Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How good is Qantas International Travel insurance ? Any good alternative ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How good is Qantas International Travel insurance ? Any good alternative ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2004, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas , United
Question How good is Qantas International Travel insurance ? Any good alternative ?

Hello fellow travellers ,

I aimed this thread to Qantas travellers as Australian insurance rules apply,
if I am totally wrong here , sorry, I was unable to find anything similar on FT!

I did my research as well as it can be excepted from man old fart who doesn`t really know much about international travel.
My latest hurdle is the important international travel insurance !
My opinion on the ones offered at Flightcentre, after a few searches are not worth the paper thei are printed on, getting giftvouchers.
( But maybe I was looking in the wrong forum )

I really need a reputable Travel insurance who I can count on ,
but there are so many out there , that it gets consusing.
Of course one normally would get any offered by one of the BIG NAMES , like Qantas`s QBE partner, Royal & Sun , now VERO, etc.
Any good ones out there in the Aussie market offered by Private Health Funds worth mentioning ?

I founf MBF`s International Travel Insurance, which I took out last year , " a bit anal "...so I`m back to my belief that ALL INSURANCES are SHARKS.

http://www.travelinsurance.com.au/ seems to be a good source, but as with most insurances, confusing.
E.g. some mentioned there want to know where I touch down on my way to Europe, so they can add extra $$ to the quote.
I thought being in transit I would be covered anyway .

To tell you my flying route;
SYD>HONGKONG>LONDON>AMS>LONDON>TOKYO>SYDNEY,for 11 weeks with Qantas & BA.
If anyone could advise me on a good , not too expensive international insurance, not mainstream,please, I`d be grateful.

The BA sections HONGKONG > 13 hours HEATHROW> 12 hours TOKYO in 1`rst class Z are overnight...( its a an award flight, so no real money here ;-)

My second question is : what can I expect ? Full flat beds ?
Sleepware ? Sleeping shades & travel cosmetics bag ?
Im sure there are things I don`t expect and I`d like to be prepared.

One more thing, I fly out Z class with 40 kgs allowance, then continue the trip with 30 kgs in Business class, surely the luggage gets checked through without hassles ?
I hope!

Keep your answers coming !
Thanks in advance,
cheers ^
sydneylad
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Welcome to FT.

This is actually the complete wrong Forum to post your many questions in.

The good news is the QANTAS FORUM is the perfect place to do it.

There is in fact a thread right now on insurance. For $A75 a year, an ANZ Gold Visa will covert you perfectly all year and your spouse and any children IIRC. Joh and I have had one for years as have others on the QF board. but there are many choices as you'll find discussed there. No paperwork required, no restrictions on countries i have visited - you just fly and forget as long as you spend $A250 BEFORE you travel on something related to the journey. A hotel, tour, airfare, air taxes eve.

THAT is the beauty of FT .. there are a ton of accurate answers out there if you ask the questions in the correct place.

I suggest you re-post over there or a Mod may be kind enough to re-direct this thread for you.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 1:00 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
A 'welcome to flyertalk' also from my side.

As ozstamps has correctly pointed out this thread should indeed find a new home in the Quantas forum. I'll move it there.

ralfkrippner
Community co-moderator
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:44 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Smile Insurance cover option

I had used Cover-More Insurance Yearly travel policy for probably the past 10 years and even had the unfortunate pleasure of claiming from them once without any hassles (jewellery lost on Sunset Beach, Hawaii). IIRC, I believe this might be the policy that Flight Centre market. Click here for a quotation, here for information.

Now, I have gone to a corporate version which is broader cover for less price (the joys of an Association). Covers both Mrs QF WP and me for $250/year.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:56 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
So far, QF WP is the only person to tell us about his experience in making a claim. Its hard to relate the "value" or "quality" of an insurance policy until you have some idea of how the company is with dealling with claims.

Does anyone else have any feedback on making claims from travel insurance policies? Luckily I have never needed to claim, so can't offer any info in this regard. I have spent many hour comparing policies, especially for my 3 month RTW family holiday last year. But I could only make the choice based on the coverage offered, not the claim process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.