector which are a pretty decent deal. Check in the lounge whether WT+ is full before heading off to the aircraft just speak to the CSD as you board the aircraft and request to purchase an on-board upgrade to WT+

Dave
Old Jun 11, 04, 1:15 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozzie
Sorry NM ... !! I couldn't remember whether you were there or not when we discussed it ...
All is forgiven .... this time . Just don't let it happen again .
Old Jun 11, 04, 2:22 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
"Never having "upgraded" from WHY to WT+ before (only ever paid for W or T class tickets), how do I go about it?? Is it done before ticketing, or done at the airport?? QF does not codeshare on this flight (or so I was told by Premium Desk CSA who I spoke to)."

There are a few fare types ( such as the OW RTW tickets) which allow a purchase to upgrade from 3rd World Traveller to WT+ (T) in advance for a fee. Normally it is a full fare recalculation though. You can purchase WT+ upgrades on the plane as long as there are seats available for 200 per sector which are a pretty decent deal. Check in the lounge whether WT+ is full before heading off to the aircraft just speak to the CSD as you board the aircraft and request to purchase an on-board upgrade to WT+

Dave
I thought on most fare types that you can upgrade individual sectors to WT+ ? Worth a call I'd say to see how much it is ...

If you can't do it beforehand, there's no use in doing it unless you just want a better seat. On-board upgrades do not receive the increased miles / tier points.
Old Jun 15, 04, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (92.8% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Talking Update - 15 June

Well, true to his word, the MEL-based CSA I spoke to over the weekend rang me back this afternoon about my upgrade from BA WHY to WT+ on the BA27 LHR/HKG sector (alas, no Premium Desk, so I had to wait until Tuesday as neither he, any of the other CSA's or their supervisor knew whether an individual sector could be upgraded on my fare type).

Seems that it can - we are now flying WT+ (in W class, mind you - no T left), but with some twists! Also had to upgrade all of the other inbound sectors (I learn something new every day). BA's PRG/LHR is now in full Y and QF's HKG/SYD/BNE is now in H, as it's now a QF fare basis for the BNE/SIN/LHR/PRG and now a BA fare basis for the PRG/LHR/HKG/SYD/BNE.

Actually, quite surprised with the reasonableness of the cost uplift - from $3,596.02 to $4,129.52 ($533.50) for the 4 sectors (per person).

Of course, being a true FT'er - thinking of the added benefits of full economy class SC's on PRG/LHR and LHR/HKG as well as additional mileage - 100% miles on PRG/LHR and 110% on LHR/HKG , rather than the 25% miles on both sectors under M class .

Now, I'll just have to earn the extra $$ - walk in the park prior to 30 June.

Well, now that the flights seemed to have sorted themselves out, let's look at the accomodation, car hire and rail travel. Readers of the Hilton forum would know of my accomodation enquiries.

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 15, 04 at 12:56 am Reason: editing classes of travel
Old Jun 15, 04, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Then there's the seating...

Then there's the seating to organise, of course, but first to ticket it prior to 30 June (for the tax deduction of course). Currently checking it at Check my Trip web site:

QF0051 BNE/SIN on B744, seats 24EF
QF0009 SIN/BNE on B744, seats 37FG
BA0854 LHR/PRG on A321/2, seats not yet allocated
BA2853 PRG/LHR on B734, seats not yet allocated
BA0027 LHR/HKG on B744, seats 20FG
QF0128 HKG/SYD on B744, seats 36AB (not my pref??)

Think I'll be changing most of those hopefully by scoring U seat upgrades, but after reading MrsDrD's thread, maybe I'll just be lucky enough to change away from the window/middle to middle/aisle.

Nothing more forward currently on the QF flights, but perhaps my Plat charm can secure some first row seats once I've ticketed??

