Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:25 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Wine list from QF107 22/11/04

Dom Perignon Vintage 1996

Pipers Brook Riesling 2004
Tyrrells Vat 1 Hunter Semillon 1997
Tyrrells Vat 47 Hunter Chardonnay 2001

Port Phillip Estate Reserve Pinot Noir 2000
Joseph 'Moda' Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2000

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2002
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Dom Perignon 1996 served on QF10 1/3/05, both LHR-SIN and SIN-MEL.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Well i thought Id bring this old thread up again just to report my findings. HKG_LHR
NICE Charles Heidesiech Millesime 1995- just too tired to drink more than a bottle in 14 hrs as the flight left at 7.30 am!

Perrier Jouet Belle in the F lounge terminal 1 I actually like that lounge better than the T 4 lounge now!
SFO_SYD asked for the premium after takeoff.
a bottle Charles heidseick mis en cave appeared-MMM not my fav
oh well maybe the Millesime is chilling
went back later to ask for the premium

NOT LOADED!

the Flight attendants were very appologetic saying they have never seen premium not loadad for a long flight
so I had to make do with sparkling water and CH mis en cave for the wake up breakky. I did ask for the sea bass for breakfast and it was wonderful.

OH BTW no sniff of DOM or KRUG on any flight on the RTW!

lucky I had 3 dom waiting at SYD airport for my arrival at $A185 less 20% its a steal!

Last edited by tinkybelle; Oct 12, 2007 at 8:53 pm
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Well i thought Id bring this old thread up again just to report my findings. HKG_LHR
NICE Charles Heidesiech Millesime 1995- just too tired to drink more than a bottle in 14 hrs as the flight left at 7.30 am!

Perrier Jouet Belle in the F lounge terminal 1 I actually like that lounge better than the T 4 lounge now!
SFO_SYD asked for the premium after takeoff.
a bottle Charles heidseick mis en cave appeared-MMM not my fav
oh well maybe the Millesime is chilling
went back later to ask for the premium

NOT LOADED!

the Flight attendants were very apologetic saying they have never seen premium not loadad for a long flight
so I had to make do with sparkling water and CH mis en cave for the wake up breakky. I did ask for the sea bass for breakfast and it was wonderful.

OH BTW no snifgf of DOM or KRUG on any flight on the RTW!

lucky I had 3 dom waiting at SYD airport for my arrival at $A185 less 20% its a steal!
Tinkbelle

Clearly a lady after my own heart. Acknowledges the fine champagne that Charles Heidseick is and drinks it with breakfast! I suspect the loading of MEC in place of BDM was a caterer error since Qantas feature the MEC in Business. I would drop a line to Qantas customer care and see what they say.

I have just returned from the UK travelling Qantas in First to NY then BA NY to LHR- On QF the Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires 1995 is FANTASTIC and is 10 times better than the Belle Epoque 1999 I had on BA (though both carriers wisely serve CH BDM 1995 as part of their Champagne offering in First).

As a Qantas frequent flyer I can tell you that Qantas do indeed feature Dom and Krug regularly in their program along with my fave-of-faves Taittinger Comtes de Champagnes 1996. I am told by crew that along with wine program which aims to showcase the diversity of the Australian Wine industry and benchmark examples, the Champagne offering seeks to showcase the rich diversity of Champagne styles that exist.

I have heard a rumour that Qantas will even be featuring Dom Perignon Rose 1996 in First on some sectors in the coming months which is STELLAR. probably the only airline to be featuring this phenomenal and outrageously expensive Cuvee. YUM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The naked truth
I have heard a rumour that Qantas will even be featuring Dom Perignon Rose 1996 in First on some sectors in the coming months which is STELLAR. probably the only airline to be featuring this phenomenal and outrageously expensive Cuvee. YUM.
Hmm would it be too much to hope that this would be as close as three weeks away when I come to MEL for Ozfest?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Just wondering why don't QF just concentrate on 1-2 premium champanges? It is sort of pissing people off by offering some 2nd rated champagne (eg. Moet and Chandon) and then on another flight the Dom.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Just wondering why don't QF just concentrate on 1-2 premium champanges? It is sort of pissing people off by offering some 2nd rated champagne (eg. Moet and Chandon) and then on another flight the Dom.

Dave I totally agree with you!
and the naked truth!We should do a flight together.
and yes I will send a letter as I wasnt happy!
and sorry I will mis the rose as im not travelling again till next year

I tasted a few vintages at a special Dom dinner at the Shangri la sydney last year. very special
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Dave I totally agree with you!
and the naked truth!We should do a flight together.
and yes I will send a letter as I wasnt happy!
and sorry I will mis the rose as im not travelling again till next year

I tasted a few vintages at a special Dom dinner at the Shangri la sydney last year. very special
hahaha yes! No matter how much people say the DOM is overrated etc.. It is still my favourite! Non Vintage I will go for Krug! None of these Moey or Verve!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by The naked truth
...10 times better than the Belle Epoque 1999 I had on BA ...As a Qantas frequent flyer I can tell you that Qantas do indeed feature Dom and Krug regularly in their program along with my fave-of-faves Taittinger Comtes de Champagnes 1996. ...I have heard a rumour that Qantas will even be featuring Dom Perignon Rose 1996 in First on some sectors in the coming months which is STELLAR. probably the only airline to be featuring this phenomenal and outrageously expensive Cuvee. YUM.
Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque was served in J by AA for many years (and eventually replaced by Pommery, a heavier style, also considerably cheaper).

