Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

BA reward on QF oversold, rebooked onto NZ

Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ/QF/BA

Hi team. Had a BA reward ticket booked on QF153 MEL-AKL today departing at 1.55pm (only flight on the BA ticket). Apparently the flight was oversold (according to the nice QF lounge lady who helped me out) so QF "proactively" (to put it politely) rebooked me onto NZ128 MEL-AKL departing at 5:00pm (so 3h05mins delay). Am a NZ lounge member so luckily I'm spending the extra time in the NZ lounge. I was wondering do I get any sort of compenstation for this? Given it was ticketed on BA stock would I benefit from the EU regulations? Does AU have any regulations? (I am aware New Zealand has nothing to cover cases like this). Apologiers if this has been answered previously but the posts I looked at didn't seem to cover this edge case.

Anyway, funny thing is this incident is a bit of a own goal for QF. I hadn't flown them in years (last flight was pre-COVID) but given I am going to be doing a lot of AKL-MEL returns over the next coupe of years, today's QF flight was a test to see whether it was worth switching to QF from NZ for my tasman travels. Based on today's experience I suspect I am better off just renewing my NZ lounge membership and sticking with NZ for tasman flights. NZ service isn't great but at least with NZ lounge membershop I won't be the last cab off the rank when it comes to disruptions.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. I was wondering do I get any sort of compensation for this? Given it was ticketed on BA stock would I benefit from the EU regulations? Does AU have any regulations?
No
No. Based on operating airline (not marketed). Needs to be a flight from UK-EU (any airline). Or to UK-EU if operated by UK-EU airline
No

Has been noise in the AU parliament about an EU261 type scheme. But will take years to implement, if at all.
--> https://www.theguardian.com/australi...lition-details

Should be able to credit to a Star Alliance ffp.
KiwiSurfer likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 25, 2024 at 9:25 pm
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No
No
No

Has been noise in the AU parliament about an EU261 type scheme. But will take years to implement, if at all.
--> https://www.theguardian.com/australi...lition-details

Should be able to credit to a Star Alliance ffp.
Yes that was what I was expecting. Yep will be crediting to NZ ffp as thats my main ffp anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
No, No and No

And you were quite lucky that you were not put on the next available QF service even if that was next day, or ferried up to SYD.

KF
KiwiSurfer and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
No, No and No

And you were quite lucky that you were not put on the next available QF service even if that was next day, or ferried up to SYD.

KF
Indeed, QF has a very particular way of looking at their contractual obligations.
Koru Flyer and nivsy like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Indeed, QF has a very particular way of looking at their contractual obligations.
Not nearly as bad as its highly parasitic partner AA who loves to do the bare minimum and has gotten fined multiple times for not providing proper compensation after overbooking flights
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
Not nearly as bad as its highly parasitic partner AA who loves to do the bare minimum and has gotten fined multiple times for not providing proper compensation after overbooking flights
QF goes one step further and argues in front of the Australian regulator that it actually doesn't sell tickets for a particular flight at all. Instead they are selling a bundle of rights to get a customer from A to B in some way and at a time of the airline's choosing.
Koru Flyer and fairhsa like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.