Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The NEW -what are they serving in QPs/F Lounges thread!

The NEW -what are they serving in QPs/F Lounges thread!

Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by og
and some very expensive brandy
I checked again today and the only brandy at LAX FL is VS cognac (not VSOP). Under USD 20 a bottle; I've never seen anything else stocked here (while the Boston FL does stock better, and BA in LHR has XO or about 6 times the cost of the FL brandy). The poor quality of the brandy at LAX is a pet peeve of mine (they could buy Christian Brothers Reserve at the same price and it would be much better than what they do serve, as well as being a CA product); also they stock very good vodka and scotch. Wine and brandy is neglected. Interesting priorities (though I suspect they get the Grey Goose for free in a marketing arrangement).
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Today In Cairns International ..

Shock horror, there is no First Class Lounge in Cairns, only a Qantas Club ( not even a Chairman's Lounge graces the international terminal ).

Well being served today

Wines

Sparking:
Wolf Blass Pinot Noir

White:
Taylors Promised land Unwooded Chardonnay
Wolf Blass Reisling

Red: Rothbury Estate Shiraz

Beers

Unlike the lounges in Sydney and Melbourne, up in Cairns they still provide beers in bottles and cans rather than from a dispenser in the QP

Crown
Hahn Premium
HP Light
Cans of VB and Castlemaine XXXX

Spirits

Tia Maria
Bacardi
Southern Comfort
St Remy Napoleon Brandy
Chivas Regal
Campari
Bundaburg Rum
Jim Bean
Absolut Vodka
Gordon's Dry Gin

Dave
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:55 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Chicago O'Hare (ORD) AA Flagship Lounge

Having visited a few lounges in the last week, I thought I should provide an update. Note that I missed out on two lounge visits due to a flight delay out of FRA, but that is a whole nother story that I am sure will come out in other threads.

I didn't note all the booze on offer in all the lounges - just the things that interested me at the time . It makes more sense to post these separately since each lounge has its own story .

Chicago O'Hare (ORD) AA Flagship Lounge

At checkin I was told the AA lounge is near gate H5. I was travelling on QF3164 codeshare with AA455 ORD-LAX. After finding the AC I enquired about the Flagship Lounge and was told it was way over the other side at K19 and I should just stay at the AC as it was closer to my gate. I knew better . So I took the 5 min walk to K19 and located the FL. The agent there was horrified that the AC agent had suggested I remain in the AC, and she welcomed me, noting that they don't call domestic flights in the FL.

Food:
Cream cheese and cucumber sandwitches, great fruit platter and the usual selection of sticky deserts. All very good.

Bubbly:
Piper Somona (I liked this one)
Piper Heidsiek (the Somona was better in my opinion)

Red Plonk:
Benzinger 2001 Merlo
St Francis 2004 Cab Sav (now that is young)

Scotch:
The Glenlivet 12yo
Ballentines

Others:
Makers Mark Bourbon
Grey Goose collection of Vodkas
The usual fair of other stuff

Overall, this is a great lounge, and the walk to my departure gate of H15 was not much more than 5 mins. I know where to head next time I am at ORD.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:07 pm
NM

Los Angeles LAX T4 QF First/AA Flagship Lounge

I had stayed the night in LA (went for diner at The Magic Castle which was wonderful) and headed to LAX T4 early to enjoy breakfast at the T4 joint QF First / AA Flagship Lounge. But found that according to the sign at the Qantas check-in counters, check-in doesn't open for QF107 LAX-JFK until 7am. Doh. So I had to wait at the F checkin desk for 40 mins until an AA agent finallay arrived at 7:10 and said they normally don't start check-in until 7:30, but she would check me in since I was there!

I had used 8000 points for a D->Z upgrade for this sector - one of the best value upgrade awards available!

Food:
Croisants, bread etc with butter/jams as you would expect for continental breakfast
Friut platter (very good - I like my fruit for breakfast)
Yoghurts

Bubbly:
Moet (down in the fridge under the bench - nobody drinking it that morning)

Scotch:
JW Gold (half a bottle at 7:20am, less by 8:30am )
The Glenlivet 12yo

Didn't really take much notice of what else was on offer. I like this lounge for its reasonable views of the T4 tarmac and its supply of JW Gold.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:27 pm
NM

New York JFK BA/QF First Lounge

I arrived in F on QF107 and was connecting to BA176 to London in Club World. Since I had checked-in for the BA176 flight in LAX at the Qantas desk, my board pass was printed on Qantas First Class stock and not BA stock. This caused some confusion at the lounge and the boarding gate!

Since I was travelling on BA in Club World I was not entitled to use the old Concorde room, which is for BA First Class passengers only. But I was welcome to use the BA First Class Lounge adjacent to the BA Executive (Business Class) Lounge.

Food: Preflight Dining
There is little food (just potato chips and nuts) in the F lounge. But BA offers pre-flight dining for all flights from JFK, which is a wonderful idea. The pre-flight dining room is accessed through the BA Executive Club lounge. Qantas passengers awaiting QF108 are not permitted to use the pre-flight dining facility. Since my BA176 boarding pass was on Qantas First Class stock, I was initially denied access to the pre-flight dining room. I had to point out the BA flight number and LHR destination to three different BA staff members before they allowed me to enter. Once said "I will make an exception for you this time", which I thought strange even after I had pointed out that I was not travelling on QF, but BA in Club class.