Thankfully, have BA's OLCI to use as well, so had better get back and warm up my password.
Old Jun 15, 04, 2:09 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
It's quite funny here how QF WP has only worked out the additional miles / service credits for changing the routing .... I'd pay that much extra just to SIT in WT+ for one sector. BA WT- is not the most pleasant experience in the world.
Old Jun 15, 04, 3:47 am
Original Poster

WT+...the only way to fly BA if you can't afford J

ozzie, that's because it was a given...having flown it 4 times, I know how good it is (so does Mrs QF WP).
Old Jun 16, 04, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Final flights update...ticketed now

ozzie, if I'm going to be honest, I'd worked out the difference in miles and SC's on both options and of course felt that the extra $550 pp was worth the uplift towards WP renewal and almost totally renews Silver for Mrs QF WP in one itinerary. The extra miles are about 5,717 for me (difference between 25% and 110% of the 666 miles PRG/6,060 miles and 6,060 LHR/HKG) an then there's Mrs QF WP's.

When I flicked the booking to my TA, she was astounded with the "lack of" cost differential between the two fares (as I had been), so after her Flight Centre discount is applied, I have got her to ticket them today. In fact, I can't see how they can be that cheap to upgrade 4 flights, so if QF find they have made a mistake, they can whistle for the difference. Of course, I have used by Amex to get 1.5 points per $ as well...

As soon as the ticket number shows up on Check My Trip (hopefully this afternoon, but more likely overnight), that will give me a chance to then get the U seats (or waitlist) the other long-haul QF flights in the itinerary (well, it almost perfectly uses up all my points in my QF account, before the trip points are added - 44K worth from my calcs and 220 SC's for me).

With the flights part of the planning under my belt, I can now turn my attention to car hire/accomodation and train fares.

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 16, 04 at 9:00 pm Reason: Editing to add points differential
Old Jun 16, 04, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF QC PS, SPG Gold
Thumbs up Europe is cheap

QF WP,

I agree that there is some amazing deals to Europe on right now. I have just priced my October intinerary and the whole thing came to $2850!!

Here is the routing:

QF BNE-SIN
QF SIN-LHR
BA LHR-MXP
AZ MXP-CDG
BA CDG-LHR
BA LHR-IST
BA IST-LHR
QF LHR-SIN
QF SIN-BNE

I considered the WT+ upgrade, but when it is 35% of the ticket extra, that money could be better spent over there. If I could get the same deal as yourself, then it would be a no-brainer. Still very happy with the pricing nonetheless .
Old Jun 17, 04, 3:07 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Don't do LHR to PRG!

Sorry, only just joined.

PRG is served from Gatwick by 3 airlines, Heathrow by 2, Stansted by 2 etc.
You should have tried BA from LGW if you wanted the points as the fares are usually much lower/upgradeability higher. CSA the czech airline is OK and now skyteamed. Easyjet is not aligned. Bmibaby is related to British Midland but I don't know about its *A alignment.

Shout me when in LON

David
Spotwelder
Old Jun 17, 04, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

spotwelder, thanks for the tip; however as we fly into LHR T4 from SIN, we want to use the Arrivals Lounge for a refreshing shower before we head over to T1 for the connection. Don't want to waste hours trudging over from LHR to LGW, we wanted fair connections allowing us enough time to have that shower (we are IRE and UK passport holders, so we'll hopefully beat the crowds - particularly with a 5.25am arrival).

We are flying back into LGW though...timing was everything, we wanted as much time in PRG but as we have to catch the HEx into Paddinton then get a train up to Nottingham, we needed mid-afternoon arrival.

I'll be organising a (non-QF) Pub meeting, will have that date set by the end of this weekend and will post in a separate topic.
Old Jun 17, 04, 6:12 pm
NM

Originally Posted by QF WP
We are flying back into LGW though...timing was everything, we wanted as much time in PRG but as we have to catch the HEx into Paddinton then get a train up to Nottingham, we needed mid-afternoon arrival.
Ummm, QF WP, how does one (or two in the case of youself and the good Mrs QF WP) manage to catch the Heathrow Express (HEx) from Gatwick to Paddington?

Would that not be the Gatwick Express to Victoria station?
Old Jun 17, 04, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, [b]NM[/b], for pointing out my failings

You are indeed correct NM, I was getting ...
Old Jun 17, 04, 6:31 pm
NM

Originally Posted by QF WP
You are indeed correct NM, I was getting ...
Glad to be of assistance, sir . Just didn't want the two of you missing the train, so to speak.

Search this Thread