Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Newbie here with question on joining Qantas frequent flyer club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

This is my first time on this forum, i just had a question specifically about Qantas, i had booked a flight from qantas and figured that i was travelling more and more and should sign up to the frequent flyer club, i was wondering if i had registered after booking the flight, would that flight still count towards points to my account or do i have to join before booking a flight for those points to apply?

Thank you all
Old May 22, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT ^
It OK to join after the flight is booked. With QF you can join 30 days after a flight and still get points. Points are not awarded until after the flight is completed.

However, depending on here you live and your travel patterns other OneWorld alliance airline freq flyer programes may be better for you in the long run.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 22, 2011, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Welcome to FT, Storm91! In addition to what Mwenenzi has explained, you should check whether joining the QF program is the right thing for you. You can also get miles for QF flight on programs like AA or BA etc. The oneworld forum here is a good place to get advice on what program to join depending on your flying pattern and what you actually want from your frequent flyer program (free flights, lounge access etc.).
Old May 23, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Careful how you join.

If you are based in Australia, Qantas extends a special privalege of PAYING to join. Some $85 if memory serves me right.

I believe though that if you get a Woolworths everyday rewards card application you can complete this and get the Q FF membership for free.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's $87.50, but can be avoided easily these days with such as the Woolworths promotion.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Well i live in Ireland and i seem to making more and more trips to places like Hong Kong, Canada and England, so the qantas fee wouldnt apply to me. Thank you for the advice on looking on the oneworld forum because i honestly have no idea what i want out of these frequent flyer points, i guessed since i was starting to travel so much, i might as well get the most value out of my money.

Thank you all for your help.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: QFF SG
Originally Posted by Storm91
Well i live in Ireland and i seem to making more and more trips to places like Hong Kong, Canada and England, so the qantas fee wouldnt apply to me. Thank you for the advice on looking on the oneworld forum because i honestly have no idea what i want out of these frequent flyer points, i guessed since i was starting to travel so much, i might as well get the most value out of my money.

Thank you all for your help.
I would look at joining the BA program and crediting your Qantas points to it then, based on where you live, and where you fly to.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Have a look at the BA forum - as you will see BA don't alwys serve people who live in Ireland well - you get no BA fights (BA code share further afield, but no BA flights to the UK) and yet no 'EuroCheat' benefits, unlike those who live on the continent. You need to work out whether OneWorld, Star Alliance or Sky Team is best for you (it may makes sense to join 1 airline in each depending on travel plans and routes flown) and then within each alliance which airline programme is best or you.

It can't hurt to join the QF programme since it is free for you but you need to work out who it is best to credit points to goven your flying patterns. QF does offer benefits like lifetime status which maybe of use if you do a lot of flying, however you will only get extra baggage allowance with staus on QF metal, and BA/AA/IB are now linked, and may offer more if you are doing a lot of flying in Europe. Or if a lot of your flights are on Star Alliance, you may be better off with BMI Diamond Club.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I have a question I can't seem to find an answer. If I stay at either hilton or hyatt can I earn quantas points for my stay. I'm a qantas club member a frequent flyer member . I have two stays coming up at hilton and many at hyatt . I made the bookings direct thru the hotels websites.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I have a question I can't seem to find an answer. If I stay at either hilton or hyatt can I earn quantas points for my stay. I'm a qantas club member a frequent flyer member . I have two stays coming up at hilton and many at hyatt . I made the bookings direct thru the hotels websites.
yes, at least in Australia you can double dip with Hilton/QFF and get points at Hyatt
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
^ yes, at least in Australia you can double dip with Hilton/QFF and get points at Hyatt ^
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:22 pm

hi im wanting some information regarding frequent flyers points...i am aus citizen living in the uk and im goin to be don quite a lot of flying this yr. i have signed up for british ariways executive club and have already rached up 10grand from flight to india,but im goin to australia quite a few times this yr and it will be mixed between economy and business class so im wondering would it be better to go with qantas and claim points through them with american airlines and british airways or the other way around? im just trying to figure out how i can get the best deal..
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There's little to tell between Qantas and BA for speed of achieving status. BA is possibly a little better for mileage redemption. Whichever airline you choose, you do need to fly at least 4 segments a year on your home airline in order to get any status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.