Lounge eligibility?

Old May 1, 2024, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Lounge eligibility?

I am flying SIN-AKL via SYD stopover in July.
My ticket is PE
SIN-SYD leg is in PE with a 2 hour stopover in SYD then onto a B737 for the SYD-AKL leg which is in Business (as no PE class on this plane)
As the last leg from Sydney is in business would I be eligible to access the lounge?
Would be great to shower and freshen up before the last leg home. Not much info on the Qantas site.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mortonman
My ticket is PE
SIN-SYD leg is in PE with a 2 hour stopover in SYD then onto a B737 for the SYD-AKL leg which is in Business (as no PE class on this plane)
As the last leg from Sydney is in business would I be eligible to access the lounge?
Would be great to shower and freshen up before the last leg home. Not much info on the Qantas site.
With a business class boarding pass you will be eligible for SYD T1 business lounge access, based of class of service.
A 2:00hr scheduled arrival - scheduled departure may give you 60-90 minutes lounge time. Will need to process a security check Inter arrivals to Inter departures.
QF-->https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...e-travel-class

Edit
From another thread
Originally Posted by Sweetone
You will be required to go through security in SYD. We did a transit the other way to AKL on a flight from DFW. We almost missed our flight due to the unexpected security delay. Our bags did not arrive until the next day! Quite a mess! Every connecting passenger from an international flight goes through security again, even if you stay airside.
djsflynn and Mortonman like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 2, 2024 at 12:33 am
Old May 2, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remember to look for and go through international transfer.

Is this one ticket or two - just unusual to have a PE ticket sold with a J leg. Irrespective QF should check your bags through and issue boarding passes in SIN - or are you coming from somewhere else.

Last edited by Koru Flyer; May 2, 2024 at 7:02 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer

Is this one ticket or two - just unusual to have a PE ticket sold with a J leg. Irrespective QF should check your bags through and issue boarding passes in SIN - or are you coming from somewhere else.
Not that uncommon - It seems to depend; if the long-haul sector is a PE sale fare then the TT sector will be in economy, otherwise it seems theTT sector will be in biz. It might need a cheaper biz fare buckets (J or I) as well.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 4, 2024 at 8:28 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer

One ticket. When selection flight options for the akl leg i could have chosen economy with a 1 hr layover but went for the biz 2 hour option at the same cost
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mortonman
My ticket is PE
As one ticket your bags should be checked through to AKL at SIN.

At SYD, do not clear customs/immigration or collect bags.

You clear transit security airside - look for the signs or ask.

On the Qantas wing immediately after transit security there is an elevator/lift - select the highest option. This will take you to the mezzanine walkway leading to the Qantas Sydney International Lounges.
djsflynn and Mortonman like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Although the OP didn't ask this I thought I'd bring it up as it may be of use to them: could they access the Qantas business lounge in Singapore by simply presenting the (connecting) J business ticket for AKL?

-RooFlyer88
Old May 10, 2024, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
Although the OP didn't ask this I thought I'd bring it up as it may be of use to them: could they access the Qantas business lounge in Singapore by simply presenting the (connecting) J business ticket for AKL?
No - there is no eligibility for lounge access in Singapore for the flight from Sydney
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:49 pm

Which lounges?

Looked through few pages and figured here would be best from what could find. Few questions for anyone that may have insight.

looking at getting AA award ticket in Business:
JFK-LAX(AA)-SYD(AA)-CHC(QF)

Layover in LAX would be like 5 hours, SYD would be like 11 hours which is preferable to give time.

Would we be able to access the QF lounge in LAX? What lounge would we have access to in SYD?

Bonus question - Would QF check our bags all the way through or make us pick up in SYD?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 11, 2024, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Looked through few pages and figured here would be best from what could find. Few questions for anyone that may have insight.
looking at getting AA award ticket in Business: JFK-LAX(AA)-SYD(AA)-CHC(QF)
Layover in LAX would be like 5 hours, SYD would be like 11 hours which is preferable to give time.
Would we be able to access the QF lounge in LAX? What lounge would we have access to in SYD?

Bonus question - Would QF check our bags all the way through or make us pick up in SYD?
Would have lounge access based on class of service: business.
If you have Oneworld emerald status can access a better first lounge.

LAX
Look here for AA / Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline / business
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lou...s?location=LAX
Note the opening~closing times

SYD
Less options
Look here for QF / Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline / business
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lou...s?location=SYD
Result--> Qantas International Business (SYD) Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD) Terminal 1

For 11 hrs is Sydney would not spend in a lounge. Take the train to the city-habour. Depending on passport will need an AU ETA~visa.
If staying in the lounge is an air side transfer of international arrivals, security check and to international departures area. No immigration~customs.
Is a 10:20 SYD-CHC. Would be my first preference to the later 18:55 flight

If all flights on 1 PNR AA will interline bags JFK-CHC. Nothing to do with QF, as AA are your first carrier.
Note QF fly JFK-AKL, but getting awards very hard.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Old May 11, 2024, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I certainly will not spend 11 hours in any lounge in Syd. I would get to CHC as best as possible, even if via WLG, akl etc, or economy on QF, JQ, NZ etc. apart from the 11 hours you are getting into CHC very late, and are missing an afternoon. Even if you have access to the F lounge you will have better food, ambience, service, and wine at most pubs. Either in NZ or AU.

11 hours in Syd, there is so much to do, and could easily get a cheapish day room at a city hotel, lunch in manly, walk around the harbour, shopping, exercise, gym, swim, walk around some of the other less travelled suburbs. Even out to the blue mountains if you like. And this is from someone who is not overly fond of Sydney.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:45 am

Thanks for both replies.

11 hours in SYD is perfect as we plan to do a few things around town. Were not huge city fans and lived in NYC before so between that and the high cost of extending a stopover, 11 hours is great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.