I've never seen Krug served by QF; guess I have been unlucky (but get my fill of Krug on CX). BA used to serve it regularly, but no more, and I honestly cannot remember ever seeing it on QF (Dom was much more likely). As for the Dom 96 Rose, it is cheaper than Krug at my wine store, so not quite what I would call outrageously expensive. Admittedly one of the few good Rose champagnes (along with Salon, much cheaper but equally good).

QF seems to "misload" wines in F on about 30% of their flights, based on my experience in the past 7 years. And most of the time, the "misload" is to use the J wines. What a pattern! Somehow is seems planned to me.
Old May 1, 2007, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Whenever I did into my cellar its always dom. i have heaps of Krug from years ago id say the bubbles would now be too small to see
Im not mad about the 98 dom though.
Im buying it as its cheap DF but maybe keep it for a while.

I didnt mind the CH millesieme though.but I wouldnt go out of my way to buy it.
Actually i have been alcohol free for the past week(well I did parttake for 24 days straight ). im feeling a moet moment now.
no one to share the good stuff with.

dom rose is like 400 a bottle here. krug NV 240
Old May 1, 2007, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque was served in J by AA for many years (and eventually replaced by Pommery, a heavier style, also considerably cheaper).
AA had the audicity to submit the Piper-Heidseick NV as their First Class submission in this year's cellars in the sky competition!!!! cost-cutting gone mad.

As for the Dom 96 Rose, it is cheaper than Krug at my wine store, so not quite what I would call outrageously expensive. Admittedly one of the few good Rose champagnes (along with Salon, much cheaper but equally good).

I would buy as much of it as you can get, clearly this is a mistake. The lowest price for Dom Rose 1996 on wine-search.com is $325 US per bottle. Krug Grand Cuvee is $75 US, Krug Vintage 1996 $274 US. Sounds like they might be pricing the Moet vintage Rose. I can assure you even by luxury cuvee standards DP Rose 1996 is expensive (albeit bl@@@@dy good).

QF seems to "misload" wines in F on about 30% of their flights, based on my experience in the past 7 years. And most of the time, the "misload" is to use the J wines. What a pattern! Somehow is seems planned to me.

Oh come on. Do you also believe the moon landing was staged?
Old May 1, 2007, 4:27 am

Whenever I did into my cellar its always dom. i have heaps of Krug from years ago id say the bubbles would now be too small to see
Im not mad about the 98 dom though.
Im buying it as its cheap DF but maybe keep it for a while.

I didnt mind the CH millesieme though.but I wouldnt go out of my way to buy it.
Actually i have been alcohol free for the past week(well I did parttake for 24 days straight ). im feeling a moet moment now.
no one to share the good stuff with.

dom rose is like 400 a bottle here. krug NV 240
Drank a fabulous magnum of 1986 Ruinart (I believe like Perrier Jouet almost entirely Chardonnay cuvee) last week at Bibendum in London. Sensational. Agree with your comments about Dom 1998 and to be honest cannot get excited about Krug Grand Cuvee NV either (though the vintage is special).

I just think people are such label drinkers and would love to see greater appreciation of some of the unsung Champagne producers and styles rather than just those brands that spend a motza on super-model advertising and then pass on the costs in the goods. Bring on more of the look-a-likes eg Vilmart and Cie (Krug).

I was speaking with leading International Champagne wine writer Tom Stevenson last week and he was raving about the forthcoming releases of Moet Vintage (sounds like some good options for home consumption as they are very well priced).
Old May 1, 2007, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
Yup - funny how a misload is always down a class. Never get loaded business wines for economy or first wines for business.

Speaking of QF wines I was shocked to see some recent business class flights (yes more than one) had just 1 red and 1 white on offer. Even economy on other airlines offers more.
Old May 1, 2007, 3:16 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Speaking of QF wines I was shocked to see some recent business class flights (yes more than one) had just 1 red and 1 white on offer. Even economy on other airlines offers more.
What's wrong with that? They were offering both types . They only offer two scotches, blended or single malt (both types) so why not the same for those drinking the plonk?
Old May 1, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... Speaking of QF wines I was shocked to see some recent business class flights (yes more than one) had just 1 red and 1 white on offer. ...
I assume you referring to "SWP domestic"? You know, SYD-CNS, DRW-SYD, AKL-ADL, BNE-MEL?

In which case that seems to standard for Business class on these flights.

These days, with Qantas the only flights you'll get more than one type each of red, white and bubbled wine in J on a flight in this region is trans-Tasman on QF25/QF26 and perhaps some flights betwixt SE OZ & PER.

Last edited by serfty; May 1, 2007 at 6:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.