Food was very good. I selected a salmon dish and enjoyed it. I was offered chilled sweetpea soup and that was good also. I didn't note the wines on offer in the dining room and only had water to drink there.

Back in the F lounge, the scotch selection was one of the widest I have come across. Not all good, but plenty of choise.

Scotch:
JW Red (why do they bother??)
JW Black (again, why given the others on offer)
Glenfiddich 12yo
Talisker (smokey and mellow - great)
Jamison (yes, I know its not scotch, but close enough)
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:39 pm
NM

London LHR BA First Terminal 1

After arriving into T4 from JFK, I visited the T4 arrivals lounge (after clearing immigration and customs) for a shower and breakfast. Full cooked breakfast is available, which was very good. But no booze on offer here!

Heathrow Express over to T1 and the long walk to check-in area R (I think it is R) for the BA Premium check-in desks. Checked-in for my trip to HEL, through security and into the T1 F lounge.

Since I had arrived on BA Club World from JFK (Long Haul by BA definition) I was permitted a treatment (back massage) in the MB Spa at T1.

Food:
Basic continental breakfast offering - good thing I ate at T4 arrivals lounge Not much mofre on offer as the morning moved into afternoon. Time to move to the Champaigne bar!

Scotch:
JW Red
JW Blue
The Glenlivet 18yo
Jamison
Glenfiddich something (not out on the self-serve bar, but under the counter of the Champaigne Bar). I suspect this was the 18yo, but could not see properly.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:47 pm
NM

Helsinki Finn Air First Lounge

Check-in was a zoo and spent over 30 mins in the business class queue. Through security I went to the AY lounge up on the mezanine level. Since I was travelling to London (outside EU) I was permitted to go through passport control and use the AY F lounge. Passport Control took another 30 mins. It was a good thing my BA flight to LHR was 20 mins late so I had some time to enjoy the lounge!

Food:
Miniture choc biscuits like little Orios
Nuts

Scotch:
The Famous Grouse

Nothing overly impressive about the food or drinks on offer here! But the view if one of the better ones from an airline lounge.

Last edited by NM; Aug 12, 2004 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:53 pm
NM

Singapore QF/BA F Lounge

Showers were at full use when I arrived on QF10 from London. Had to queu behind three others (for the 9 showers) even though I was the first to the lounge from our arriving flight. Still plenty of available seating.

Food:
Fried rice
Cheese selection with crackers

Scotch:
JW Black - they need to take a look at LHR or JFK lounges for ideas

Bubbly:
Piper Heidsieck
Old Aug 14, 2004, 2:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM

Since my BA176 boarding pass was on Qantas First Class stock, I was initially denied access to the pre-flight dining room. I had to point out the BA flight number and LHR destination to three different BA staff members before they allowed me to enter. Once said "I will make an exception for you this time", which I thought strange even after I had pointed out that I was not travelling on QF, but BA in Club class.
Don't you just love those BA desk dragons. They really need to attend a "customer service" school rather than just "give the customer a serve".
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
Singapore F

Thursday morning, 12 August, waiting to catch QF 32. No wine nor bubbly put out. OK, it was 8 ish, but beer and spirits were available so not to serve wine and champers was sloppy.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:16 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Zermatt
Thursday morning, 12 August, waiting to catch QF 32. No wine nor bubbly put out. OK, it was 8 ish, but beer and spirits were available so not to serve wine and champers was sloppy.
And they need to realise that 8am in Singapore is well past Beer-o'Clock in other parts of the world, and many people at Singapore airport are operating on timezones other than what could be considered local. I noticed the wines didn;t come out until about 5pm in SIN. It was good thing I am happy with the other stuff, which as you note was available .
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Glenfiddich 18 is indeed stocked in the T1 and T4 F lounges. But they also stock the 12 yo, however it is rather easy to tell the diffference (and what an amazing difference 6 years makes!). Some other BA lounges stock 15 yo but I haven't noticed that in LHR.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NM
Scotch:
JW Gold (half a bottle at 7:20am, less by 8:30am )
The Glenlivet 12yo

Didn't really take much notice of what else was on offer. I like this lounge for its reasonable views of the T4 tarmac and its supply of JW Gold.
My last 3 visits to the LAX FL has been at noon -- just after the QF flights have arrived and their passengers have connected onwards, so the lounge is deserted. Each time the JW Gold bottle was empty -- drunk to the last drop. Quite impressive. Each time I insisted that the lounge attendant fetch a new bottle. After the 3rd time they just go to fetch a new bottle when they see me coming. Looks like you aren't the only QF pax who has a taste for Gold (they tell me that they go through a case of Gold a week).
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

" Looks like you aren't the only QF pax who has a taste for Gold (they tell me that they go through a case of Gold a week)"

Either that or NM has a hell of a taste for JW Gold

Dave
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:20 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
" Looks like you aren't the only QF pax who has a taste for Gold (they tell me that they go through a case of Gold a week)"

Either that or NM has a hell of a taste for JW Gold
Probably both are accurate . But, alas, I don't make it to the LAX FL on a weekly basis, so I can't take sole responsibility .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.