Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Australia (Mel) to Europe for Sept/Oct 24

Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I've been looking for Qantas flight options for a travel for me and my partner for our honeymoon to Europe. We are looking to travel for about 3 weeks, and mostly aiming to be around Mid to North Italy, Austria, Swiss and maybe try do Budapest/Prague if we have time.
Just reaching out to know how can I maximise my points/rewards for traveling from home to Europe, for example would a specific airport in europe have more options.
We can consider flying in to Per or Syd if that helps.
Alternatively, should I consider looking for reward tickets on AA or other partner websites instead of only on the Qantas website?

Thanks for your inputs,
Varun
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

varunkunnath Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by varunkunnath
I've been looking for Qantas flight options for a travel for me and my partner for our honeymoon to Europe. We are looking to travel for about 3 weeks, and mostly aiming to be around Mid to North Italy, Austria, Swiss and maybe try do Budapest/Prague if we have time.
Just reaching out to know how can I maximise my points/rewards for traveling from home to Europe, for example would a specific airport in Europe have more options.
We can consider flying in to PER or SYD if that helps.
Alternatively, should I consider looking for reward tickets on AA or other partner websites instead of only on the Qantas website?
If you have Qantas points you can only book award flights via the QF web site or phone. Do you have QF status?
If you do not have enough QF points now start looking for cash fares.

Depending on class of travel 2 off awards may be hard to get. A lot harder for business class. Often better to book one ways, from/to different airports to maximise the odds. The hardest to get are the flights departing from AU and arriving into AU.

Sept-Oct 2024 is not far away for awards. Start looking *now* (or last month~year).. You are way behind 1000's of others looking for awards. Some may have got award flights.

QF fly to LHR (London), CDG (Paris) & FCO (Rome). Otherwise you are relying on QF ff partners, EK, BA, CX MH etc. QR Qatar offer few awards to QF Qantas.

Congratulations on the forthcoming marriage and best of luck with flights.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 26, 2024 at 11:36 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
varunkunnath Welcome to FT

If you have Qantas points you can only book award flight via the QF web site or phone. Do you have QF status?
If you do not have enough QF points now start looking for cash fares.

Depending on class of travel 2 off awards may be hard to get. A lot harder for business class. Often better to book one ways, from/to different airports to maximise the odds.
Sept-Oct 2024 is not far away for awards. Start looking *now* (or last month~year).. You are way behind 1000's of others looking for awards. Some may have got award flights. The hardest to get are the flights departing from AU and arriving into AU.

QF fly to LHR (London), CDG (Paris) & FCO (Rome). Otherwise you are relying on QF ff partners, EK, BA, CX MH etc. QR Qatar offer few awards to QF Qantas.

Congratulations on the forthcoming marriage and best of luck with flights.
Thanks heaps for that input.
Yes, we should have started looking last year, but unfortunately couldn't begin the planning at that stage. I do have Gold status, but still was finding it hard to get the award tickets. Will try one way with different airports.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold status gives you a better chance than for many others.
Look at where EK fly to. But getting out of/into MEL will be the hardest segments
Good luck.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There is more to QF than QF. Try some odd ducks such as MH via ADL, QR via PER, BA sometimes floods some seats - and can switch the flight numbers in SIN. CX have some poorly timed flights late out of MEL and SYD that combined with a day or two in HKG can be fun. Also BNE.

QF also have the QF plus rewards or whatever they are called which to be fair and while an uplift did when I did glance offer some fares in J.

otherwise for cash fares, AY are often competitive, so too are JAL. Also if cash look are different cities in EU as well.

lots of threads on here and also the BA site, on getting cheaper fares to EU.

congrats btw

KF
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
When I did look for flights last year out of Oz that was impossible. But I got good results out of Kuala Lumpur (Emirates First & Business and quite good availability) or SIN (much less but some options). So maybe also consider to buy a flight to one of these 2 and then start your points trip from there. KUL/SIN flights are not too expensive and 8hr is just bearable.
Just its 2 tickets so if something goes wrong it can get messy.

Recently I have seen that on short notice (departure within 3 days) some Emirates points flights get available to book all the way from Oz to Europe (incl. First). But not always, so that is a big gamble of course with the plans you have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.